Judge the work of the present selection committee as they complete their term !

Chandan

Good for you. That makes your comment even more surprising. Don't worry, this won't be a long debate because you are already wrong and i just have to point it out to you. His average for that season was never 51. I don't know where you are getting these numbers. From the SL series at home in '05 'til the SA tour in '06, he played 14 matches, scored 891 runs at an average of 35.64. Go on, check it yourself. Two fifties against England and WI, a hundred vs WI (180) and the 254 vs PAK at Lahore are the highlights in the middle of a string of low scores. 35.64 sound like a man in form to you ? He deserved to be dropped and India did just fine without him, and now that he's back, he has rediscovered his form of old. Big ups to the selectors
When did I say that season ? Go back and read my post again. I meant that series against west indies wherein he scored 357 runs at an average of 51 and I got this from cricinfo. I am sure if you take a selective filter like that and apply to other members of the fab 5 , then you can certainly make a case for their removal from the team as well. I don't have time for detailed analysis , but just looking at Sachin's number during the same period from '05 'til the SA tour in '06, he played 14 matches, scored 711 runs at an average of 33.84. And this includes just one century ,btw. Go figure !
When did I say that season ? Go back and read my post again. I meant that series against west indies wherein he scored 357 runs at an average of 51 and I got this from cricinfo. I am sure if you take a selective filter like that and apply to other members of the fab 5 ' date=' then you can certainly make a case for their removal from the team as well. I don't have time for detailed analysis , but just looking at Sachin's number during the same period from '05 'til the SA tour in '06, he played 14 matches, scored 711 runs at an average of 33.84. And this includes just one century ,btw. Go figure ![/quote'] Yeah, Tendulkar wasn't playing well back then either. What's your point ? We're talking about Sehwag. The fact is that Sehwag didn't play well over an entire season so he deserved to be dropped. There is no need for "detailed analysis" and other pointless BS here.
Yeah' date=' Tendulkar wasn't playing well back then either. What's your point ? We're talking about Sehwag. The fact is that Sehwag didn't play well over an [b']entire season so he deserved to be dropped. There is no need for "detailed analysis" and other pointless BS here.
My point is obvious ! Sehwag wasn't the only one who failed . He is a rare breed , who can single handedly win us games .. He needs to be treated differently . Should have given him extended lease in the test format wherein he always maintained 50 plus average through out his career. Nothing great about Sachin or VVS performance during the period you highlighted . Heck , VVS averages 39.73 with two centuries to boot ( One against Zimbabwe) . Although , he did get dropped for two matches in the England series. Anyways , don't want to prolong this discussion any longer! Your point is well taken ...

We cannot attribute this selection committee as great. I would say their performance was mixed. The best way to assess the performance of the selectors is how well they select the team. Until recently, the selection committee gambled with the opening paternship looking for short term solution instead of long term solution. The relationship between captain and chairman of the selectors were ok even though - it was very bad with rahul dravid which was the reason for resigning.Because of RD insistence, the twenty 20 team was sans RD, ST and SG which led to 20-20 success.

Infact I remember a comment from Sehwag after he was dropped saying that he was indeed in bad form and other players should get their opportunities. He said that the selector's decision was justified and that he would make a comeback after gaining form in domestic cricket.

Infact I remember a comment from Sehwag after he was dropped saying that he was indeed in bad form and other players should get their opportunities. He said that the selector's decision was justified and that he would make a comeback after gaining form in domestic cricket.
If he really said that, then :hatsoff: That shud be the attitude!

Huh? Selectors getting credited for T20? If anything the credit goes to Dravid, Tendulkar, and Ganguly for opting out and clearing the field for Dhoni and other youngsters. If Dravid had not stepped down at that point it was obvious that he would captain India in the T20 WC and Ganguly/Tendulkar will be part of the squad as well.

Good bye Colonel ADilip Vengsarkar, the selection committee chairman, believes the combined failure of the famed Indian middle order in Sri Lanka was just a one-off instance. More... Good bye Colonel Press Trust Of India September 15, 2008 First Published: 23:01 IST(15/9/2008) Last Updated: 23:55 IST(15/9/2008) 16_09_2008_022_004_014.jpg Dilip Vengsarkar, the selection committee chairman, believes the combined failure of the famed Indian middle order in Sri Lanka was just a one-off instance. The chief selector feels the batsmen must have got over it by now and would start on a fresh and confident note in the upcoming home series against Australia. At the end of his term, the chief selector speaks on various issues. Excerpts: How do you rate India's chances in the series against Australia? India have a good chance. India did really well in Australia and, in fact, should have won the series, but a few crucial decisions went against them. The fact that they ran Aussies so close in the Tests and went on to win the subsequent triangular ODI series will give a big boost to their confidence. Anyhow, it's going to be a closely fought series between two of the world's best Test teams. How much will Andrew Symond's absence weaken Australia? To be honest, we are not concerned if any particular individual is selected or dropped against us. India will need to give their best against Australia, no matter who are the individual it comprises of. How crucial would be Virender Sehwag's role? Well, it's a team game and everyone needs to chip in if the team has to do well. However, Viru is in a great form and he, along with Gambhir, would make things much comfortable for the team if he fires. 16_09_2008_022_004_021.jpgThe middle order failed in Sri Lanka. Have you talked to the seniors and given them tips on how to tackle the Australians? The Indian batting, at present, is the most experienced in world cricket. The Sri Lanka failure was just a one-off instance and I am sure they all are eager to put it behind them and start afresh. Australia have picked a pace-oriented bowling attack. Do you think it looks a bit lop-sided in the absence of a quality spinner? And how does Indian pace attack measure up against theirs? I guess every team wants play to its strength and as far as Australia is concerned, they have a better pace attack than spin. But having said that, they would surely miss the class and experience of Shane Warne on this tour. As for India's pace attack, it looks pretty good with Zaheer Khan and Ishant Sharma fully fit and the former bowling his best. Besides, we have good options in Munaf Patel, R.P. Singh, Sreesanth (if fit), Pravin Kumar et al. Harbhajan Singh seems to have regained his form. Your comments. Harbhajan loves challenges and the Aussies will provide him with a plenty of it. He bowled extremely well in Sri Lanka and I am sure he must be looking forward to the Australian series. How much difference the return of Dhoni will make to the side? It will make a huge difference. He has matured a lot over the years and can handle tough situations with élan. This is the start of a long season for the Indian team, with England touring India after Australia, followed by tours to Pakistan and New Zealand. Is rotating fast bowlers the best way to go about it? It all depends on how the team is performing at a given point in time. Besides, injuries, too, have to be factored in. The BCCI has done a fine job by organising tournaments for 'A' teams; we could always hope someone merging from there and staking a claim to the top level. How could players like Sourav Ganguly and Yuvraj Singh come back into consideration? In cricket, it boils down to form and fitness. After all, one has to deliver and that too consistently. Are you happy with the progress players like Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma and S Badrinath are making and are they waiting in the wings for a spot in the Test squad? Of course, they are on the fringes. They are talented and good movers in the outfield too. However, they will need to keep performing consistently in whatever opportunities they get.

More than dropping Sehwag, I would say, bringing him back for the Australia series was a major / courageous decision. Between his dropping and getting back to the test squad, Sehwag dint do anything great to warrant selection. But the selectors took a gamble cos they thought, if he clicks he click in a big way... and tats exactly what he did... And since then, there is no looking back, as he compiled a 300 against South Africa at home... The gamble to bring Sehwag back for the last Aus series, was one of the high points of this selection committee