SRT recommended MSD for captaincy

fineleg

Guest HariSampath

No doubt SRT had recommended Dhoni and now Dhoni is repaying his gratitude by getting rid of 2 of the "big 3" from ODIs , and surely next in line will be getting rid of both of them in tests LOL. SRT probably feels those 2 have cashed in on his own form far too long :D ( btw someone declared when Sachin was 190, right ? )

Guest HariSampath
That declaration was bad form from Dravid...still stings with me... But come now Hari, Dravid and Ganguly are great test players in their own right man...they haven't been riding SRT's coattails all this while...
In tests , Rahul and saurav certainly worth their places independently, but I wont call them great. In tests. Sachin is great, rahul fantastic and saurav good, thats about it. In ODIs these two have certainly been hanging on to Sachin's abilities and performances for a while now, behind that facade of the undefined "big three"
In tests , Rahul and saurav certainly worth their places independently, but I wont call them great. In tests. Sachin is great, rahul fantastic and saurav good, thats about it. In ODIs these two have certainly been hanging on to Sachin's abilities and performances for a while now, behind that facade of the undefined "big three"
What, Rahul isnt great? Thats why he averages 55. His average when India won under Gangu was an incredible 102. He is a true matchwinner.
Guest HariSampath
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2004/mar/29tendulkar.htm Sourav Ganguly signalled the declaration before stand-in captain Rahul Dravid waved to Tendulkar to return to the pavilion. http://www.hindu.com/2004/04/30/stories/2004043000932100.htm ``In the Sydney Test we declared with Rahul (Dravid) in the 90's. As far as I am concerned this incident of Multan is a chapter closed."
NO WAY. It was Dravid who declared the inngs close after Yuvi got out. Read John Wright's account in " Indian Summers", where he has openly written that Dravid was the one who did it, and also that Wright himself wanted the inngs to be closed earlier when Sachin was 160 odd, but Dravid, having told the batters he wanted to bowl 15 overs at Pakistan, sent messages to Sachin after tea twice , but when Sachin didn't look like getting a move on, Dravid closed when Sachin was 194, on Yuvi's dismissal. In fact it was well known there was a "high voltage drama" in the dressing room after that. It may be remembered that Sachin told a press conference he was disappointed for not getting 200, and Saurav Ganguly had also told Wright he was concerned these differences would affect the team.
In tests. Sachin is great, rahul fantastic and saurav good, thats about it. In ODIs these two have certainly been hanging on to Sachin's abilities and performances for a while now, behind that facade of the undefined "big three"
You're a hard man Hari! But...one would have to say...a fair one...though I think that Dravid could be greater than what he is now if he did not have to carry so much responsibility for solidifying the batting line up in tests...anchor role...very unselfish player he has been. I think he curtailed a lot of his more aggressive strokeplay throughout his career for the requirements of the team and situation.
Guest HariSampath
What' date=' Rahul isnt great? Thats why he averages 55. His average when India won under Gangu was an incredible 102. He is a true matchwinner.[/quote'] Sure he averages 55, but I cannot classify him as "great". For me, any batter who is great needs to be able to collar a test attack at will and turn test matches around in one session. Sachin can and has done this several times, but Dravid cannot. Yes he can play long inngs and get 150 etc, but scoring 80-100 in 2 hours or so to turn a test match , he cant, and I certainly dont put him equal to sachin in any form of the game. Thats why I said "fantastic" but not "great" in tests.
Sure he averages 55' date=' but I cannot classify him as "great". For me, any batter who is great needs to be able to collar a test attack at will and turn test matches around in one session. Sachin can and has done this several times, but Dravid cannot. Yes he can play long inngs and get 150 etc, but scoring 80-100 in 2 hours or so to turn a test match , he cant, and I certainly dont put him equal to sachin in any form of the game. Thats why I said "fantastic" but not "great" in tests.[/quote'] A great Test Batsman is someone who wins matches for his country with the number of runs he scores. When RD scores big, India usually wins.
Guest HariSampath
You're a hard man Hari! But...one would have to say...a fair one...though I think that Dravid could be greater than what he is now if he did not have to carry so much responsibility for solidifying the batting line up in tests...anchor role...very unselfish player he has been.
I am not being uduly hard . I give both of them their due in tests, and only in ODIs I am scathing on them ! The problem is Dravid had been anchoring the batting ship far too often when the ship was trying to sail...and had sunk several times...in any case...anchored ships aint go nowhere :haha:

