India's Test batting -- who's next?

neeran

I completely disagree with the OP. Dravid has been in torturous form the past year and the team thrived without him contributing. Maybe Ganguly will be missed but let's not forget how weak he was at times against the short ball so Yuvraj batting at number 5 isn't exactly mission impossible. India will have Sehwag and Gambhir to take on the new ball and that is paramount, for the next 5 years or so. The real test for this team will be when SRT retires as his class on all kinds of conditions, against top bowling is something that only Gavasker could have paralleled. As long as we have players like Jaffer, Rohit etc in reserve to play positions 3/4 then we'll be fine. I know they are two completely different formats but our ODI team is as potent as ever, capable of scoring well over 300 in a good batting track without guys like Dravid/Ganguly/SRT (when he was injured)/Laxman so that's a pretty good indication that the bench strength is there, but like all things, just needs some time and experience. And finally, the world wide standards of bowling are going down a lot so I expect batting to get easier. 5-15 years ago we had the likes of Imran/Wasim/Waqar, Warne/McGrath/Gillespie, Vaas/Murali, Bond, Pollock/Donald/Kallis, Walsh/Ambrose. Genuine test bowlers who were on equal footing with the greatest batsmen of any era. There is no comparison now though. Bowling around the world has severely declined and really sucks compared the previous generation. Nowadays batsmen just have to know where their off stump is and pretty soon bowlers get frustrated and start bowling the short stuff or half volleys for easy runs. Even Dale Steyn, widely considered the best test bowler of this current era has no patience, and doesn't compare with some one like Donald, Walsh etc.

I think this could be a viable lineup: G.Gambhir V.Sehwag M Vijay Rohit Sharma/A Nayar/ Badrinath Pujara/Dhawan Yuvraj Singh MS.Dhoni H.Singh Z.Khan A.Mishra I.Sharma I. Pathan Atul Sharma ================================================================= Also, legendary bowlers for this era: Mendis