Greatest Australian Test side (post 1980)

bharat297

In the theme of greatest sides (as in the other 2 threads) I thought I would continue with a thread regarding the greatest ever Australian test side. I had to restrict it to post 1980's otherwise it becomes too difficult to choose players. For example, how do you compare a Keith Miller to an Andrew Symonds. 2 different eras ... too difficult. But anyway here is my team for the greatest Australian XI. ALL-TIME GREATEST AUSTRALIAN XI Hayden Taylor ( c ) Ponting S. Waugh G. Chappell Border Gilchrist Warne Lillee McGrath Thompson I went with Mark Taylor as captain because in my opinion he was the greatest tactician Australia have had since 1980. He read pitches well and used his bowlers superbly. As an opener he faced some of the greatest bowlers of our generation and still averaged 43 which is pretty good. He edged out Justin Langer, and David Boon in a very close selection. I think I may have already created a thread for the greatest Indian XI (post 1980). I created it a while back. Anyway ... what do you guys think is the greatest ever Aussie XI?

LOL @ Chapplle at 5., Border at 6. and Taylor as captain :haha::haha::haha: 1. M. Taylor 2. D. Boon 3. G. Chapplle 4. A. BorderĀ© 5. D. Jones 6. S. Waugh 7. A. Gilchrist 8. S. Warne 9. D. Lillie 10. J. Gillespie 11. G. McGrath Taylor and Boon are a standard for openers. Hayden and Langer would be my next pick. Went for a LH & RH combination here. Chapplle was a destroyer in an era when the WI were at the top of the tree. He JUST edges out Ponting. Border is the best number 4 Aus has ever produced....his captaincy was ruthless, he bought Australian cricket back. Dean Jones at 5, dropped in the peak of his form because he had a falling out with Bobby Simpson...amazing batter and one of the best fielders you will ever see. Prefer to have him higher up, but not with Border and Chapplle in the side. S. Waugh would be my all rounder. Gilly a standard, because of his batting. Warne a standard. My pace attack would be Lillie, McGrath and Gillespie. Gillespie over Thompson as he has more variety. Thompson had pace, but was often wayward, similar to Shaun Tait.

Whats wrong with Taylor as captain? Its not that laughable ... he was one of the best tacticians of our era. Remember he was the one that took Australia to no.1 and he was the first Australian captain to lead Australia to a series win in the Windies in 2 decades (at that time that was a big deal). Im not the only one who feels that way Read this ... http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/227884.html As for having Chappell at 5 and Border at 6 ... I didnt pay much attention to the batting order itself.

Boring ? More like inappropriate. After all, this IS an Indian fansite. I'm an invited guest. :regular_smile:
I thought it was appropriate given that we're playing Australia right now. Yea we're Indians but we can still respect and pay tribute to some of our best opposition in the past. It was similar to what Tony Grieg did last year before the England vs India series where he named his greatest ever England side and then greatest ever Indian side.
First off, Chappell doesnt figure - didnt he retire in 82 or 83 ? His best years were in the 70s. This would be my team : M.Taylor J.Langer R.Ponting D.Martyn S.Waugh A.Border A.Gillchrist S.Warne J.Gillespie C.McDermott G.McGrath
Damian Martyn - LOL Are you kidding me bro? You would rate him the best Aussie no. 4 since 1980? I would have Mark Waugh before Martyn anyday. And Border at 6 is a waste. Hayden would get a look in before Langer. I cant understand that selection. Craig McDermott over Lee - another LOL.
Damian Martyn - LOL Are you kidding me bro? You would rate him the best Aussie no. 4 since 1980? I would have Mark Waugh before Martyn anyday. And Border at 6 is a waste. Hayden would get a look in before Langer. I cant understand that selection. Craig McDermott over Lee - another LOL.
It was a tough call and i know many will pick Junior, but IMO junior was more stylish but didnt have his head put together well enough to be consistent. Martyn is a fantastic batsman, particularly against pace. Deano would be the other option, but IMO Martyn offers the best. Border at six is better than Steve Waugh at six IMO McDermott over Lee in test cricket any day of the week - he actually troubled very good batting lineups during his time - Lee is a lesser bowler. Hayden is the biggest 'cheap runs/mediocre-bowling-basher' there is but both slats and Langer are better against quality pace bowling.

Let me just add fuel to the Martyn/Junior debate by suggesting that Dean Jones was as good or better. I'd pick him over those two. Honourable mention to the Great Boonie as well. The Lee/McDermott argument is a no-contest. Billy the Kid wins by a knockout. Lee had a period of several years where he was effectively a passenger/leech in the team, feeding off McGrath, Warne and Gillespie and being gifted a bunch of easy wickets by Waugh/Ponting who'd protect him when the batsmen were in a groove but suddenly bring him on when the tail came in. There were too many series where his average and economy rates were both unimpressive, and it's only since 2005 that he's really turned into a high quality test paceman.McDermott was far more consistent, reliable and dangerous for a good part of his career. Meanwhile, bravo to Pred for remembering the fat bus conductor.

Slats Haydos AB Junior Punter Steven......WAAAAAAAAUGH !!! HUUUUUH, YEEEA, WHAT ISSSSSS HE GOOD FOR, ABSOLUTELLLLLY NUTHIN' Saint Gilly Warney the womaniser Fat Bus Conductor AKA Fruitfly Dizzy Mullet oooooh aaaah Glenn McGraaaah 12th man; Shane Watson
Meanwhile, bravo to Pred for remembering the fat bus conductor.
Who do those funny nick names represent?