Akram plans pace academy in New Delhi

Feed

Every ex-cricketer wants to coach. I am really impressed with the way the 14 and 15-year olds are bowling and batting. The talent just needs to be fine-tuned. This is the best time to learn things. More... Akram plans pace academy Express News Service Posted online: Tuesday , September 02, 2008 at 12:40:43 New Delhi, September 1 : If you thought there was a feel-confident factor with the recently-laid programme of watering Delhi’s cricket grassroots through big hands like Gundappa Vishwanath, Terry Jenner and Wasim Akram, here’s something more to keep you smiling. After the conclusion of his training sessions with Delhi’s pace bunch, the former Pakistan pacer’s stint in the Capital can get longer with a pace academy. “Every ex-cricketer wants to coach. I am really impressed with the way the 14 and 15-year olds are bowling and batting. The talent just needs to be fine-tuned. This is the best time to learn things. They only need to be taught the finer aspects of the game, which can’t be taught beyond this age,” was his first observation after three days of interacting with the Delhi bowlers. DDCA (Delhi and District Cricket Association) sports secretary Sunil Dev came forward with the idea at a press conference today. “It came only as a suggestion from Wasim himself and we too are pleased with it. We don’t want him to go anywhere else,” Dev said. An obvious question followed: Why New Delhi and not Lahore? Akram as if expecting it said: “The idea is to support sport. It has nothing to do with the country. “We look at the pitches putting Australia as the benchmark. We have to get rid of that now. It’s only in the minds. We too had similar conditions to play with. Pace is the most important thing and nothing else matters,” he added. There was a time when Pakistan was considered as the powerhouse of pace bowling, but now, things have changed, “The time has gone when people were more inclined to come to Pakistan to learn. “Now, players are better prepared. They are consistent and regular as well,” Akram said. The former left-arm pacer also placed emphasis on running as one of the most important training methods. “18-24 are the most injury-prone years for an individual as the muscles and bones keep growing. Modern fast bowlers give more importance to gaining weight than running. But to keep away injuries, running is important,” he added. Akram will also be overseeing a two-day camp for school children from September 3.

Akram is wasting his time & money...opening an academy doesnt mean u wil find quality fast bowlers ..Akram shud have learned from the failure of MRF....he will find nothing in the land of trundlers....
This is what i meant with my last post. But you know what, Akram is just a slave, a servant if you like, of Indian cricket. They wave a wad of Indian rupees in front of his face and he follows the Indians around like a lap dog. I think it's safe to say that Indian cricket has claimed ownership of Wazim Akram, he belongs to them now.
Akram is wasting his time & money...opening an academy doesnt mean u wil find quality fast bowlers ..Akram shud have learned from the failure of MRF....he will find nothing in the land of trundlers....
MRF pace academy wasn't a failure, it helped many bowlers anyways the academy is to help youngsters doesn't mean they're looking for the next big thing, but working with whats available stop hating, not even Pakistani's wanna stay in Pakistan
scrubs like you with limited knowledge should be banned and be beaten with chappals. MRF is a failure? :hysterical::hysterical:
This is what i meant with my last post. But you know what, Akram is just a slave, a servant if you like, of Indian cricket. They wave a wad of Indian rupees in front of his face and he follows the Indians around like a lap dog. I think it's safe to say that Indian cricket has claimed ownership of Wazim Akram, he belongs to them now.
U said it :two_thumbs_up:
to be honest pred, he is the ONLY paki i admire a lot. He is humble guy (not in his playing days tho!!):--D
hahahah.....this hilarious stuff....your so called salve is a master thug who is cashing out big time in india...and if you want to claim his as YOUR property by all means do that....we got everything out of him when we OWNED him.
It's not Akram's money - and he is being paid for his time so he isn't wasting anything. Akram might be bored with the "druggists". He seems to have learnt something from that for sure.
well said...:cantstop: