No english please we are pakistanis

Re: No english please we are pakistanis I have no issues with any language they wish to speak in as long as the translator excludes religious references like Inshallah and so on. Or else Inzy's chat would be like a peer/imam's sermon in English :lol:

Re: No english please we are pakistanis

dsr' date=' give these mongs a break. You are expecting too much from them if you think they can learn to comprehend and converse in another language. They are p@kis after all. Gotta account for the brain-cells too, m8.[/quote'] that's harsh, but funny. :lmao:

PORT OF SPAIN, March 9: Pakistan's cricketers will address media conferences during the World Cup in their national language Urdu, and not in English, coach Bob Woolmer said on Friday. "The Pakistani players feel comfortable in their national language," the coach said.
This is bogus bullshit! I am all for the use of Urdu(I love Urdu by the way) but what the Pakistani players do not realize is that they are representing their country on International Arena. When I watch Imran or Wasim today expressing their opinions I am certainly impressed by the way they express themselves(even though I may not agree). Personally I prefer the Akram method of Hindi-Urdu-English but Imran(or Sunny's) English is fine too. I will never understand how someone like Inzzy(and others) can spend years with Tableeghi Zamaat and not spend 6 months trying to improve their English. As an ambassador of their country the latter would serve them hugely. xxx
Very True. I remember the great kapil Dev in 1978 barely able to speak English . But during course of time , he learnt it and speaks decently now. Nothing flashy , but is able to get his point across. Why can't these Pakistanis learn it? After all players like Inzi , Razzaq , Afridi have been playing for long time and in English counties too.

Re: No english please we are pakistanis Dang it i am inspired... thats it... i am writing my term paper in hindi. and from now onwards i shall submit all my assignments in devnagri... well to be honest its fun watching them speak in urdu... holding back the tears, suppressing the urge to kill shoaib (the default punch bag)...

Re: No english please we are pakistanis I don't think "English speaking" should be one of the skills to play international cricket. A lot of footballers, tennis stars, gymnasts and plenty of sportmen don't bother speaking English. Why do you fellas prescribe to "Cricket is a English made sport hence speak English"? I just can't understand why so many of you think English speaking is a must for an international athelete. Have you fellas seen the English community even attempt to speak any other language other than their own? I do agree English is a great language and is a good medium for communication but that isn't everything. I have had this debate with couple of my local mates that were at my home commenting about cricket commentary being transmitted in Hindi in one of the games shown here. I gave them enough to think about saying "Cricket" is not for English speaking alone and there is no language barrier as far as sports is concerned. How many of ya guys think the English speaking community will attempt to learn the local language if by chane they have to work for an Indian firm in India? Ziltch. I have couple of guys from USA right now working in the Indian office for the last couple of years and when I visited India last year to catch up with these fellas all they did was mock the local Indian people's accent. Of course I didn't hold back and made them realize their tongue will be in knots if they attempt to speak the local language in India. In the end they agreed they have to fit in the culture and not the other way around if they have to live there. There are a lot of English speaking camera and technical crew employed by Indian firms and they make living out of it but they don't freakin change their language, culture and the rest. They why do you folks expect Pakistani cricketers to change? I think their self respect is commendable and those that don't use English in the walk of life should not really learn it. I don't reckon English is the medium that is used in Pakistan to communicate. Now coming to this how many of you guys feel Greg Chappell, Dave Whatmore, Tom Moody and Bob Woolmer should learn the local language to communicate better with the players?

Re: No english please we are pakistanis direct response to the cricinfo blog?

The most significant thing about the ODI in Visakhapatnam went unnoticed. When the brilliant Chamara Silva walked up to collect his Man of the Match trophy, he answered Arun Lal?s questions in Sinhala. One of his team mates (I think it was his captain) translated for him and us. I wanted to cheer. Every time I watch a South Asian player unfamiliar with English struggling with the language during match ceremonies, I want to shake the team manager and the event organisers. To be forced to express yourself in a language you don?t know at all is agonizing: you feel cretinized. We?ve all experienced this as tourists in strange lands. There?s no reason for an outstanding Sri Lankan or Indian or Pakistani player to make himself look like a stammering moron because some would-be smoothie in a tie and blazer asks a question in English. I hope the Pakistani team management was watching the match and taking notes. To watch a modern great like Inzamam-ul-Haq reduced to pidgin responses because Rameez Raja or some other south Asian suit didn?t have the sense to commission translation is intolerable. To accept, as we do, English as the lingua franca of cricket, shouldn?t mean that we wilfully ignore the fact that the majority of international cricket?s fans (and increasingly its players) are not English speaking. This trend is a good thing because it tells us that cricket?s following in South Asia has real social depth and that it has expanded hugely beyond the subcontinent?s anglosphere. Acknowledging this fact in practice is not a big deal organizationally: you just need a team mate to translate. But it makes a huge difference to the ease and comfort and, yes, dignity of the player. The next time Inzamam walks up to collect a trophy I hope he answers questions in Urdu or Punjabi. Silva and the Sri Lankans may not know it, but they?re pioneers in the business of getting cricket to acknowledge its great cultural diversity.
on another note, did anyone see karthik's interview after todays game against WI. dude speaks pretty well, and seems smart too...

on another note, did anyone see karthik's interview after todays game against WI. dude speaks pretty well, and seems smart too...
karthick's parents were in the middle east for a while and the guy went to some CBSE school there.

