India's medal prospects

triam

Watch out for Indian-American gymnast Raj Bhavsar
This actually makes me glad, that somebody with Indian genetics is breaking the stereotype that Indians cannot be strong enough to participate in strength and power related sports.

With all due respect' date=' Indian-Americans do not count as Indians.[/quote'] I personally wont generalize for all Indian-Americans.. many NRIs would just take pride in whenever India does well or on any achivements.. but like to turn away when somethings is going bad.. like that fellow ICFer 'CC''... so i wont blame you for your view.. I know where I stand and I dont need anyone's approval.. :two_thumbs_up:

I think I came on too strong. I apologize. Here's an explanation: I count as an Indian-American, too (moved here 15 years ago). I am proud of my Indian heritage (I hope you can tell from my posts about Bindra; seeing the Indian flag flying and the National Anthem playing gave me goosebumps). My contention is that these kids are born and brought up here (Rai and Bharadwaj and Bhavsar) and chose to represent the United States. I am happy for them, but in reality, they do not count as Indians, just like my kids don't unless they choose to represent India in some event (which would make me ecstatic!!) To me, the team that walked in Indian clothes at the opening ceremony; the ones who wear the tricolour on their uniforms; the ones for whom the Jana Gana Mana will play when they win a gold; the ones who have overcome all sorts of odds (bad facilities, apathetic government, lack of fan support etc.) to go to the Olympics - THEY are the real Indian athletes.

This actually makes me glad' date=' that somebody with Indian genetics is breaking the stereotype that Indians cannot be strong enough to participate in strength and power related sports.[/quote'] A vindication of the the contention that - given adequate support - Indian athletes can shine in any sport.

Bottom-Line; Those who are born here and recognize themselves with America are not Indian at all. Which is why, it was really bemusing to see the whole of India celebrate when Indian-origian American astronaut, Sunita Williams went into space. That women probably doesnt give a sh!t about India, to be honest.

I think I came on too strong. I apologize. Here's an explanation: I count as an Indian-American, too (moved here 15 years ago). I am proud of my Indian heritage (I hope you can tell from my posts about Bindra; seeing the Indian flag flying and the National Anthem playing gave me goosebumps). My contention is that these kids are born and brought up here (Rai and Bharadwaj and Bhavsar) and chose to represent the United States. I am happy for them, but in reality, they do not count as Indians, just like my kids don't unless they choose to represent India in some event (which would make me ecstatic!!) To me, the team that walked in Indian clothes at the opening ceremony; the ones who wear the tricolour on their uniforms; the ones for whom the Jana Gana Mana will play when they win a gold; the ones who have overcome all sorts of odds (bad facilities, apathetic government, lack of fan support etc.) to go to the Olympics - THEY are the real Indian athletes.
I see where you are coming from CA and yes it is not one of those topics that one can explain very well. You either feel towards India, even if you become an American, or you dont. While I am not a big fan of a Raj Bhavsar what I do appreciate is that they tried to go into a sports that is complete alien to most Indians. It is not that Indian diaspora doesnt have numbers in West, they do but even in West they hang on to India idiosyncracies. And so every other Spelling bee has 50% Indians but track events have none. It is here that I am encouraged to see these American Indians break the mould.

I see where you are coming from CA and yes it is not one of those topics that one can explain very well. You either feel towards India, even if you become an American, or you dont. While I am not a big fan of a Raj Bhavsar what I do appreciate is that they tried to go into a sports that is complete alien to most Indians. It is not that Indian diaspora doesnt have numbers in West, they do but even in West they hang on to India idiosyncracies. And so every other Spelling bee has 50% Indians but track events have none. It is here that I am encouraged to see these American Indians break the mould.
True dat. I was tickled when I found out that the Univ of Oregon's football team had a 6'6" 290-lb defensive lineman of Indian origin (Navraj Singh Bassi - I think he plays in the CFL now). I identify with these athletes in my capacity as an Indian-American, not as an INDIAN. Their accomplishments do nothing for INDIA's sporting success. If we were to celebrate Bhavsar and Rai's accomplishments as Indian accomplishments, why are we not doing the same for Ravindra Bopara, Monty Panesar and Lisa Sthalekar?