Other sports will suffer due to IPL: Karun Chandhok

veer

NEW DELHI, April 21: Renowned racer Karun Chandhok fears the growing popularity of cricket through the Indian Premier League will make it more difficult for other sports to compete for sponsorship and attention. "Cricket has made itself into a fantastic marketing property which is unmatched by anything, except Bollywood, in India. Now they have IPL which is a fantastic idea and going to take things to a whole new level and makes it difficult for any of us in other sports to raise the sponsorship we need," Chandhok said in an interview. Chandhok himself could not stay untouched by the glamour of IPL and is supporting Mahendra Singh Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings. "I am going to follow IPL for sure. I am from Chennai and will cheer for my team. With Dhoni, Murali and the rest, we have a great chance to win." Chandhok, who is at Brackley in England preparing for main GP2 series, said. He will take part in the 21-race series which starts next week in Barcelona. One of the leading racers in India, Chandhok is quite happy with the progress Indians have made worldwide. "Having two drivers running at the front of GP2 and A1 GP (Narain and himself), a team in F1 and an F1 race expected very shortly has earned India a lot of credibility in motorsports," said the ace racer. Chandhok is aiming to be a part of the Formula One circuit and said a lot depends on his performances this year. He would ideally want to be racing in an F1 car next year, but is open to become a full-time test driver too. "It is not an easy task, but then being in F1 is a place for only the best 22 drivers in the world," Chandhok opined. He is happy with the performance of Force India team in the ongoing F1 season. "The team seem to have made a good step forward in performance. The technical department seems to be a lot stronger and they have more resources at their disposal. They now have to keep up the performance throughout the season," Chandhok added. ----- I really feel our future in Olympics is bleak..