The Indian Elections Thread

The Outsider

The Indian Elections Thread  

1. 1.

• BJP/NDA
    • Congress/UPA
    • Third Front
    • Undecided

No matter the result - we should be damn proud. The process is not perfect, the result may not be accepted by everyone - but be proud, very very proud. When the rest of that neighborhood is in a quagmire, our diverse motherland of 1 bn. people has completed another successful election. This is especially remarkable coming on the heels of a major terrorist event. Bhaarat maata ki jai! India_flag_emblem.jpg
:isalute: and good to see a stable govt .. abhi paanch saal tak at least IPL India me hoga .. will watch matches at the stadium once again next year :yay::yay::yay: anyways I enjoyed the IPL 2 in South Africa too .. although it had to be moved due to security concerns during election, it seems to be blessing now ... IPL has got a huge following in South Africa too now and it is might help in Lalit Modi's dream of making it a Manchester United kind of team :eyedance: anyways South African chicks were better than the desi crowd :dance::dance::dance:

I thought Rahul Gandhi is popular amongst girls and regarded as one of the most eligible bachelors in the country :hmmmm2: Anyways I would be happy if he becomes the PM candidate in the next elections as I would like to see an educated Indian youth in the PM chair . .. and Rahul seems to be quite fair and can interact both with common men and elite .. he has got the qualities to be a good leader and I will be happy to see him as PM of India in 2014 .. however he and his party has to work for the Indian people and India's developement in order to retain the respect that he has got from the Indian people I still believe that all political leaders are scumdogs but Rahul Gandhi is an educated youth who thinks about India's developement and hence I would support him if he continues his work
Hmm...i am already married and passed such teen fancy stages .So i don't find Rahul any more eligible:winky: As for PM chair he is showing some maturity,but i just hate this Gandhi dominance and puppet PMs and presidents.I am all for stable Govt,but we have reached at a stage that we can't survive without this particular family .This obsession . He is lucky to be in a well to do family to get such high quality education .Inspite of that he talks like an ordinary person, not showing class and caliber of his education level.His speeches are quite uninspiring .If he is the best one billion population can offer then that is really a worrying factor. Bottom line is quite tired of this Gandhi politics.

Pray tell me what has Rahul Gandhi done to deserve a PM seat ?
Have the surname Gandhi, utter he is secular in every interview and then wave. What else does he need to do!!!!! The gandhis family dog could win an election(sad but true). Indians seem fascinated with the gandhi royal family of india. And vote for them in droves

Have the surname Gandhi, utter he is secular in every interview and then wave. What else does he need to do!!!!! The gandhis family dog could win an election(sad but true). Indians seem fascinated with the gandhi royal family of india. And vote for them in droves
These "Indians" are the ones who matter. Not your opinion. They live in India, they vote based on their confidence. Because we are a democracy, 450 million people voted, and a whole lot of them voted for Congress. Plus, I feel that Dr. Manmohan Singh was a big reason too. BJP were against the Indo-US Nuclear deal despite Dr. Kalam supporting it. They themselves created a problem by projecting two potential Prime Ministers. They were hell bent on insulting the Prime Minister of India by calling him all sorts of names. These are few of the several reasons as to why BJP has lost. Oh, and if a dog win a Gandhi surname can win over BJP, that shows the level BJP has stooped to - doesn't it ?

These "Indians" are the ones who matter. Not your opinion. They live in India, they vote based on their confidence. Because we are a democracy, 450 million people voted, and a whole lot of them voted for Congress. Plus, I feel that Dr. Manmohan Singh was a big reason too. BJP were against the Indo-US Nuclear deal despite Dr. Kalam supporting it. They themselves created a problem by projecting two potential Prime Ministers. They were hell bent on insulting the Prime Minister of India by calling him all sorts of names. These are few of the several reasons as to why BJP has lost. Oh, and if a dog win a Gandhi surname can win over BJP, that shows the level BJP has stooped to - doesn't it ?
On topic of science and technology, Did Dr. Kalam support or oppose 50% reservation in IITs ?

