Disgraceful stuff from england. no sportsman ship

PAUL COLLINGWOOD’S England future is in doubt after revelations he went AGAINST the umpire’s advice in the great run-out controversy. Umpire Mark Benson admits he urged the England skipper NOT to appeal when New Zealand’s Grant Elliott failed to make his ground after colliding with Ryan Sidebottom. And things got dramatically worse for Durham all-rounder Collingwood when he was banned for FOUR games for England’s bad over-rate during the one-day series. Benson could be seen with his hands on Collingwood’s shoulders explaining the options as Elliott was receiving treatment at The Oval. Benson told SunSport: “I said to Paul, ‘Are you sure you want to uphold this appeal bearing in mind the spirit of the game?’. “I tried to give him some time by going over to Steve Davis at square leg while Grant Elliott was being treated. I didn’t want to pressurise him into a decision. “I’m not going to say whether he did the right thing. That’s up to him. “Paul could have called back the batsman at any time until he crossed the boundary. "Paul thought Ryan Sidebottom was going for the ball legitimately, which he was. There was no wilful obstruction.†New Zealand won the bitter contest by one wicket but Elliott is now doubtful for tomorrow’s final one-dayer at Lord’s with a bruised left thigh. The umpires can call ‘dead ball’ if they think a player is seriously injured. But Benson added: “Calling dead ball is a tricky one. You could get a situation where any player who thinks he is going to be run out falls in a heap clutching his hamstring.†Former England one-day spinner JEREMY SNAPE has been appointed South Africa’s performance director.