England & India- Worrying Parallels

I know Kumble's had a bad year as a bowler but I would like to point at one statistic that has always interested me. On average he takes 30.48% of the wickets that fall in an innings. That means that if twenty wickets fall in an innings he'll take 6 wickets. Harbhajan has a rate of 25% (5 out of 20 wickets) Zaheer Khan 20 (4 out of 20) Ishant Sharma 14% (3 of 20) Even Kapil Dev 23% Slightly lower than Harbhajan and 4-5 out of 20. Keeping in mind that it is rare for 20 wickets to fall in an innings and that run outs/hitwickets mean that 10 wickets aren't always available..Kumble's achieved something quite good. Malcolm Marshall' date=' Glenn McGrath, Alan Donald and even Heath Streak who played with a bunch of incompetents all hover around the 25% mark. Waqar Younis is close with 29.3% and Sydney Barnes took almost 40%...But really I think that's an interesting measure of a bowlers performance...to see how vital he is in the team.[/quote'] It is. You'll see the some metric reflected if you reverse that and see the proportion of runs scored by lone rangers such as Lara and Flower. There's an article or two on this somewhere on this site.