B-G Trophy 2008 : Build-up

Kartikey

Amongst all test series in world cricket right now, the BG trophy has been the most competitive, well-fought one, producing high quality cricket and high-voltage drama, both at the same time. Rarely do we get such an amalgam. Since 2001, Apart from the Ashes 2005, I cant recollect any other test series that has created higher quality cricket than the BG trophy. Kolkata 2001,Chennai 2001, Adelaide 2004, Sydney 2007/08, Perth 2007/08 are a few test matches that will remain in the memory of every India-Aus cricket fan, just for the sheer quality of their matches.
Well said bro :hail::hail::hail: Let me add one more to the list... the Chennai match in 2004. Kumble 7 wkts on day 1 to bundle australia for 235 after being 111/0 at lunch. The brilliant 155 from Viru on day 1 and a fighting 26 off 165 balls by night watchman gillespie in the company of centurion Martyn on day 4 that helped australia to post a decent 2nd innings total. Had that match gone on to finish in the final day (if there was no rain), the outcome of the series would have been totally different than the 2-1 in favor of Australia. Chennai has produced some classic tests against Australia. 1986 tied test, 1997 Sachin Vs Warne test, 2001 series winning test and the oh so beautiful test in 2004... Looks like Aussies are slightly scared of playing a test in Chennai and that probably why there is no Test in Chennai this time... Never mind.. I'm in Blore now :yay:
Amongst all test series in world cricket right now, the BG trophy has been the most competitive, well-fought one, producing high quality cricket and high-voltage drama, both at the same time. Rarely do we get such an amalgam. Since 2001, Apart from the Ashes 2005, I cant recollect any other test series that has created higher quality cricket than the BG trophy. Kolkata 2001,Chennai 2001, Adelaide 2004, Sydney 2007/08, Perth 2007/08 are a few test matches that will remain in the memory of every India-Aus cricket fan, just for the sheer quality of their matches. If top-class cricket isnt enough, the kind of drama we've had in these series' has been unparalled, before and since. Our comeback victory in 2001, after following on, the final day finish in Chennai and of course, the Bucknor test in Sydney, allegations of racial villification, a team threatening to pull out of a tour mid-way, a looming diplomatic crisis... You name it, we've had it all in Ind-Aus test cricket since the turn of this century. So yes, in terms of producing consistent quality and giving lots of talking points off the field, Ind-Aus >>> Ashes. But, the British press being... well... the British press, you can bet on them to hype up the next Ashes as always, like its the single biggest sporting event in the calendar. And with KP getting a 'dream-start', all the hype and hoopla will only be more extravagent this time.
Well said bro :hail::hail::hail: Let me add one more to the list... the Chennai match in 2004. Kumble 7 wkts on day 1 to bundle australia for 235 after being 111/0 at lunch. The brilliant 155 from Viru on day 1 and a fighting 26 off 165 balls by night watchman gillespie in the company of centurion Martyn on day 4 that helped australia to post a decent 2nd innings total. Had that match gone on to finish in the final day (if there was no rain), the outcome of the series would have been totally different than the 2-1 in favor of Australia. Chennai has produced some classic tests against Australia. 1986 tied test, 1997 Sachin Vs Warne test, 2001 series winning test and the oh so beautiful test in 2004... Looks like Aussies are slightly scared of playing a test in Chennai and that probably why there is no Test in Chennai this time... Never mind.. I'm in Blore now :yay:
Right said. High quality cricket with spicy masala. What else may possibly be lacking? Indian players definitely raise their game to a much higher level against Australia. Take out Australia and what is Laxman left with? Probably nothing. Tendulkar has played his best cricket against the Aussies. Ganguly gets fired up against them as well.Kumble has taken them on. Bhajji's favorite bunny is the Asutralian captain. Ishant made the same guy look like a school boy last time. If only we could play the same quality cricket against other oppositions, we would never lose another match.