I think their self respect is commendable and those that don't use English in the walk of life should not really learn it. I don't reckon English is the medium that is used in Pakistan to communicate. Now coming to this how many of you guys feel Greg Chappell, Dave Whatmore, Tom Moody and Bob Woolmer should learn the local language to communicate better with the players?
Ravi, The reluctance of some of the Pakistani players towards English has nothing to do with their love for Urdu or Punjabi. I have happened to see atleast a few of their interviews in local language(as perhaps you would have as well) and have hardly ever been impressed with their love of language or how they use it. The inability of Pakistani players is more due to their reluctance to learn spoken English rather than anything else. Heck when they give interviews in their local language they keep dropping English word every half a sentence! On an aside note have you ever wondered who are the players with least ability to speak English within Pakistani team? Lets put it this way - who are the players who speak English in a decent manner in Pakistani team? Answers would be Younis Khan, Shoaib Akhtar and Danish Kaneria to an extent. You know whats the common thread joining the three? They are all non-Tableeghis. I for one would not be surprised at all if there is a whole religious angle here somewhere. xxx

Re: No english please we are pakistanis Lurker I don't know where you got the idea Younis Khan can speak English. He is 10 times worse than Inzi. He has no clue about grammer and whatever he speaks goes over my head.

The inability of Pakistani players is more due to their reluctance to learn spoken English rather than anything else.
That's OK isn't it? If they are reluctant to learn English then that is their choice. Why should they be forced to do something that they don't like?
I for one would not be surprised at all if there is a whole religious angle here somewhere.
That is bad for the team and the sport. If this is due to religious cause then I denounce it. I can understand if that's for cultural reasons but religion shouldn't really prompt them to do this.

Re: No english please we are pakistanis They cant speak English properly so what do you expect ? I would rather have them talk in Urdu rather than English..atleast we will be able to understand it..and where does religion come in this ? Afridi can also speak decent english though, ive heard him before...

Lurker I don't know where you got the idea Younis Khan can speak English. He is 10 times worse than Inzi. He has no clue about grammer and whatever he speaks goes over my head.
Ravi check this out. YK doesnt sound worse than Inzzy at all. Sounds fairly decent though hams a bit ala SRK http://criki.com/videos/show/846
Sorry that doesn't sound like a guy with good language skills, I couldn't make out head and tail other than understanding he is talking about HIV. I suppose if he had to talk that much he must have been provided a script. Believe me Lurker he is bad, he hasn't a clue what he says mostly. Younis Khan said in the end "Unite for Childerens" :lol: Guess he can't doesn't know Children is plural.

Lurker I don't know where you got the idea Younis Khan can speak English. He is 10 times worse than Inzi. He has no clue about grammer and whatever he speaks goes over my head.
Ravi check this out. YK doesnt sound worse than Inzzy at all. Sounds fairly decent though hams a bit ala SRK http://criki.com/videos/show/846
Sorry that doesn't sound like a guy with good language skills, I couldn't make out head and tail other than understanding he is talking about HIV. I suppose if he had to talk that much he must have been provided a script. Believe me Lurker he is bad, he hasn't a clue what he says mostly. Younis Khan said in the end "Unite for Childerens" :lol: Guess he can't doesn't know Children is plural.
Don't you reckon he would have done a good job saying this in his local language than making a mockery of the HIV campaign?

as the 1st WC match came to an end' date=' Inzy was heard shouting "we are f****ed" and "b******ds can't chase if I don't score"[/quote'] Been a while Shailesh, where were ya over the last couple of weeks?

Bunch of losers --------------------------------------- PORT OF SPAIN, March 9: "They can express themselves freely in Urdu and they are proud of their language and their country. Our media manager Pervez Mir will act as interpreter during the press conferences."
Ghanta proud...saala english bolna nahi aata woh bolo ! :lmao:

Re: No english please we are pakistanis Sheesh, does Bob chacha have to finally given up coaching the team in English ? I pity Woolmer. Till date, the players didnt have a clue what he taught them, now by switching language, the coach wont have a clue what he teaches them :hic: