Performances in ODIs

bunny

There has been a recent hype of youngsters, especially in ODIs. For people wondering which youth is actually doing good I compiled a list of performances of each player in ODIs since 2008. Of course, the ratings are a bit subjective, but here's the list. (Each line contains the players name, followed by the total number of performances, number of good, v good and bad performances. For me, the most outstanding was Zaheer. The most consistent have been Dhoni and Munaf Patel with mainly good performances, and the most inconsistent have been Rohit Sharma and Irfan Pathan). Points = Good + 2* V Good - Bad + (0 * Mediocre) No code has to be inserted here.

ok im gonna nitpick now.. 1. so which performances have u taken? lookin at your points, I see you have taken 15 performances from Dhoni.. what are those? why have u left the others? im sure Dhoni has played more than 15ODIs this year.. In that case, your points might have been biased, as u have ignored the rest of the matches.. 2. I dont think, Badri, Yusuf, sreesanth have played 10ODIs this year.. 3. Raina's points are bit low.. i Think he is a much improved player and he made some very god scores in pakistan n India barring the CB series where he dint play.

ok im gonna nitpick now.. 1. so which performances have u taken? lookin at your points, I see you have taken 15 performances from Dhoni.. what are those? why have u left the others? im sure Dhoni has played more than 15ODIs this year.. In that case, your points might have been biased, as u have ignored the rest of the matches.. 2. I dont think, Badri, Yusuf, sreesanth have played 10ODIs this year.. 3. Raina's points are bit low.. i Think he is a much improved player and he made some very god scores in pakistan n India barring the CB series where he dint play.
I have ignored all performances which were mediocre (taken only good, bad and very good performances). That's why I wrote I didn't compile the total number of performances. All the remaining performances for each player were average or he didn't play that match or he didn't get to perform. (Should have compiled that list but forgot to do that). Raina's points are low because he has failed a lot of times.

It's a good topic but let me add that there are some things than can't be quantified in ratings. For example giving an inexperienced new bowler in P Kumar the new ball and he came up trumps in the CB series. Asking some nobody like Joginder Sharma to bowl that last over in a crunch 20/20 match, or the way Dhoni galvanized the team in Sri Lanka against the threat of Mendis by moving himself up the order again and again. In other words, there is a spirit, a confident aggression about this team that you can call a swagger that is more than just stats, it's about how you approach every crucial situation whether you're 29 for 3 or 250 for 4 with ten remaining overs. We saw what pressure can do to a talented bunch of cricketers in the last World Cup and we've seen how these young players have handled similar pressure in the 20/20 WC, CB Series then the series in Sri Lanka. For that, this team gets 10 out of 10!!

It's a good topic but let me add that there are some things than can't be quantified in ratings. For example giving an inexperienced new bowler in P Kumar the new ball and he came up trumps in the CB series. Asking some nobody like Joginder Sharma to bowl that last over in a crunch 20/20 match, or the way Dhoni galvanized the team in Sri Lanka against the threat of Mendis by moving himself up the order again and again. In other words, there is a spirit, a confident aggression about this team that you can call a swagger that is more than just stats, it's about how you approach every crucial situation whether you're 29 for 3 or 250 for 4 with ten remaining overs. We saw what pressure can do to a talented bunch of cricketers in the last World Cup and we've seen how these young players have handled similar pressure in the 20/20 WC, CB Series then the series in Sri Lanka. For that, this team gets 10 out of 10!!
That's all well and good but it's really the bowlers who have been performing consistently. And for that you don't need too much spirit, just line and length, pace and good deliveries. (I mean not the kind of swagger, and spirit and things you are talking about). Is Munaf the most spirited player? How come he is one of the most consistent? Isn't Sreesanth all about spirit and agression? Where is he now? What about the performances of Raina, Rohit, Yusuf Pathan?
That's all well and good but it's really the bowlers who have been performing consistently. And for that you don't need too much spirit' date=' just line and length, pace and good deliveries. (I mean not the kind of swagger, and spirit and things you are talking about). Is Munaf the most spirited player? How come he is one of the most consistent? Isn't Sreesanth all about spirit and agression? Where is he now? What about the performances of Raina, Rohit, Yusuf Pathan?[/quote'] In regards to Munaf, I think being dropped from both the test and ODI side really made him question what he was doing. It does take a lot of resolve and yes spirit to come back from that. Mentally, I think he's a lot tougher, I just hope he lasts this time.

Updated again. Take away points (some of them might be obvious anyway): 1) ODI team can't do without Dhoni, Sehwag, Praveen, Zak and to an extent Yuvraj and Munaf. 2) Harbhajan will be facing stiff competition from Ojha. 3) Ishan't performance hasn't been that great in ODIs, especially on these subcontinent pitches. He also seems to struggle against LHB. 4) Gambhir's ODI performances have taken a downturn. He needs to play more controlled innings, like he does in tests. 5) India has managed to survive without SRT contributing, but that can't go on for too long, especially on away tours. 6) Rohit Sharma deserves to be dropped. The Pathan bros too. 7) Raina needs to come up with some brilliant performances to cement his place.

Updated again. 1) Ishant/Yusuf Pathan should be dropped. 2) Raina has shown an upward curve since he has batted at 5/6. 3) Sehwag has been brilliant. Dhoni almost matching him in consistency. Most of the other batters have been inconsistent. 4) The permanent team should be Sehwag, Tendulkar, GG, Yuvraj, Dhoni, Raina, Dravid, P Kumar, Harbhajan/Ojha/Mishra, Zak, Nehra Reserves: Munaf, Sreesanth, I Pathan/Nayar, Harbhajan/Ojha/Mishra, Virat Kohli