Harbhajan tips tough time for new spinners Harbhajan Singh is confident that Australia's two new spinners will pose little threat to India's batsmen in the upcoming Test series. More... Australia in India 2008-09 Harbhajan tips tough time for new spinners Cricinfo staff September 13, 2008 363331.jpgAnil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh have 907 Test wickets between them; Australia's Bryce McGain and Jason Krejza have none © AFP Harbhajan Singh is confident that Australia's two new spinners will pose little threat to India's batsmen in the upcoming Test series. Australia picked the uncapped Bryce McGain and Jason Krejza as their frontline slow bowlers for the India tour and Harbhajan said while he knew little about them, the two men were clearly a step down from Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill. "We were always aware when we played Australia at home that Shane Warne was the main threat, and now that he is not there, it is obviously good for us," Harbhajan told the Sydney Morning Herald. "Warne and Stuart MacGill have both been great spin bowlers. "There are no spinners in Australia of the quality of Warne and MacGill now, and I'm sure our batsmen, who are the best players of spin in the world, are going to have fun with this challenge. We are not worried about whoever comes. I'm sure our batsmen will be okay." The slow men could potentially be the weak link in an Australian attack that will be led by Brett Lee, Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson, although none of the bowlers have played a Test in India. Australia have a vastly different line-up to the group that won in India in 2004-05 and only four members of the current squad have Test experience in the country. "It is obviously a big advantage to us that players like Adam Gilchrist, Glenn McGrath, Warne and Jason Gillespie are not around this time," Harbhajan said. "All of those guys have done well here in the past. The last time they were here they beat us, but I genuinely think that if we play to the level we're capable of, we can defeat them. "We know that whoever Australia pick, they will be a good team, whether Shane Warne is playing or not. They are still the No. 1-ranked team in the world, and it is always a challenge to play them. But we think we have a very good chance, playing in our home conditions and with the crowds supporting us." India's spin attack will be in stark contrast to that of Australia, with Harbhajan needing only nine more wickets to reach 300 in Tests. India's leading spin pair of Harbhajan and Anil Kumble have 907 Test victims between them; McGain and Krejza's joint total is zero.

Senior players will not be under extra pressure: Sehwag India's dashing opener Virender Sehwag says that the four experienced players will be least affected as they have faced such situation before and know how to tackle it. More... Senior players will not be under extra pressure: Sehwag . Indo-Asian News Service New Delhi, September 12, 2008 First Published: 20:48 IST(12/9/2008) Last Updated: 21:00 IST(12/9/2008) India's dashing opener Virender Sehwag debunked speculative theories on the future of senior players in the Test team. Sourav Ganguly's omission from the Irani Trophy team has led to intense speculation that it is the beginning of the phase out of the senior batsmen from the Test side. Sehwag said that the four experienced players would be least affected as they have faced such situation before and know how to tackle it. "I do not think they will be under any extra pressure to perform. They are experienced and they have proved themselves in any situation. If at all they are under any pressure, it will be the pressure of their own expectations. Throughout their career, they have tackled pressure. It is nothing new for them," Sehwag said Friday on the sidelines of a promotional event of Neo Cricket. The four pillars of Indian batting had an average year by their own lofty standard. Rahul Dravid and Ganguly were replaced with youngsters in the one-day team with captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and selectors going for fresh legs. With brilliant showing in Australia and Sri Lanka, the new brigade have staked their claim for Test berth. The senior batsmen had a poor series in Sri Lanka where rookie Ajantha Mendis cracked open the world's best players of spin. Sehwag said they are way ahead of others and should not be judged on the basis of just one series. "If you are comparing me with them, then I can say that I am very small in front of these players. They will always remain above me." Sehwag also said he was sure that Yuvraj Singh will soon be back in reckoning. "Yuvraj too had a bad season. Any player can have one bad series. I had a whole bad year. He is a talented player and I am sure that he will soon find his form." Asked whether he feel bad that his name for Test captaincy is not doing the rounds, Sehwag said: "I do not get affected by these things. I continue to give my suggestions to the captain. I advised Anil Kumble on some occasions and it clicked. I will continue to do that."

