Complaints and Grievances

No. Even against us and the series against SA in Australia' date=' he clocked well over 140. So a swing bowler doesn't need to be as fit as a seam bowler ?[/quote'] No he didnt! He did not clock WELL over 140. He was alsp CR#P. Ishant is bowling over 140 and at times even ZK and Munaf touched 140. Whats your point? Did you see the pace that Clark or ronald mcdonald bowl. There fitness must be pants
When i played high school soccer, we had training three days a week for three hours each. And our coach, who was a Swedish import would make us run drills, do a million sit ups, and some more running drills, some squat walks, some running drills... and then would he let us kick the ball around. He laid emphasis on skill, but more on fitness and agility, and it paid dividends... Let me put it this way, when you and i work regular 8 hour a day jobs, we are not permitted vacations from routine without proper cause! Why must the sports personnel be permitted any, especially when they reap such massive paychecks!!!??
We are training for cricket not football. Your story of this and olympic athlete Phelps are irrelevant. Please give me your view on these names who are not athletes? Warne, Tendulkar, Lara, Ryder, Sehwag, De Silva, Murali, Smith. I wont even go down the road of throwing names in like Hughes, Gatting and Inzi:--D
We are training for cricket not football. Your story of this and olympic athlete Phelps are irrelevant. Please give me your view on these names who are not athletes? Warne, Tendulkar, Lara, Ryder, Sehwag, De Silva, Murali, Smith. I wont even go down the road of throwing names in like Hughes, Gatting and Inzi:--D
actually you are making my point for me. Warne, Tendulkar, Ryder, Sehwag, De Silva, Hughes etc. were all mavericks who will forever be remembered for their exploits with the bat or the ball or both. But spare a thought for what i am trying to state. It is not that this sport comprises of only batting and running. In fact, the greatest bat amongst the top few, easily Inzi (sic), contributed scores of over 40 only once in every three innings, and tendulkar manages a century once in every five to six innings. Thus, an overwhelming amount of the time tendulkar or inzi were or are on the field, they are expected to be safe with their hands, fit with their runnings between the wickets and accurate with their throwing. Between them, they are both poor fielders, one marginally better than the other, neither renowned for their running between the wickets (one a serial offender), and they are just marginal with their throwing. I.e. 3 out of the 5 innings in which tendulkar is unable to score a century or a 40+ socre, he is actually a liability to the team. Can any athlete stake claim to glory with such abysmal showing? And this is the finest cricketer of the past two decades. Dont even get me started on the less illustrious performers.
Um' date=' no. Being an athlete helps you a LOT in fielding skills and general energy levels throughout the day. Why do you think Mitchell Johnson and Siddle can bowl at greater than 145kmh even at the end of the day ?[/quote'] Quoted for truth. Meanwhile, India lose a wicket in a manner reinforcing THX's points. Slow running from India, sharp fielding from NZ and a crucial wicket of a guy who's in such form that the only ways to get him out are brilliant fielding, the batsman himself or an umpiring error. This is what good fielding and fitness can do!

Given that Indian team has cricket talent and Gary Kirsten need not do too many things in that area, he needs to focus on fitness, fielding and running between wickets. Sehwag getting out like this is terrible!, terrible blow to our team. We let NZ off the mat on day1 and get this run out early day 2. Sucks!

