Ban will help Gambhir: Afridi

SachDan

KARACHI: Experienced Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi feels that the one-match ban imposed on Gautam Gambhir will make the Indian opener a more sensible and cool headed cricketer. Gambhir, who has been in terrific form against Australia, has been banned for the last Test in Nagpur after match referee Chris Broad and ICC adjudicator Justice Albie Sachs found him guilty of barging into all-rounder Shane Watson during the Third Test in New Delhi. Sachs rejected an appeal filed by the Indian Cricket Board against the match referee's decision and upheld the ban on Gambhir. Afridi, who has also been elbowed by Gambhir during a One-Day International match against Pakistan at Kapur in November last year, recalled the incident and said the left-hander made a mistake by repeating the same thing against Watson. "He did a similar thing with me while taking a run while I was bowling and we had exchanged a few words with each other. "After running into me he turned around and made some comments and I also replied back. But the match referee let us off with fines and afterwards we sorted things out and everything cooled down," the all-rounder said. "He is a bit of a hot headed cricketer and likes to trade words. But I think this ban will cool his temperament down and make him a more sensible cricketer who can avoid such unnecessary things," Afridi added. He was of the view that it was natural for cricketers to exchange words and even sledge each other when there is fierce competition, but pointed out that sensible players never let the situation get out of their hands. "I have also made a few mistakes in the past and learnt from them. I think Gambhir will also learn," he said. Citing Sachin Tendulkar and retired India Test captain Anil Kumble as examples, Afridi said young cricketers all over the world should take a lesson from them on their conduct both on and off the field. "They are two of the most successful performers for India but they hardly lost their cool and their behaviour was always normal with their opponents." "I am a great admirer of Kumble because of his stature as a bowler and the way he played his cricket. I have on doubt India is going to miss him a lot," he added.

I dont understand how Gambhir got in trouble in the Afridi incident. Wasnt it Afridi's fault? If you look back on it ... it seems like Afridi moved into Gambhir.
Gambhir shoulder charged Afridi while he deliberately impeded his running. Both of them got fined but Gambhir really should have learned his lesson then.
and shock treatment should help afridi get his senses back .. sala pagal aadmi hai
Good point...come to think of it...it's like the pot calling the kettle black eh? Afridi lecturing Gambhir on controlling aggression....:cantstop: Thanks for pointing it out to me desi_no_longer_down_under :D
Gambhir shoulder charged Afridi while he deliberately impeded his running. Both of them got fined but Gambhir really should have learned his lesson then.
Actually I just saw it again at live speed. My opinion has completely changed. Why did Afridi get penalised? Isnt it well within his rights to stand there?
Actually I just saw it again at live speed. My opinion has completely changed. Why did Afridi get penalised? Isnt it well within his rights to stand there?
Well, there was a lot of foul language after that from Afridi that didn't help matters, also he didn't exactly try to avoid the collision, you could see him looking at Gambhir and pushing his shoulder forward in anticapation.
Who cares what a retard says.
Well, while I'm in complete agreement that he plays like a fool, I give a lot of credit to Afridi for being a guy who is honest about speaking his mind. For example, with the whole Akhtar/Asif wrestling match in the dressing room, Afridi answered when the media asked him by relaying the entire event accurately and before the PCB stopped him from saying anything else. On other matters as well, (Inzi's captaincy/retirement) he was honest about what he felt rather than just making the politically correct statement.

I dont think he is straight or honest. I think he is manipulative. I think he was the reason why the fight between Akhtar and Asif (both are dumb) happened in the first place. His statements have many times caused problems for the team. I think he has an eye on captaincy and he plays many games to keep other contenders away to it. I think he bats like a retard, is selfish, manipulative while not batting and abusive all the time.

For all the show of aggression and what not, at the end of the day, its India that lost the series' top scorer. It doesnt matter who looks good on T.V, shoving and glaring, it matters who stands to lose and who doesnt. And its us who lost in the end. Gambhir may have just been his aggressive best on the field, but he should also understand that he cant let his personal qualities hinder team's interests.

For all the show of aggression and what not, at the end of the day, its India that lost the series' top scorer. It doesnt matter who looks good on T.V, shoving and glaring, it matters who stands to lose and who doesnt. And its us who lost in the end. Gambhir may have just been his aggressive best on the field, but he should also understand that he cant let his personal qualities hinder team's interests.
Wll said MM. That's the bottom line. We need controlled aggression. Anything that puts us in a problem must be avoided. The kids need to learn few things about level headed aggression from Tendulkar.