On topic of science and technology' date=' Did Dr. Kalam support or oppose 50% reservation in IITs ?[/quote']
NEW DELHI: The new reservation regime for IITs, IIMs and central universities is now official and will be implemented from the academic session beginning June 2007. The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Bill, 2006 received the assent of the President on Thursday. The Act provides for the reservation in admission of the students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and the Other Backward Classes of citizens, to central educational institutions established, maintained or aided by the central government. As per this Act, institutions maintained and aided by the Central government will have to provide for 15% reservation for Scheduled Cates, 7.5% for Scheduled Tribes and 27% for Other Backward Classes. The new reservation regime outlined by this Act will not apply to central educational institution established in the tribal areas referred to in the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution, such as North Eastern Hill University (NEHU), institutions of excellence, research institutions, institutions of national and strategic importance specified in the Schedule to this Act and minority educational institutions, which have been exempted as per clause (1) of article 30 of the Constitution. The Act mandates that all central educational institutions begin implementing the new reservation regime from the 2007 academci session. However, most institutes, including IITs and IIMs, will implement the 27% quota for OBCs over three years. The Act also requires that these institutions do not reduce the number of seats that are available for general category students from the 2006 levels. The Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Bill, 2006 was passed by both houses of Parliament in December, after nearly a year long process. To ensure that no section of society felt left out of the education system and to ensure better representation of backward classes, the government had in May last year set up the oversight committee under the chairmanship of Veerappa Moily to draw up a roadmap to implement the quota regime.
You mean this one? And how is this related to BJP saying that the Indo-US Nuclear deal is bad ?

You mean this one? And how is this related to BJP saying that the Indo-US Nuclear deal is bad ?
Yes thats additional 27% for OBCs on top of 22.5% already reserved for SCs and STs...that is a total of 50%. No, I am curious as to what Kalam said on that matter. I mean if you think his opinion is important in case of nuclear technology, surely we can also hear his opinion on this too. Also, it is relevant because Congress has gone on a populist spree. Its appeasement of Muslims is well known, which it calls secularism and it just continued with the reservation in IITs and IIMs and other national institutions.

What a stupiud post. Thankfully the Indian public is much more mature than you are. Do you think the Indian people, the common men, worried about roti, Kapda and makan, care for a name? Its people like you who seem to be impresed by the false show of Modi, hindutva, etc. Indian public cares for peace and progress, not mandir and division. They care for development and job opportunity not empty rheotoric Its guys like you who give the impression that they want a winner based on religion and politics rather than REAL issues. So you see the name bJP and want them to win not caring that they did not have a single clear agenda, not caring that they are just empty talk this time, not caring that they do not have a strong leader. Not connected to ground realities at all. Teh Indian public is much maturer than yu and saw behind all these

Hmm...i am already married and passed such teen fancy stages .So i don't find Rahul any more eligible:winky: As for PM chair he is showing some maturity,but i just hate this Gandhi dominance and puppet PMs and presidents.I am all for stable Govt,but we have reached at a stage that we can't survive without this particular family .This obsession . He is lucky to be in a well to do family to get such high quality education .Inspite of that he talks like an ordinary person, not showing class and caliber of his education level.His speeches are quite uninspiring .If he is the best one billion population can offer then that is really a worrying factor. Bottom line is quite tired of this Gandhi politics.
I was just joking with you about the eligible bachelor thing :winky: I also dislike the Gandhi dominance but I consider Rahul Gandhi a lot different... all the old Gandhis became PM just in a matter of an election .. but Rahul Gandhi has worked hard to earn the respect of the people .. Indians are not as much obessed with the Gandhi surname as you might think .. yes it does have an influence but it is not something which is of prime importance ... Rahul Gandhi has connected with the common man in the last 5 years and tried to listen patiently to their problems etc. and also took suggestions to solve them ... he was surely born with a golden spoon as you say but the thing I like about Rahul Gandhi is that he has not taken advantage of that golden spoon .. he was given the PM candidate and then a minister in the cabinet even 5 years ago.. but Rahul Gandhi did not take it .. he went to rural areas, interacted with the common man and made his party stronger in every part of India .. he wont see any arrogance in his speech like most other Gandhi members had .. he is humble, sober and speaks words which touch the hearts of the common man .. he fights for youth and believes that youth should have more participation in politics .. Rahul Gandhi has even pointed fingers at Congress at times for something wrong in the party .. he does not play as dirty as most other politicians .. he has gained respect from Indian people instead of forcing himself like the previous Gandhis. I do not like the dominance of Gandhi in politics but I would surely acknowledge that Rahul Gandhi seems to be a lot different and better than the previous Gandhis .. he has earned his respect from Indian people instead of forcing himself.. I will respect him for that but his actual worth will only be known when he is active in the cabinet or when he becomes the PM... as of now he looks ok.

