Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains

DesiChap

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains So on Neutral territory he won 21 out of 47...against non-minnows (btw Zimbabwe Pre-player revolt was NOT really a minnow in the Bangladesh, et.al category...but for calculation sake...OK count them as minnows)... that is still WAY HIGHER than 23%.... So isn't the 23% statistic BULLSHIT?

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains But the BIGGEST Surprise of all is that Ganguly ONLY captained India 36 times AT HOME out of 146 total times Dravid has already captained India 36 times AT HOME out of merely 62 total times... Of course his record will be better... India are different team at HOME versus OVERSEAS... Dravid himself will attest to that... having been defeated 1-4 in Windies, as well as in South Africa, Malaysia, etc....

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains I want Bheembhai... to weigh in on this... he is the Stats man... Isn't the article MISLEADING in its presentation of Stats? What is clear from the Stats I see is that under Ganguly India won lot of matches overseas... and not as many at home... Dravid has a slightly better home record...but his overseas record is slightly worse than Ganguly's even after excluding minnows... Also it is clear that BCCI is playing a LOT of HOME ODIs now...while when Ganguly was Captain they were almost completely a ROAD ODI team...playing non-stop all over the world...

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains

But the BIGGEST Surprise of all is that Ganguly ONLY captained India 36 times AT HOME out of 146 total times Dravid has already captained India 36 times AT HOME out of merely 62 total times... Of course his record will be better... India are different team at HOME versus OVERSEAS... Dravid himself will attest to that... having been defeated 1-4 in Windies, as well as in South Africa, Malaysia, etc....
Tell the full story Birbal sahab. Ganguly's captaincy record at home in those 36 matches is quite mediocre - split 18 wins and 18 losses; amounting to a win % of 50%. Compare this to Dravid's win % of 62%. Under Ganguly, India did lose their invincibility somewhat - as reflected by the results vs WI (lost 3-4) and a PITIFUL England side (drew 3-3 after taking a 3-1 lead). So to argue that India would have had a better record had Ganguly played more matches at home isn't a convincing argument.

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains The point is NOT so much that Ganguly would have a better record if India played a lot at home... but rather that Dravid's overall record is BOOSTED by only having played 26 matches overseas... And you have conveniently sidestepped all the FALSE numbers the article states... Where can you show me that Ganguly's overseas win Percentage against non-minnows...however you define "overseas" is 23%...that is JUST A MADE UP Number...

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains now that the fats in the fire let us see dravids record vs Real non minnows that is the aussies and SA under dravid india have Team Played Won Aus 6 1 SA 6 2 outside the subcontinent he has won one against WI and one against WI in Malaysia and one against Pak in UAE. Of course he hasnt played that much outside the sub continent.

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains Get over it fellas, you guys are still discussing who's better among Ganguly and Rahul Dravid while the team and Ganguly himself has moved on. It is unfortunate people still can't see the big picture still.

Get over it fellas' date=' you guys are still discussing who's better among Ganguly and Rahul Dravid while the team and Ganguly himself has moved on. It is unfortunate people still can't see the big picture still.[/quote'] ..you can say that again Happy to see ganguly hit those sixes under dravid or whoever

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains Ravi the Big picture is stats. We love them. We quote them at all times to show who the greatest is blah blah blah. But we alwas miss the tiny picture where it can be seen that by choosing (or rejecting, or modifying) a certain sample, results can be manipulated; We love counting Zim as a minnows but why did we never win a test series against them until the last time? If Bangladesh and Zim can be considered outliers why not Australia and SA? After all we tend to loose to them all the time. We should only take the median values and be happy with it. (Thats the mathemetian in me speaking) What all these beautiful numbers do not signify is the tiny picture that we love to ignore.

Ravi OH we CAN see the BIG picture... but I don't want SHODDY journalism to go unchallenged... Nobody has been able to explain to me where the 23% wins number came from... can you?
To be honest I didn't even read the original article. I don't even bother looking at any article that is based on comparing captains. It just doesn't serve any purpose particularly knowing that Rahul Dravid is leading the team into the world cup. The media is stupid to even envisage on an article like this at this point in time.

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains write is very unclear..he might have some data..but he has not intrepreted well...not sure what he means by away games... When I get time I will dig some info on this.. Its never a good idea to compare two captains, one has captained 5 years and other is about 1 year or so..

Exclude matches against the minnows and Dravid's success rate drops to 54%, but Ganguly's goes down to 43% and Azhar's to 49%.
This is the key stat of the article. Clearly shows Dravid is the numero uno ODI captain of India, statistically, busting all myths about his captaincy. I would expect a comparison of Chappell and Wright to yield similar results (since their resp eras coincided with Dravid & Gangs).

Re: Dravid has best ODI success rate among Indian captains Thanks Bheembhai.. exactly as I thought.. Anyway it has been two days and NOBODY has explained to me where the guy got Ganguly's winning percentage overseas as being 23% That was such a FIB...that it it shocking that even ToI would publish it...