The only two times teams have won series' in the India in the last 10 years have been the Saffies in 99 and the Aussies in 2004. I am tempted to discount the Saffies win in 99 because that team of ours was full of shameless match-fixers. But, keeping aside that fact, even if we were to take into account, on both the occasions, the opposing team spinners played atleast a partial role in their respective teams victories. Both Nicky Boje and Shane Warne had 5 wicket hauls in those series. If the spinners from this current Aussie squad cant replicate atleast that level of success, I really dont see how the Aussies are going to win this one. Besides, Lee+Johnson+Clarke isnt as potent as the McGrath+Gillespie combo, which scuttled us in 2004. Bringing two rookie spinners for an Indian test series could Australia's Achilles's heal this time.

India tour in doubt The upcoming Border-Gavaskar series could be in doubt after Cricket Australia announced they will conduct an immediate security assessment of India following a series bomb blasts in Delhi on Saturday night. More... India tour in doubt 14/09/2008 8:41 PM PA Sport The upcoming Border-Gavaskar series could be in doubt after Cricket Australia announced they will conduct an immediate security assessment of India following a series bomb blasts in Delhi on Saturday night. At least 20 people were killed and 90 injured as five bombs exploded within 45 minutes of each other in crowded areas of the Indian capital. Delhi is scheduled to host the third of the four-Test series on October 29. The 15-man Australian squad, which was announced on Friday, is scheduled to leave for India next Sunday and, with that in mind, CA have said they hoped to complete their review before the end of the week. "It is standard practice to do an inspection before a tour but with this particular tragic incident overnight, we will be doing a highly intensive security assessment," CA public affairs manager Peter Young said. "That will be so we can understand the exact circumstances and what risks, if any, we need to be aware of relative to the Australian team and support staff." Cricket Australia's security manager, Reg Dickason, will file the report in conjunction with CA and the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA). Dickason and operations manager Michael Brown are expected on Monday to discuss the potential risks of touring India with officials from Australia's foreign ministry, the country's High Commission in Delhi and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). Niranjan Shah, the secretary of the BCCI, admitted he was concerned by the bombings, but was positive about the prospect of the series going ahead, telling the Hindustan Times: "I don't think it will have any impact on the coming Australia series." And while Young admitted no Australia players had yet voiced their concerns about the tour, he added they were aware the review was standard procedure in such cases. "The players are fairly well informed on the approach we take so I would imagine they would be taking it as read that we would be going though this process," he said. Earlier this year Australia postponed their tour of Pakistan citing security concerns in the country. The Australian players also voiced their concerns ahead of the decision to re-schedule the Champions Trophy, which was due to be held in Pakistan at present. The International Cricket Council decided to postpone that tournament after the boards of New Zealand, England and South Africa also flagged their reservations about touring.

