SRT recommended MSD for captaincy

fineleg

Take it with a pinch, grain or even ton of salt. Recall that, during monkeygate, Pawar claimed that SRT called him on his mobile with some advice or opinion. Later, SRT denied having made such a call. To me, it looks like the BCCI babus love to be associated with SRT; it gives them a dignity that they themselves lack.

Guest HariSampath

It is as obvious as daylight that Sachin declined the captaincy after Dravid to be able to concentrate on and focus on batting. Also, he did not want to take the risk of leading in Australia as everyone thought then that we would be thrashed 4-0. It was not exactly the most selfless move, but understandable as he proved by clicking as a batter. Sachin sucks as a captain anyway and it was the best decision in his own interest too.

It is as obvious as daylight that Sachin declined the captaincy after Dravid to be able to concentrate on and focus on batting. Also, he did not want to take the risk of leading in Australia as everyone thought then that we would be thrashed 4-0. It was not exactly the most selfless move, but understandable as he proved by clicking as a batter. Sachin sucks as a captain anyway and it was the best decision in his own interest too.
I assume you're responding to my post. Let me clarify: am not denying that SRT declined the captaincy. I am wary of taking Pawar's word that SRT recommended Dhoni. It may well be true, but I don't trust the source.
Guest HariSampath

I agree that Pawar is completely untrustworthy and from his statement on the T20 selections it is obvious, because what happened before T20 was different. It was Rahul Dravid who had informed the selectors that the big 3 was not interested in being considered for the T20 as they felt it was a youngsters game. The events of that week are still fresh, Dravid was not too popular with Sachin for having jumped the gun and included Sachin in the "non availability" list. Sachin was keen to play , it was reported in many sections. I can almost say for sure that Dravid knew that he and ganguly would not be selected, and if Sachin alone were to play , it would be a setback to RD and SG in their ODI careers, so Dravid and SG almost arm twisted sachin into agreeing not to play T20.

I agree that Pawar is completely untrustworthy and from his statement on the T20 selections it is obvious, because what happened before T20 was different. It was Rahul Dravid who had informed the selectors that the big 3 was not interested in being considered for the T20 as they felt it was a youngsters game. The events of that week are still fresh, Dravid was not too popular with Sachin for having jumped the gun and included Sachin in the "non availability" list. Sachin was keen to play , it was reported in many sections. I can almost say for sure that Dravid knew that he and ganguly would not be selected, and if Sachin alone were to play , it would be a setback to RD and SG in their ODI careers, so Dravid and SG almost arm twisted sachin into agreeing not to play T20.
Well, Hari, if thats the case, then its very sad. It is possible and probable. But we do not have any proof of that. But if that was the case, RD and SG could not really get away for long. Now they have been dropped and Sachin is winning matches for India with the youger generation.
Guest HariSampath

^ We may not have any direct proof, but see the reactions/players statements after tour of England and you will see I am right. When in England , Dhoni was announced as T20 captain, and immediately Vengsarkar and Co said publicly that Dravid had conveyed to selection committee that the Big 3 did not want to be considered. Later after the team returned home, Sachin partially confirmed it. But after the T20 wc win, it became very clear that Sachin would have loved to be part of the T20 team. At NO point did Sachin ever say to Pawar in England that he didn't want to play T20, but it became very obvious that it was the combined effect of Dravid and Ganguly. Sachin and Dravid had always an uneasy relationship, all the while being very polite and decent in public as they both are gentlemen, but most cricket watchers know they are not exactly friends.

^ We may not have any direct proof, but see the reactions/players statements after tour of England and you will see I am right. When in England , Dhoni was announced as T20 captain, and immediately Vengsarkar and Co said publicly that Dravid had conveyed to selection committee that the Big 3 did not want to be considered. Later after the team returned home, Sachin partially confirmed it. But after the T20 wc win, it became very clear that Sachin would have loved to be part of the T20 team. At NO point did Sachin ever say to Pawar in England that he didn't want to play T20, but it became very obvious that it was the combined effect of Dravid and Ganguly. Sachin and Dravid had always an uneasy relationship, all the while being very polite and decent in public as they both are gentlemen, but most cricket watchers know they are not exactly friends.
Well, out of the three, Sachin is the onyl batsman who can contribute positively in a T20 match. Where Dravid can not score fast, Ganguly's fielding is horrible. Yes, if Dravid did that, he didnt really leave Sachin much option than to stay clear of the T20s. Yes, we know that Sachin and RD do not share a confortable relationship. But I thought he had a better understanding with SG. I can only hope that with all youngsters, this team will have less politics.