Best Test XI out of currently playing cricketers

Well...great XI ever is too large a scope. We never saw Hutton, Bradman, Hobbs etc play, so can't judge them. On the other hand, we can think about the best test XI out of currently playing cricketers My XI: 1) Graeme Smith: Gutsy opening batsman. Capable of batting for days, and saving matches as he recently showed against England (when they had deficit of 200+ runs to begin with) 2) Matthew Hayden: Only Sehwag is as aggressive as an opening batsman. However, he is more consistent than Sehwag 3) Kumar Sangakkara (WK): No competition for Sangakkara as best test keeper, now that Gilly's retired 4) Sachin Tendulkar: No better than him at #4. I felt a strokemaker was required here, so didn't even consider Kallis (albeit someone more consistent than Pietersen) 5) Shivnarine Chanderpaul: A real gritty batsman needed here (someone who isn't afraid to let others hit around him). Tossup between him and Ganguly, both can be fiesty customers and both have played some real gritty innings when it mattered. I feel Chanderpaul is slightly better in that aspect than Ganguly. 6) Andrew Symonds: No better #6 in current Test cricket than him. Sure, AB DeVilliers and VVS Laxman were also there, but he fields better than Laxman, and can be more audacious than DeVilliers IMO. 7) Jacob Oram: The all-rounder slot (I consider Flintoff as more of a bowler in this lineup). 8) Andrew Flintoff: Can definitely bat, but boy can he bowl! The colossal Englishman can hurl a swinging ball at 90+ mph, and can have some testing partnerships at #8. 9) Brett Lee: No doubt the best current paceman in the world. He has improved leaps and bounds since McGrath's retirement. 10) Dale Steyn: Up-and-coming paceman. His recent performances have led to insipiring wins (e.g., against India) 11) Muttiah Muralitharan: The spin king. Need I say more :)

Hussey should easily be there mate, possibly instead of some batsmen. Also put jacques kallis instead of jacob oram, and would put stuart clarke instead of flintoff, as no need for two allrounders. or maybe two spiiners then kumble in, all dpends on ppls pick of bowling attack

Well...great XI ever is too large a scope. We never saw Hutton, Bradman, Hobbs etc play, so can't judge them. On the other hand, we can think about the best test XI out of currently playing cricketers My XI: 1) Graeme Smith: Gutsy opening batsman. Capable of batting for days, and saving matches as he recently showed against England (when they had deficit of 200+ runs to begin with) 2) Matthew Hayden: Only Sehwag is as aggressive as an opening batsman. However, he is more consistent than Sehwag 3) Kumar Sangakkara (WK): No competition for Sangakkara as best test keeper, now that Gilly's retired 4) Sachin Tendulkar: No better than him at #4. I felt a strokemaker was required here, so didn't even consider Kallis (albeit someone more consistent than Pietersen) 5) Shivnarine Chanderpaul: A real gritty batsman needed here (someone who isn't afraid to let others hit around him). Tossup between him and Ganguly, both can be fiesty customers and both have played some real gritty innings when it mattered. I feel Chanderpaul is slightly better in that aspect than Ganguly. 6) Andrew Symonds: No better #6 in current Test cricket than him. Sure, AB DeVilliers and VVS Laxman were also there, but he fields better than Laxman, and can be more audacious than DeVilliers IMO. 7) Jacob Oram: The all-rounder slot (I consider Flintoff as more of a bowler in this lineup). 8) Andrew Flintoff: Can definitely bat, but boy can he bowl! The colossal Englishman can hurl a swinging ball at 90+ mph, and can have some testing partnerships at #8. 9) Brett Lee: No doubt the best current paceman in the world. He has improved leaps and bounds since McGrath's retirement. 10) Dale Steyn: Up-and-coming paceman. His recent performances have led to insipiring wins (e.g., against India) 11) Muttiah Muralitharan: The spin king. Need I say more :)
I would say Ponting is better right now. Plus Sanga doesn't keep right now. Just being technical. :-)