Australia still expected to tour ANOTHER deadly terrorist attack in a major Indian city is unlikely to prevent Australia from touring the increasingly troubled country. More... 0,5001,6251455,00.jpgUp, up and away ... Australia expected to fly to India. Phil Hillyard Australia still expected to tour By Malcolm Conn September 15, 2008 ANOTHER deadly terrorist attack in a major Indian city is unlikely to prevent Australia from touring the increasingly troubled country. The 15-man squad is expected to leave on Sunday as scheduled despite five bombs killing up to 30 and injuring more than 90 in New Delhi on Saturday night. The Australia A team is now in Hyderabad, where terrorist bombs killed almost 50 last year, and is due to play a one-day match there which, at this stage, is expected to go ahead. New Delhi is the fourth Indian city to be targeted by a series of Islamic terrorist bombings in five months, with as many as 150 deaths reported. Australia is scheduled to play in three of those cities, spending the first week in Jaipur preparing at Greg Chappell's Rajasthan Cricket Academy, before the first Test in Bangalore from October 9 and third Test in New Delhi from October 29. There will also be a four-day tour match in Hyderabad early next month leaving only the second Test venue, Mohali, and fourth Test location, Nagpur, unaffected by recent bombings. Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers Association have asked for urgent reports from their security advisers, which are expected to be presented on Monday or Tuesday. CA has engaged regular security consultant Reg Dickason and will consult the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Canberra, the Australian High Commission in New Delhi and the Board of Control for Cricket in India. Despite the upsurge in terrorism the situation is not considered anywhere near as bad as Pakistan. Four of cricket's major nations, including Australia, refused to play the Champions Trophy in Pakistan this month for safety and security reasons. There was criticism that players who were prepared to honour lucrative contracts with the Indian Premier League despite a major terrorist bombing in Jaipur last May which killed 60, would not tour Pakistan. Tim May, chief executive of the Federation of International Cricketers Associations (FICA) was annoyed by the criticism and said it was unfair to compare the Jaipur bombing to the situation in Pakistan. "Pakistan has had 66 suicide bombings within its country over the past 12 months with over 3000 people killed and 17 of those attacks had been in the venues of the Champions Trophy," May said. "There was no security assessment that there was the likelihood of any further bombs going off in Jaipur." The DFAT travel advice for both countries is clearly different. For India the DFAT advice is to exercise a high degree of caution but with Pakistan it says reconsider travelling to the country because of specific terrorist threats against western targets. Australia's embassies in Lahore and Karachi have been closed until further notice for safety and security reasons. ACA chief executive Paul Marsh was attempting to contact independent security advisers and the Australian Government for updated advice. "The threat assessment for India has been considerably lower than that of Pakistan," Marsh said. "We want to find out if the latest bombings will change that in any way and what our independent experts think about our Australia A players being over there at the moment. "As always we'll rely on the advice of the experts. Our primary concern at the moment is the A team being over there and trying to get an idea whether it's an acceptable risk for them to stay." The BCCI believes the tour will continue. "We are definitely concerned with the explosions in Delhi. These are testing times," BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah told the Hindustan Times. "But I don't think it will have any impact on the coming Australia series."

"The threat assessment for India has been considerably lower than that of Pakistan," Marsh said. "Pakistan has had 66 suicide bombings within its country over the past 12 months with over 3000 people killed and 17 of those attacks had been in the venues of the Champions Trophy," May said. "There was no security assessment that there was the likelihood of any further bombs going off in Jaipur."
Pakistani's like to compare the two situations, but deep down I think they know that these are completely different, especially from an Australian point of view. (I'm talking about foriegn policy, not cricket point of view.) Good to see positive signs that the tour will go on, but at the same time, I really dont want these attacks to be brushed under the carpet. The home ministry needs to wake up.

Cricket: Symonds says he wants to play for Australia again Outcast cricketer Andrew Symonds has declared he wants to resume his career and return to playing for Australia More... Symonds wants to play for Australia again symonds_wideweb__470x362,0.jpgAndrew Symonds in the days before he was suspended. September 16, 2008 - 2:13PM Outcast cricketer Andrew Symonds has declared he wants to resume his career and return to playing for Australia. But how soon that will be will depend on the allrounder's progress after he returned to the Queensland Bulls' training in Brisbane today following his "gone fishing" saga in Darwin earlier this month which halted his career. Symonds hasn't spoken since being kicked out of the Australian camp which recently played a one-day series against Bangladesh in Darwin. "I'm going through the process of trying to improve and become not only a better cricketer but a better person," Symonds said today. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of taking up cricket again for my club, state and country, hopefully." Symonds also apologised to his family, his teammates and cricket fans for his behaviour in recent months which has led to criticism from teammates including Michael Clarke and former champion spinner Shane Warne who accused him of being disrespectful to his teammates. Symonds, 33, said he could not say just when he would play again but said he had learned from his mistakes and hoped they would make him a better person in the future.