actually you are making my point for me. Warne, Tendulkar, Ryder, Sehwag, De Silva, Hughes etc. were all mavericks who will forever be remembered for their exploits with the bat or the ball or both. But spare a thought for what i am trying to state. It is not that this sport comprises of only batting and running. In fact, the greatest bat amongst the top few, easily Inzi (sic), contributed scores of over 40 only once in every three innings, and tendulkar manages a century once in every five to six innings. Thus, an overwhelming amount of the time tendulkar or inzi were or are on the field, they are expected to be safe with their hands, fit with their runnings between the wickets and accurate with their throwing. Between them, they are both poor fielders, one marginally better than the other, neither renowned for their running between the wickets (one a serial offender), and they are just marginal with their throwing. I.e. 3 out of the 5 innings in which tendulkar is unable to score a century or a 40+ socre, he is actually a liability to the team. Can any athlete stake claim to glory with such abysmal showing? And this is the finest cricketer of the past two decades. Dont even get me started on the less illustrious performers.
Since when is Sachin a poor fielder??? What cricket have you been watching over the last 20 years? A liabilty to the team when unable to score tons??? Grow up!
Given that Indian team has cricket talent and Gary Kirsten need not do too many things in that area' date=' he needs to focus on fitness, fielding and running between wickets. [b']Sehwag getting out like this is terrible!, terrible blow to our team. We let NZ off the mat on day1 and get this run out early day 2. Sucks!
These things happen once in a while- it was one of the odd bad luck things I would be more worried if our batting collapsed or something vs. this odd one-time miss
Quoted for truth. Meanwhile, India lose a wicket in a manner reinforcing THX's points. Slow running from India, sharp fielding from NZ and a crucial wicket of a guy who's in such form that the only ways to get him out are brilliant fielding, the batsman himself or an umpiring error. This is what good fielding and fitness can do!
India's fielding is appalling to say the least. To say we are good is just hiding behind truth. Dravid dropped a catch, Sehwag did and then Ishant missed a runout -- a smilar one which they got. :omg: Shewag should trim up quite a bit, now that his place is secure I think he has gone back to eating paneer and biryani -- moron. He was running I mean waddling like a pregnant Penguin. Come on -- why the f did he not slide near the crease?
India's fielding is appalling to say the least. To say we are good is just hiding behind truth. Dravid dropped a catch, Sehwag did and then Ishant missed a runout -- a smilar one which they got. :omg: Shewag should trim up quite a bit, now that his place is secure I think he has gone back to eating paneer and biryani -- moron. He was running I mean waddling like a pregnant Penguin. Come on -- why the f did he not slide near the crease?
Very few Indian players slide near the crease or dive to complete a tight run. In this: Kaif was the best, he used to dive flat to complete tight runs. Our ODI team has some very good runners in Raina, Yuvi etc. But the Maharathis (Laxman, Dravid) and Mid-rathis (Sehwag) don't really dive and slide.

^ Given the above - the best thing in Test matches would be to not take these tight runs or try to convert the ones into twos, and twos into threes. Keep all of that modern day cricket for ODIs and T20. For Test match, we should go back to what we are good at - waiting for the loose delivery, and sending it to the boundary. Snatching the safe singles and twos. No need to risk it in Tests. Atleast until the next gen of quick runners get into the Test squad a few years down the line. And the BASICS - slide your bat, don't plonk it down etc - teach these and make them practice it in school cricket so the foundation is strong when yengsters grow.

NZ dropped two catches and two massive misfields which went for runs staright throught he fielders. One ball went straight through super fit guptill. Ishants mis throw was cos of pathetic NZ running btwn wickets. Dravdis drop was very hard. Only clear balls up was sehwags drop. Today aussies had a shocking misfield when grandad aussie spinner exploded and went through him, even Munaf would have stopped that one

But the Maharathis (Laxman' date=' Dravid) and Mid-rathis (Sehwag) don't really dive and slide.[/quote'] Sehwag DOESN'T NEED TO. Reminds me of that story of Graeme Pollock batting with Jonty Rhodes once. Rhodes, being his usual hyperactive self, kept trying for quick singles and Pollock (by then not a young man by any means) was getting irritated. Finally he told Rhodes "leave it to me", and took four fours in the next over he faced. Didn't bother running at all. Sehwag's like that. I don't give a flying **** if he's a bit overweight or can't run at the speed of Kaif or even Gambhir. He more than makes up for it by his sheer talent (and besides, he can run quite well in partnerships with the right people.)

^ Yes, and that's what I alluded when I say (esp. for Tests):

For Test match, we should go back to what we are good at - waiting for the loose delivery, and sending it to the boundary. Snatching the safe singles and twos. No need to risk it in Tests. Atleast until the next gen of quick runners get into the Test squad a few years down the line.
Since when is Sachin a poor fielder??? What cricket have you been watching over the last 20 years? A liabilty to the team when unable to score tons??? Grow up!
he is not particularly sharp slip fielder and spilled quite a few many chances in the aussie and english series. he is however, a reasonably decent outfielder.
some of u live in a delusional world. enjoy when ur team is winning' date=' [b']its never going to be a indian cricket utopia out there ...ever.
Why!?? We have talented cricketers - the fitness, fielding and physical stamina some basics need to be improved. Thats what comes to bite us many times, and also some mental conditioning needed for folks like Sreesanth, Munaf Patel et.al. If these can be fixed, and I dont see why it can't be - if we start with yengsters in school itself, then why can't we beat the best consistently?