I was just joking with you about the eligible bachelor thing :winky: I also dislike the Gandhi dominance but I consider Rahul Gandhi a lot different... all the old Gandhis became PM just in a matter of an election .. but Rahul Gandhi has worked hard to earn the respect of the people .. Indians are not as much obessed with the Gandhi surname as you might think .. yes it does have an influence but it is not something which is of prime importance ... Rahul Gandhi has connected with the common man in the last 5 years and tried to listen patiently to their problems etc. and also took suggestions to solve them ... he was surely born with a golden spoon as you say but the thing I like about Rahul Gandhi is that he has not taken advantage of that golden spoon .. he was given the PM candidate and then a minister in the cabinet even 5 years ago.. but Rahul Gandhi did not take it .. he went to rural areas, interacted with the common man and made his party stronger in every part of India .. he wont see any arrogance in his speech like most other Gandhi members had .. he is humble, sober and speaks words which touch the hearts of the common man .. he fights for youth and believes that youth should have more participation in politics .. Rahul Gandhi has even pointed fingers at Congress at times for something wrong in the party .. he does not play as dirty as most other politicians .. he has gained respect from Indian people instead of forcing himself like the previous Gandhis. I do not like the dominance of Gandhi in politics but I would surely acknowledge that Rahul Gandhi seems to be a lot different and better than the previous Gandhis .. he has earned his respect from Indian people instead of forcing himself.. I will respect him for that but his actual worth will only be known when he is active in the cabinet or when he becomes the PM... as of now he looks ok.
:hysterical::hysterical: 5 years of hard work makes you eligible for prime minister ?? Give me one reason why a college going kid would ever want to become a honest politician after seeing a attitude like you showed in this post ? When they see all this family politics going on at the highest level ?? There is a reason politics only attracts scums.

:hysterical::hysterical: 5 years of hard work makes you eligible for prime minister ?? Give me one reason why a college going kid would ever want to become a honest politician after seeing a attitude like you showed in this post ? When they see all this family politics going on at the highest level ?? There is a reason politics only attracts scums.
I am not saying that family politics is right but it is more to do with his soft spoken nature and ability to communicate with the common people... he has also done many political things like he has given more opportunity to the youth in politics in this elections .. he speaks with the youth and can connect more easily with them .. he can connect with various sections of the society which adds to his mass appeal ... I do not like family dominance and I do not respect him for being a Gandhi.. instead he has got respect for being a youth who at least tries to work with the common man .. his final test is yet to come.. we will know how effective he is only when he becomes the PM and I dont think it is anyways nearby

Yes thats additional 27% for OBCs on top of 22.5% already reserved for SCs and STs...that is a total of 50%. No, I am curious as to what Kalam said on that matter. I mean if you think his opinion is important in case of nuclear technology, surely we can also hear his opinion on this too. Also, it is relevant because Congress has gone on a populist spree. Its appeasement of Muslims is well known, which it calls secularism and it just continued with the reservation in IITs and IIMs and other national institutions.
I respect what Kalam has to say with anything regarding Physics. I think he's established that he's one of the best minds India has ever produced with regards to development of Indian technology. Kalam has worked very very hard for the development of Indian missile technology and I respect him because of the sheer amount of stress he's placed on Science/Tech for making India a self-reliant nation. To the reservation thing, you know more about it than I do since I didn't study at IIT. While I didn't agree with reservations, I've spoken to folks who've spent nearly 20-25 years teaching kids who are all from OBC/SC/ST and these guys have visited their homes, villages, etc (in AP) - and a lot of them do think that a certain amount of reservation is necessary. Does it mean 50% is justified? I personally don't think so. I don't think any quota should go above 10%. Plus, this particular act has made sure that the # of seats for the general category don't reduce with the increase in reservation - I don't know whether thats implemented or not - you would know better than I do. And the last part makes a big difference to me, because in other places like the Medical Colleges (in AP), the % of reservation increases but the % of general category decreases to accommodate this change. And according to the ET article, that is not the case with the IIT/IIM reservation. This has been my personal experience. Regarding Congress' populist agenda, well - whatever they did, it worked for them, and whatever BJP did (or didn't do), didn't work.

I agree to grahpic on this matter... I am not against reservation completely as there are backward classes who needs to be helped to get on with the mainstream .. but I dislike the present quota system as many people are benefiting from the caste quota etc... I believe that the present quota system should be abolished and a quota system based on economic background should be introduced.. the people who are poor should be helped as the poor people might come from any caste, coummunity, region etc. .. but I dont think a poor quota in place of the caste quota system will ever be introduced anytime soon

Family politics going to a higher level? Just because a person belongs to a "family" he shouldnt be given a chance even if he si good enough? Do you seriously think UP people voted for him becuase of his family? Do you consider most Indians. ones much older than you, naive? You know what Indian constitution says? That anyone is eligible depsite their families. You are the one who is showing prejudiced based on the family he belongs to, not Indians If for a moment, keeping his family aside, you consider. is he eligible? Answer will be. Yes. But you do have to keep your prejudice aside. Politics does attract scums but you know what. The scums lost this time Half a billion people cannpot be wrong. Aslo, they cannot all be voting for the 'name'. They are more considered for the work they actually did.

