A list of the geatest batsmen ever in ODIs

DomainK

In this very interesting analysis, Ananth Narayanan takes several things into consideration in ranking the top 30 batsmen in the history of the game. The analysis looks fair and intelligent as it considers everything there is to consider. Tendulkar tops the list as the greatest ODI batsman ever followed by the great Viv Richards at no2. Whats interesting is the name of Jatyasuriya at no3. I think Jaya deserves that spot. The very presence of Jaya at no3 shows how the parameters and the method of analysis are very efficient in finding out the good batsmen inspite of low averages and other weak statistics. To me, this is a fair ranking. 1.Ind Tendulkar S.R 2.Win Richards I.V.A 3.Slk Jayasuriya S.T 4.Aus Ponting R.T 5.Aus Gilchrist A.C 6.Win Lara B.C 7.Saf Kallis J.H 8.Pak Inzamam-ul-Haq 9.Aus Bevan M.G 10.Ind Ganguly S.C 11.Pak Saeed Anwar 12.Aus Waugh M.E 13.Aus Symonds A 14.Slk de Silva P.A 15.Win Haynes D.L 16.Saf Gibbs H.H 17.Ind Dravid R 18.Pak Mohammad Yousuf 19.Saf Kirsten G 20.Saf Klusener L 21.Aus Jones D.M 22.Aus Hayden M.L 23.Pak Javed Miandad 24.Saf Rhodes J.N 25.Eng Pietersen K.P 26.Ind Sehwag V 27.Ind Dhoni M.S 28.Ind Azharuddin M 29.Aus Waugh S.R 30.Saf Cronje W.J Read to find out his analysis.: http://blogs.cricinfo.com/itfigures/archives/2008/09/tendulkar_and_richards_swap_pl.php#more

Looks very arbitrary. Why is the number of runs given 20 and not at 25 (K) ? Why does SR have 25 points, not 20 or 30 ? And so on. You could do something with different factors and weightages and come up with a completely different table, and that would be no better or worse than this one. And of course, if SRT is at No.1 or 2, you can expect hundreds of replies.

Another of the famous Indian "contribution" to the world thanks to the recent IT success. Dissecting cricket with Intel processors. In the list compiled Viv Richards has an adjusted strike rate of 24.60(out of possible 25) while Kapil Dev has 24.21. This when the actual SR of Viv was 90 and Kapil's 95. So after adjusting strike rates Kapil Dev falls behind Viv. Yeah sure I will buy that.

Another of the famous Indian "contribution" to the world thanks to the recent IT success. Dissecting cricket with Intel processors. In the list compiled Viv Richards has an adjusted strike rate of 24.60(out of possible 25) while Kapil Dev has 24.21. This when the actual SR of Viv was 90 and Kapil's 95. So after adjusting strike rates Kapil Dev falls behind Viv. Yeah sure I will buy that.
That is very interesting. I suspect Richards get a bonus for starting three years before Kapil and also ending a few years early. It is not just the decade that matters. Greenidge started & ended his career at the same season as Richards and is scaled by +9.1% while Haynes who is almost an exact contemporary of Kapil has only 6.1.
Looks very arbitrary. Why is the number of runs given 20 and not at 25 (K) ? Why does SR have 25 points' date= not 20 or 30 ? And so on. You could do something with different factors and weightages and come up with a completely different table, and that would be no better or worse than this one. And of course, if SRT is at No.1 or 2, you can expect hundreds of replies.
I beleive this is done to play around and come up with a methodology that will make sure the expected batsmen end up at the top. Can you imagine a ODI batsmen list with Sachin at number 9, Richards at 7 etc??? That would be immediately dismissed. And so the statisticians often "create" these ratings with an eye on what the end results should be, and not could be. Dean Jones at 21?? Miandad at 23?? Martin Crowe not even in top 30??? Is this guys nuts or what? All the three gents would be strong cases of all time greatest LOI team. Also the reason why someone like Jayasurya(I beleive) comes in at number 3 is thanks to his 40 plus MOMs..never mind the fact that many of these were won on his bowling prowess.
In this very interesting analysis, Ananth Narayanan takes several things into consideration in ranking the top 30 batsmen in the history of the game. The analysis looks fair and intelligent as it considers everything there is to consider. Tendulkar tops the list as the greatest ODI batsman ever followed by the great Viv Richards at no2. Whats interesting is the name of Jatyasuriya at no3. I think Jaya deserves that spot. The very presence of Jaya at no3 shows how the parameters and the method of analysis are very efficient in finding out the good batsmen inspite of low averages and other weak statistics. To me, this is a fair ranking. 1.Ind Tendulkar S.R 2.Win Richards I.V.A 3.Slk Jayasuriya S.T 4.Aus Ponting R.T 5.Aus Gilchrist A.C 6.Win Lara B.C 7.Saf Kallis J.H 8.Pak Inzamam-ul-Haq 9.Aus Bevan M.G 10.Ind Ganguly S.C 11.Pak Saeed Anwar 12.Aus Waugh M.E 13.Aus Symonds A 14.Slk de Silva P.A 15.Win Haynes D.L 16.Saf Gibbs H.H 17.Ind Dravid R 18.Pak Mohammad Yousuf 19.Saf Kirsten G 20.Saf Klusener L 21.Aus Jones D.M 22.Aus Hayden M.L 23.Pak Javed Miandad 24.Saf Rhodes J.N 25.Eng Pietersen K.P 26.Ind Sehwag V 27.Ind Dhoni M.S 28.Ind Azharuddin M 29.Aus Waugh S.R 30.Saf Cronje W.J Read to find out his analysis.: http://blogs.cricinfo.com/itfigures/archives/2008/09/tendulkar_and_richards_swap_pl.php#more
now this list has AFRIDI at 31. YES, AFRIDI!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore, whatever methodology was used to derive this list, its completely flawed UNLESS you guys are willing to accept that AFRIDI indeed deserves the 31st place. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Not related. That's not bad ranking. The question arises now that will Misbah ever cross on the list for about three years?
my dear friend, don't be so hung up on misbah!!! this a garbage ranking......another waste of time...if you disagree, please prove to me then how Afridi can be higher than Yuvraj, Sangakara, Clarke.......and the list goes on........