Hair back to spoil the party

Murali throws, I have no doubt about it, says Darrell Hair Date: 4 Feb, 2009(Wednesday) Bipin Dani Among several congratulatory messages Sri Lankan off-spinner Muttiah Muralitharan have been receiving for equalling highest victims in ODIs', and one more expected from Pakistani pacer Wasim Akram, probably during the remaining two ODIs' against India in the coming week, the former Australian umpire Darrell Hair has no such intention to send across. "No definitely not. I have no message to convey him", he said over from Sydney. This probably was the one of the darkest chapter in International cricket when Darrell Hair called no-balled Muttiah Muralitharan for his suspect bowling action as many as 7 times in the span of 3 overs (December 1995, Melbourne). Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga took his team off the ground and returned only when he decided to bowl Murali from other other end. The 55-year-old former ICC umpire still doubts his action. "He throws. I don't have any doubts about it", he said on day after Murali became the joint world record holder. Hair is now not following Murali's cricketing career. "No! I have other things to look out for", he further added. Hair came up with his autobiography book (Decision Maker : an umpire's story) where he termed Muttiah Muralitharan's bowling action as "diabolical". "Muralitharan, who has been tested more than any other bowler in the history of the game — 1995, 1999, and 2004, possesses different physical characteristics which make him a unique bowler", Darrell Foster has recorded in his biomechanics laboratory report. Muralitharan's shoulder external rotation range is higher than normal, which allows him a greater range of motion during delivery. The bowler has been "cleared" under ICC's flexibility rules. Bipin Dani is a freelance contributor in Cricdb - bipin.dani@cricdb.com http://www.cricdb.com/archive/international/news/detail.php?nid=1339