Random cricketing thoughts/questions

vroomfondel

I am curious to know what was the background of the Gavaskar walk-off incident. He must have been really pissed to have done what he did, coz generally, Gavaskar is quite respectful of the rules and the authority of the game.
Gavaskar has been having a real terrible series in Australia in 81. This was the first time Sunil Gavaskar was playing against Dennis Lillee, the latter being absent in the previous series that Gavaskar played Down under. In essence this was the first time world's premium fast bowler was bowling to worlds premium opener who kept on coming second best. In the last innings of the series Gavaskar had a good start(70 something) when he "nicked"(his version) a Lillee delivery onto his pads. The umpire gave him out and Sunny threw the toys out of the prom. Contrary to what some are suggesting here, there is nothing else in the video(before or after). Sure Aussies were sledging, as they always did, but I find it hard to understand why would anyone do what Sunny did. Of course the worse aspect of this whole fracas is that India won this game thanks to a battling Kapil Dev who took painkiller injections and took 5 wickets. This was the first time India won in Australia against a full strength side(in 78 India beat Aussies who were depleted thanks to Packer), and yet people remember this game as Lillee-Gavaskar game. xxx
Gavaskar has been having a real terrible series in Australia in 81. This was the first time Sunil Gavaskar was playing against Dennis Lillee, the latter being absent in the previous series that Gavaskar played Down under. In essence this was the first time world's premium fast bowler was bowling to worlds premium opener who kept on coming second best. In the last innings of the series Gavaskar had a good start(70 something) when he "nicked"(his version) a Lillee delivery onto his pads. The umpire gave him out and Sunny threw the toys out of the prom. Contrary to what some are suggesting here, there is nothing else in the video(before or after). Sure Aussies were sledging, as they always did, but I find it hard to understand why would anyone do what Sunny did. Of course the worse aspect of this whole fracas is that India won this game thanks to a battling Kapil Dev who took painkiller injections and took 5 wickets. This was the first time India won in Australia against a full strength side(in 78 India beat Aussies who were depleted thanks to Packer), and yet people remember this game as Lillee-Gavaskar game. xxx
nice, i has learned something today :two_thumbs_up:
Gavaskar claims that the umpiring in the series was pathetic (maybe not just against him but on the whole) which prompted him to do the thing. There have been incidents where players have refused to walk or have become extremely annoyed with the umpire but I guess this was the first and only incident where the player took his fellow batsman along, and that created the hype.
Gavaskar claims that the umpiring in the series was pathetic (maybe not just against him but on the whole) which prompted him to do the thing. There have been incidents where players have refused to walk or have become extremely annoyed with the umpire but I guess this was the first and only incident where the player took his fellow batsman along' date=' and that created the hype.[/quote'] That would have made sense if Australia had won the 3 test series 3-0. Turns out it was an eventual 1-1 draw. Also in this same series Sandeep Patil was felled by Lenny Pascoe and went on to score 170 odds or so, easily one of best innings played by an India. Gundappa Vishwanath scored another century on the tour if I am not mistaken, so I am really not sure if I would have any credibility on what Sunil Gavaskar thought of the umpiring. The man could have let his bat talk instead of walking off the field. xx
Contrary to what some are suggesting here, there is nothing else in the video(before or after). Sure Aussies were sledging, as they always did, but I find it hard to understand why would anyone do what Sunny did.
Gavaskar himself says so in his autob that while walking back he heard Lillee say something that caused him to lose his temper. Gavaskar then goes on to blame Kirmani, who had told SMG the previous day that he (Kirmani) would walk out if the umpires gave one more bad decision, that his comment might have been in the back of his (SMG's) mind when he was given out.
That would have made sense if Australia had won the 3 test series 3-0. Turns out it was an eventual 1-1 draw. Also in this same series Sandeep Patil was felled by Lenny Pascoe and went on to score 170 odds or so, easily one of best innings played by an India. Gundappa Vishwanath scored another century on the tour if I am not mistaken, so I am really not sure if I would have any credibility on what Sunil Gavaskar thought of the umpiring. The man could have let his bat talk instead of walking off the field. xx
It might be the case that the umpiring was decent, but I think Sunny definitely had a problem with it. When the Indians toured Australia in 91-92, he wrote in his column that the Australians are playing with 13 players and he was still angry with the Australian umpiring. How good or bad the umpiring was can only be known if there exist any articles on the match.
Gavaskar himself says so in his autob that while walking back he heard Lillee say something that caused him to lose his temper. Gavaskar then goes on to blame Kirmani' date=' who had told SMG the previous day that he (Kirmani) would walk out if the umpires gave one more bad decision, that his comment might have been in the back of his (SMG's) mind when he was given out.[/quote'] Tapioca. This is what Karsan Ghavri says about the incident
About the Gavaskar’s walk out, he just walked out because he was very frustrated in that entire series. In the first test, he got out early and the same was in the second test. He had one aim and that was to score a big hundred in this 3-Tests Series, which wasn’t happening. And when he was reaching 70-75 runs and when he was given out lbw to Dennis Lillee, he was quite angry and frustrated because he thought at that time that the ball hit the bat first before hitting the pad. But according to the slow motion replay and all such things over the years, it says quite clearly that he was out and that it hit the pad first and then the bat. The same incident even Sunil has agreed many times now and that it was more of frustration, he walked out, he said that it was a mistake on his part. But he deeply felt really bad about it because these kinds of funny things should not take place on a cricket field and especially at the International level.
http://www.cricketfundas.com/karsanghavriinterview.html You will find similar sentiments by cricket historians Guha, Ramchand etc.
It might be the case that the umpiring was decent' date=' but I think Sunny definitely had a problem with it. When the Indians toured Australia in 91-92, he wrote in his column that the Australians are playing with 13 players and he was still angry with the Australian umpiring. How good or bad the umpiring was can only be known if there exist any articles on the match.[/quote'] I remember the 1985-86 series, when india toured Australia for 3 tests. Kapil was captain. v had Sunil Gavaskar, Srikkanth,Amarnath, Azhar in team. in the 2nd test at MCG, After aussies were bowled out for 260 odd in the 1st innings,Srikkath was given out LBW to Bruce reid when was batting on almost run a ball 86 in a test. india scored 445. 2nd innings,when india were on the verge of bowling out Australia, and chase a small target, at 231-9,where Border and last man were batting, there were at least 3 very plumb LBW appeals which were declined by the home umpires. Kapil really lost his cool and had arguments with the umpires. the last wicket partnership almost took 2 hours amd took the score to 308. india chased a larger target of 126 instead of 50 odd and were 59 for 2, when the rain washed up all hopes . http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63419.html from the wisden report: "...Australia, 183 behind, went in again with almost two days left, and that they were not beaten on the fourth day was due to Border's skill in playing spin and his fortitude. Having batted for 228 minutes, he was unbeaten at the close with 98 in a total of 228 for eight. In the last over before the close, Reid, seemingly caught at slip, off Yadav, was adjudged not out, and although he did not remain for long next morning, the decision gave Kapil Dev added ammunition with which to attack the umpiring. Gilbert dug in again, staying for 115 minutes while Border, whom the Indians were reluctant to attack, added 64. " That is when kapil dev went to press with "australians have 13 players in their team".
Missed this all this while. Thanks for posting.