Random cricketing thoughts/questions

vroomfondel

I rarely have enough material to sustain a thread. But there are always little bits of information or out-of-the-blue questions that can be of interest to others. I'm sure the case for the less prolific members of this forum. So how about a little thread to collect all these one hit wonders? I'll start with this thought: We b*tch and moan about how bad cricket etiquette has gotten on the field, with invocation of monkeys and mothers, wives and biscuits etc. But come one...compared to these guys from the 70's and 80's, our cricketers are saints...here is a video of the 2nd tied test (please please watch 3:20-3:30, if nothing else): zbEEaEyo7qk&feature=related We all know about Gavaskar's shenanigans: jrp53wKHgb0 Pick any dennis lillee match, but I'll do javed v/ lillee BlqYiXhlMKw could easily get handed a multiple match ban for any of these things in today's game. tbf, lillee was banned...but still. omfg.

If during a game, there is a direct hit to the stump, where both bails fall off, but the batsman is in the crease. If the batsmen decide to run overthrows, and a fielder tries to hit the same stump directly, the batsman cannot be out unless the stump has been uprooted by the force of the throw. Is that a correct interpretation? or would it be that the second direct hit doesnt count.. there has to be a fielder who has to uproot the stump with his hand?

If during a game, there is a direct hit to the stump, where both bails fall off, but the batsman is in the crease. If the batsmen decide to run overthrows, and a fielder tries to hit the same stump directly, the batsman cannot be out unless the stump has been uprooted by the force of the throw. Is that a correct interpretation? or would it be that the second direct hit doesnt count.. there has to be a fielder who has to uproot the stump with his hand?
with the ball in contact with the stump (i think)

Cricketers are the same no matter what generation. The same approach, losing cool and having a go at the opponents or the umpires have been there all the time. Just that the media coverage wasn't that spectacular to create an uproar that's about it. Now with ICC having put in place the rules for conduct and handing punishments as required has put a lid on such behaviour. There have always been aggressive characters in the game and there will continue to be in future as well. Dennis Lillee kicking Miandad is not too different from Bhajji slapping Sreesanth. Just that these days players know how to avoid the camera. I'm glad we don't witness contact in a non contact sport like cricket anymore.

Gavaskar was out, caught on the crease, ball not rising much at all, and hit on the pads, i have seen batsmen given out under more dubious circumstances Lillee was an ass no doubt as far as etiquette was concerned, i think in modern cricket players are a lot more reserved. Harba is an ass imo, i still cant believe he slapped Sreesanth, and his finger and f&*^ off to Pieterson after being bowled was a defining moment for me when i thought "this guy is an A grade ass".

:hahaha: Gavaskar decides to concede the match becos he is out Any other ind cricketer more selfish than the 36 n.o. man of Indian cricket? :haha: One of the best opening batsman in terms of technique and what he has achieved battingwise, but his tantrums and selfishness are legendary

Cricketers are the same no matter what generation. The same approach' date=' losing cool and having a go at the opponents or the umpires have been there all the time. Just that the media coverage wasn't that spectacular to create an uproar[/quote'] What an absolute crock ! Been there all the time ?? How do you determine this, Ravi ?
LOL@the tied test video :hysterical: Thanks for posting vroom.
I remember it well. I was just entering the teens and it was good learning experience :giggle: Vroom, the only (lame) excuse that I can come up with this is that we are looking at a long span of years. In the 80s, apart from the tied test and SMG walkout, we might have three or four other controversies and scandals. While these are not new, what seems to have changed now is that these sort of incidents seem to be happening in every series, in fact, several times in some of the high profile series.

All said and done, Cricketers have traditionally been one of the best behaved sportsmen of the world. The minor scuffles and arguments that happen on the cricket field are absolutely nothing compared to bloody confrontations that happen in sports like Ice-Hockey, Basketball, Boxing, Soccer etc. Agree that those are mostly non-contact sports, with equal number of players from both the teams present in the playing field at all times, increasing the chances of a something getting sparked, but even otherwise, cricketers have been good role models on the field.

:hahaha: Gavaskar decides to concede the match becos he is out Any other ind cricketer more selfish than the 36 n.o. man of Indian cricket? :haha: One of the best opening batsman in terms of technique and what he has achieved battingwise, but his tantrums and selfishness are legendary
selfish: concerned chiefly or only with yourself and your advantage to the exclusion of others; Gavaskar is selfish because you didn't watch the video properly? No.... At least he had the technique to stay at 36 from 60 overs. Who else has that today? He didn't concede the match, btw. As someone else pointed out, WATCH the video before you go on with your random ns.

I am curious to know what was the background of the Gavaskar walk-off incident. He must have been really pissed to have done what he did, coz generally, Gavaskar is quite respectful of the rules and the authority of the game. Even while commentating, you can see the obvious respect he gives to umpires and how he holds them on a pedestal. Was Dennis Lillee's hysterical reaction that sparked Gavaskar's act? Nevertheless, looking back, even Gavaskar will admit that, that was one of the most stupidest things he had ever done on a cricket field.