Family politics going to a higher level? Just because a person belongs to a "family" he shouldnt be given a chance even if he si good enough? Do you seriously think UP people voted for him becuase of his family? Do you consider most Indians. ones much older than you, naive?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Oh please. From the moment Rahul Gandhi came to the scene, we have seen numerous videos of common folks from towns and villages thronging to see him, touch his feet etc etc. You think all these people are looking at anything more than his name ? He had absolutely no credentials when he came, and still atrracted HUGE crowds. So does his sister, what has she done ? And he fought election from his family property of Amethi in 04 without having done ANYTHING in public sphere at all. And won by a huge margin. In fact, in 2004 Sonia Gandhi could have very well become the PM. What were her credentials at that time ? The truth is that he is nothing without the surname. And you have to seriously smoking some super strong stuff if you think that is not the case. :lmao: Which other 1 term MP not belonging to Gandhi clan has ever had a shot at becoming a PM ?
If for a moment, keeping his family aside, you consider. is he eligible? Answer will be. Yes. But you do have to keep your prejudice aside.
Eligible for what ? For PM ? On what basis ?
Half a billion people cannpot be wrong. Aslo, they cannot all be voting for the 'name'. They are more considered for the work they actually did.
They can be wrong if they are fooled. E.g. America in 2004.

The truth is that he is nothing without the surname. And you have to seriously smoking some super strong stuff if you think that is not the case.
I sincerely hope that you do not hold the same standard when it comes to watching Bollywood, else there is a good chance you are basically watching the movies of Shreyas Talpade and Kunal Khemu only :hysterical::hysterical: Fact is surnames can help. It helped Abhishek Bacchan, it helps Rahul Gandhi. But that help is for the first release, first election. After that it goes down under. Abhiskek Bacchans debut movie flopped, so did Rahul Gandhi's debut stint. Since then both have worked hard and while I am still no Abhishek fan I give him his due as an actor in his own right. You should probably learn to do the same. :winky: xxx

I sincerely hope that you do not hold the same standard when it comes to watching Bollywood' date= else there is a good chance you are basically watching the movies of Shreyas Talpade and Kunal Khemu only :hysterical::hysterical: Fact is surnames can help. It helped Abhishek Bacchan, it helps Rahul Gandhi. But that help is for the first release, first election. After that it goes down under. Abhiskek Bacchans debut movie flopped, so did Rahul Gandhi's debut stint. Since then both have worked hard and while I am still no Abhishek fan I give him his due as an actor in his own right. You should probably learn to do the same. :winky: xxx
The difference being that, politics is supposedly way more important than the entertainment industry to be run on reputation. Anyways, Abhishek had least 20 of his films flopped before a Dhoom came along, and another stretch of flops before a Bunty Babli came along. No one should be surprised if Rahul gets as many chances. :giggle::giggle: Plus, you can always watch Akshay Kumar and Shahrukh khan, the two top most stars in industry today without any surnames. :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

The difference being that, politics is supposedly way more important than the entertainment industry to be run on reputation.
Really? How about economics then? How many modern Industrial "houses" have been created by their current directors? You are telling me that tomorrow if you could get your hands on the share issue of Anil Ambani's firm you are gonna ask him to prove what he has done?? Or do it with Mahindra? Or Mittals? Or Tatas?? Why only industrial houses take any half-decent well off community and see the role the inheritance has played. By the way PK, did you check the results of Punjab? Turns out Congress won an absolute majority there (8 out of possible 13). Are you telling me that Punjabis are toe touching bunch of people who see God in Gandhi surname and would chuck everything to vote for them? See how arguments have funny way of biting in the rear? xxx

Which other 1 term MP not belonging to Gandhi clan has ever had a shot at becoming a PM ?
So true. In no other mature democracy, like for example in the US or Europe, do we have this spectacle of the largest party being completely controlled by one single family. RG might become PM midway through this term, and if that comes about, it would be a slap on the faces of Pranab Mukherjee, AK Antony etc who are incomparably more experienced than him. On the other hand it would be better in the sense that political power would return into the hands of the PM. And RG would be judged in future on his performance rather than surname.