ICC does U-turn on 2006 Oval Test result

Hair: ICC wanted to destroy me By Robert Craddock February 03, 2009 12:00am DARRELL Hair has accused senior world cricket officials of trying to destroy his life in the wake of the great ball tampering scandal. The saga of the aborted Test between England and Pakistan at The Oval in 2006 took another twist over the weekend when the International Cricket Council, at a meeting in Perth, awarded the Test to England, changing its bizarre ruling last July that the game was a draw. The verdict was seen as vindication of the decision by umpires Hair and Billy Doctrove to declare England victors by forfeit when Pakistan refused to play after tea on the fourth day when their bowlers were accused of ball tampering. Hair, now retired from international umpiring but working as an umpires manager with Cricket NSW, was briefly banned from umpiring international matches by the ICC before returning last year. "They tried to destroy my life," Hair told The Daily Telegraph. "After the ICC made the decision (to ban him) several ICC officials set out to make a real meal of it and make life very tough for me. "People like myself pay for standing up for what is right. People who were sitting on the ICC board when they initially changed the decision (to call the match a draw) should stand down or be sacked. "There was a lot of support for me from around the world but unfortunately none of the people who worked at the ICC were among them. I am dirty on the fact that none of the people who worked there backed me up." Hair believes then Cricket Australia chairman Creagh O'Connor could have supported him more. "He sat there (in the ICC board meeting) and admitted there was not much he could do. That to me makes him weak. To me, you stand up for your principles even if you are going to get beaten at the ballot box." Hair believes the ICC's credibility will forever be tarnished so long as it allows Zimbabwean cricket to be run by chairman Peter Chingoka, banned from entering the country last month due to his links with rogue Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe. http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25000624-5006069,00.html ******************************************************************************** No shortage of controversy these days