Yes...he has been guilty of not being able to change gears...I will give you that...but his one gear batting has rendered yeoman service for India over the years. Now that he is free of captaincy and India look a more solid line up with a potent bowling attack as well...I saw glimpses of him trying to play in a higher gear in Oz...didn't quite come off there...but he has the time, mental strength, talent and the technique to get it right. We may see some truly great cricket from him in the last phase of his career, when he can play with more abandon. So I predict anyway. Let's wait and see.

Guest HariSampath
A great Test Batsman is someone who wins matches for his country with the number of runs he scores. When RD scores big' date=' India usually wins.[/quote'] I will tell you what a great test inngs is in my opinion, then you may decide who a great player is. In 1984, Windies were playing a very good England side at Lord's. I used to be listening to Test match special all the time and along with a friend I was walking to the beach listening to TMS on the 5th day morn session when England captain Gower declared giving himself some 70 overs to take 10 wkts and Windies to get 344 to win. Kris Srikkanth saw me and my friend , and stopped his car to listen to the commentary for a couple of min, and I remember telling him at the inngs change " Cheeka, enough time for Viv to get 100 ? " because I knew Cheeka was a great fan of Viv. Cheeka said " No way , Viv wont even get to bat, Gordon will get 200 and Windies win"...guess what happened ? Windies 344-1 . CG Greenidge 214 notout , match won in 64 overs and Viv didnt get to bat !!. One of the many flukiest predictions I had seen Cheeka make, they all click ! This is a matchwinning inngs , on the 5th day afternoon of a test, set 340+ and 68 overs, going for it and a batting display that has even the fielding side gaping open mouthed. 214 N. O in 240 balls, out of 344-1, in a Lord's test when most batters would have been happy drawing the game. Dravid would have thought only of drawing a test match in those circumstances, and possibly done it well too. Someone like Viv, Gordon etc will not even pause to think anything else except winning the game. My problem with Dravid is he starts out trying to play safe and defensive, and his mindset is always "safety first, and last", and that to me is NOT the mentality of any sporting great.
Guest HariSampath
Yes...he has been guilty of not being able to change gears...I will give you that...but his one gear batting has rendered yeoman service for India over the years. Now that he is free of captaincy and India look a more solid line up with a potent bowling attack as well...I saw glimpses of him trying to play in a higher gear in Oz...didn't quite come off there...but he has the time' date= mental strength, talent and the technique to get it right. We may see some truly great cricket from him in the last phase of his career, when he can play with more abandon. So I predict anyway. Let's wait and see.
Where and when ??? :omg: wish you had told me, I would have loved to see Dravid shift gear any day ! The one I saw in Oz was playing out session after session in a tortured manner, and tortured most Indian fans too, the only ball he tried to hit in the series, he got out slogging on 91 in Perth. I think his days are getting over and he wont be able to play with gay abandon as you say. He may yet play a couple of good inngs, but the point is he too instinctively knows that all it takes is 4-5 test failures and selectors will be taking a hard look at his place. This puts additional pressure on him, as he knows players like Gambhir, Rohit, Yuvraj, Badrinath et al are all eyeing one spot in the test lineup, and although Dravid knows he is safe for the moment, who knows what 3-4 test failures more can do ? And after another series, if selectors feel that Kumble has had enough and Dhoni is formally given the test team, I dont think Dhoni is a captain who will tolerate too many failures, as he has his own plans and vision for Indian cricket and if that means getting rid of Dravid, Ganguly and even Kumble, Dhoni will do it with a smile.
Guest HariSampath

^ ya I know srikkanth btw...did you know that Srikkanth had given an interview here on ICF...it was a couple of months back I think, you will find that thread if you search.