Dhoni is a poor test match player!

Finally a sensible argument - even I've said Dhoni is a better batsman than Mongia. However' date=' that does not take away from the fact that Mongia has played at least two innings at Kotla and Chennai which Dhoni has not been able to replicate despite his supposed vast superiority. At least you are not trying to tell me that Faisalabad was a bigger minefield than Kotla or Anderson, Tremlett, and Sidebottom are better than Akram, Waqar, and Saqlain though you did try to peddle that Steyn is greater than all 3 combined briefly.[/quote'] So Dhoni's knock of 76* to save the Lords' test isn't even comparable to Mongia's 50 odd even though Dhoni went on to save the Test batting with the last wkt and Mongia ended up on the losing side :facepalm:
Isnt this thread about WK Batsman and Dhoni isnt that poor a WK as you are trying to suggest he is.
Yeah, regularly muffing up stumpings, caught behinds off spinners, and watching the first slip while hardly moving an inch when an edge flies through, standing so far back that edges don't carry to slips are all signs of a great wicketkeeper. :adore:
Yeah' date=' regularly muffing up stumpings, caught behinds off spinners, and watching the first slip while hardly moving an inch when an edge flies through, standing so far back that edges don't carry to slips are all signs of a great wicketkeeper. :adore:[/quote'] Weren't you the one who was hyping Dhoni's keeping once when compared to DK or is this a recent change of heart? :winky:
So Dhoni's knock of 76* to save the Lords' test isn't even comparable to Mongia's 50 odd even though Dhoni went on to save the Test batting with the last wkt and Mongia ended up on the losing side :facepalm:
So, Tendulkar's 136 in the same innings is crap compared to Lara's 153 because the latter resulted in a win, forget a draw?
Yeah' date=' regularly muffing up stumpings, caught behinds off spinners, and watching the first slip while hardly moving an inch when an edge flies through, standing so far back that edges don't carry to slips are all signs of a great wicketkeeper. :adore:[/quote'] Who said he is a great WK ? He is a safe WK who takes most of the chances that comes his way .Actually his keeping has improved in the last 4-5 years ,earlier on his career he wasnt a that safe a keeper but now he is very good IMO and if you want to talk about muffed up stumpings and dropped catches,every WK in world cricket makes mistakes.................:winky:
So' date=' Tendulkar's 136 in the same innings is crap compared to Lara's 153 because the latter resulted in a win, forget a draw?[/quote'] I never said any innings is or was cr@p. In fact it is you who has been hell-bent on proving that Dhoni's innings was useless as it came on a "featherbed" and against "lesser bowlers". In fact you mentioned that Dhoni hasn't even played a knock which Mongia had and I disagreed. I have maintained that both knocks were good and comparable and that you can't simply pass blanket statements that player A could never play the knock played by player B. To me Mongia's knock was as good as Dhoni's just as is the case with SRT and Lara's knocks, and if I may add Gavaskar's knock of 96 against Pak at B'lore.
Not just better' date=' you were heaping superlatives about his keeping, IIRC.[/quote'] I am sure not in the last year or so, when his keeping has gone down to the extent that he regularly muffs up at least one chance in a match. Even with this decline he is better than Karthik and Parthiv.
What's there to explain - different attacks, different pitches, different proportion of catches going behind the stumps? Pick up any Australian or South African keeper and their dismissals per innings ratio is going to blow Dhoni to pieces. That's why it's a good idea to watch cricket rather than run numbers.
I am sure not in the last year or so' date=' when his keeping has gone down to the extent that he regularly muffs up at least one chance in a match. Even with this decline he is better than Karthik and Parthiv.[/quote'] I agree his keeping has gone down, not to the extent of the hyperbole you are spewing though. And KKD was a damn good keeper when he came on first (in a sense, no one even talked about his keeping much when he debuted) and has become dropthiv's level once he was dropped as a keeper and brought back in as a part timer and then asked to keep in between.
I never said any innings is or was cr@p. In fact it is you who has been hell-bent on proving that Dhoni's innings was useless as it came on a "featherbed" and against "lesser bowlers". In fact you mentioned that Dhoni hasn't even played a knock which Mongia had and I disagreed. I have maintained that both knocks were good and comparable and that you can't simply pass blanket statements that player A could never play the knock played by player B. To me Mongia's knock was as good as Dhoni's just as is the case with SRT and Lara's knocks' date=' and if I may add Gavaskar's knock of 96 against Pak at B'lore.[/quote'] I don't have much to say if you think the following are equivalent : 1. Scoring 152 against McGrath on a pitch where the next highest score was 67 and scoring 148 on a pitch where both first innings were 600 each followed by 500 and Pathan scoring 90. 2. Scoring 52 on a pitch where Akram, Waqar, and Saqlain have reduced your team to 82/5 chasing 260 odd and scoring 76 against Anderson, Tremlett, and Sidebottom where a significant part of the knock was played against Vaughan and Panesar due to bad light in reality.
The Indian bowling attacks have never had the sort of pacers that SAF and Aus have ... which is why it makes sense to compare Dhoni with Indian keepers ... Otherwise Even Kamran Akmal has a better Dismissals to inngs ratio than Kirmani and Dhoni ... :D
Are you trying to tell me Dhoni is better keeper than Kirmani, More, and Mongia?