In pressure games, India could miss Tendulkar - Jayasuriya

found this article on TOI epaper

Sanath Jayasuriya This tournament has progressed smoothly from a Sri Lankan perspective. We have played some excellent cricket and we’ve won all our matches convincingly. However, on Thursday it will get tougher because India look like they will be by far our toughest opponents. We may already be in the final but we don’t anticipate changing things around too much. We want to win every match we play in this tournament, and we certainly don’t want to sacrifice momentum going into Sunday’s final. We’re aiming for the same high intensity as a knockout game. Sri Lanka have a pretty good record against India of late.:finger: We had a disastrous 7-match ODI series back at the end of 2005 — a time when our team was in a state of flux after the arrival of Tom Moody — but have competed well overall, especially the big games like in the World Cup. We, therefore, have the self-belief that we can win both our matches against India :hmmmm2:. Our top order is in form, we’ve got the liveliest fielding outfit in the tournament, and we have one of the strongest and bestbalanced bowling attacks. Nevertheless, I have been impressed with this new India team. The decision to blood youngsters was a bold move by the Indian selectors. The likes of Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid remain world-class players and both would walk into most international teams today. If you can leave out players of their calibre and continue winning then that is a huge positive for India. Personally, though, despite things going well to date, I think they could miss Sachin Tendulkar now that the big pressure games are arriving. He remains, in my book, a key matchwinner. The Indian batting has a strong feel after several powerful performances, but the calm authority and vast experience of Sachin is irreplaceable.