IPL Superselector is Up - Top 30 to be Rewarded. $ICF 20 Million Prize Money

varun

IPL and SS are literally making me very unproductive. I commute to work 2 hours each way and I need to get up by 5:30 to ensure that I select the right team. And for days like today, it is frustrating to refresh the page every few minutes to ensure the toss has not taken place.

Varun bhaayi... can you please check the code once. I feel that the points for wides are being added to the bowlers' points instead of being subtracted. No no-ball has been bowled yet in this IPL' date=' so I am not sure about that.[/quote'] Thanks Karteek.. I'll take a look Edit: Good catch ! You were right.. I have made the changes and updated all scores. Some of you might see a slight reduction in your scores (like 10-15 points) due to the recalculation

Can we please keep discussions on this thread related to SS? Thanks
:yawn2: BTW what is the best strategy to get ahead in the SS .. why do you guys substitute the player in every match ... what benefit does it have I have the most players in my team from MI, DD and CSK and one match of both MI and DD were almost washed away :(( ... guys is there any guide for the best strategy to play SS :dontknow:

:yawn2: BTW what is the best strategy to get ahead in the SS .. why do you guys substitute the player in every match ... what benefit does it have I have the most players in my team from MI, DD and CSK and one match of both MI and DD were almost washed away :(( ... guys is there any guide for the best strategy to play SS :dontknow:
Viru If you read this thread the stratey for this year is suggested through the discussion. To even mantain your spot you really need to actively substitute players because risk to reward ratio is too low because of only 10 penalty points. In substituting you are trying to include the potential top performers- to move ahead however you have to also take a risk on 1-2 dark horses that majority is not picking and hope they outperform the others. Having said that, as per my my analysis even by doing that folks who are not in the top 20-25 stand very little chance of moving ahead unless the leaders just stop following the matches & substituting players; this is where the only 10 penalty point rule takes the fun out for the longer run.

Viru If you read this thread the stratey for this year is suggested through the discussion. To even mantain your spot you really need to actively substitute players because risk to reward ratio is too low because of only 10 penalty points. In substituting you are trying to include the potential top performers- to move ahead however you have to also take a risk on 1-2 dark horses that majority is not picking and hope they outperform the others. Having said that, as per my my analysis even by doing that folks who are not in the top 20-25 stand very little chance of moving ahead unless the leaders just stop following the matches & substituting players; this is where the only 10 penalty point rule takes the fun out for the longer run.
I want to clarify that while substituting are only 10 points deducted or ( 10 points + newly selected player's existing points) For example if I have Dale Steyn right now who has got 20 points and I decide to replace him with Murali who has got 103 points then how much will be deducted from the total. Will it be only 10 points or will it be 103 + 10 = 113 points Please clarify it as I am new to SS

I want to clarify that while substituting are only 10 points deducted or ( 10 points + newly selected player's existing points) For example if I have Dale Steyn right now who has got 20 points and I decide to replace him with Murali who has got 103 points then how much will be deducted from the total. Will it be only 10 points or will it be 103 + 10 = 113 points Please clarify it as I am new to SS
The net result will be -10 Think of it this way; when you substitute Steyn with Murali your score will increase by 83 points (103-20); this is unfair because you are getting a player with higher points that were earned when he was not in your team so an adjustment of 83 points will be made to bring your score back to where it was and in addition 10 points will be deducted because of substitution penalty so net result is -10. For e.g. if your score was 500 now it should be 490 after the substitution. Got it??

:wall: :wall:

The net result will be -10 Think of it this way; when you substitute Steyn with Murali your score will increase by 83 points (103-20); this is unfair because you are getting a player with higher points that were earned when he was not in your team so an adjustment of 83 points will be made to bring your score back to where it was and in addition 10 points will be deducted because of substitution penalty so net result is -10. For e.g. if your score was 500 now it should be 490 after the substitution. Got it??
Got it.. thanks buddy :icflove:

I dont think keeping the substitution penalty low (10 pointsw only) is a bad idea. Some ppl are saying unless we actively substitute we cant keep the top position. Yes.. thats exactly the case. As a super selector you are supposed to do that dude. Do you think we'll spare Srikanth and Co, if they meet just once in a year and pick a squad for the entire year, thinking that on the long run, every player will perform on an average and ifyou see at the end of the year, the team would have won a lot of points collectively. Nay.. right? Same way.. while we are at it.. we need to get on the ground (not literally.. but thru various information channels), find out who is the opposition, whats the ground is like, pitch is like, who among our players are fit and unfit, who has the best chance of playing well against this opposition under these conditions etc. If we bat first, this is the player i want to have in my team, if we bat second this is the player i want in my team - all these decisions are to be taken. thats why it is important to keep the substitution window open till the openers walk out. Also while subbing, its not just bringing in a player. You are also removing a player, and you need to spend another 10 points when you want to bring him back again. So you need to figure out who you can drop and who you should retain. For example... if a team that plays today also plays day after tomorrow... I wont drop all 4 from that team. I will only drop all 4 from a team if its next game is quite a few days away. Similarly the combination rules also need to be taken care of. If I think this match is going to be a run fest so let me have all 4 batsmen from both teams, the rules of the game are not going to allow me. All these make the game more interesting. And you cant pick one dream team at the beginning of the tournament and relax. You need to react to the dynamics and keep subbing. Only then you can keep getting ahead. Also, i dont agree wit the point that only those in the top 20 or 30 will be able to retain their leads. Not everyone in the top wil always choose the same 8 all the time. Some may bet on a less known guy who goes on to play an excellent knock or pull off a 5 for and bang he collects 200 points or so, and the guys who picked him will move up the ladder. Good example was those who picked Anil Kumble (how many of us thought Anil will pulll off something like that). Also frantically dropping someone who dint score for u in a match is not a good thing. Like what happened with Flintofrf, Gayle etc. They came back and gave good performance in their 2nd game. So its a straqtegy game, and also a game that requires a lot of reacting to the dynamics. Best way to deal with it is - to play it.

Thanks Karteek.. I'll take a look Edit: Good catch ! You were right.. I have made the changes and updated all scores. Some of you might see a slight reduction in your scores (like 10-15 points) due to the recalculation
No problem. However, I guess the bowlers I have been choosing have been bowling far more extras. Should have checked that before posting ;)

Viru Having said that, as per my my analysis even by doing that folks who are not in the top 20-25 stand very little chance of moving ahead unless the leaders just stop following the matches & substituting players; this is where the only 10 penalty point rule takes the fun out for the longer run.
15 substitution points could have been ideal and I do agree with you to a certain extent. However, as dinakar said, if you are not making subs everyday, you are screwed. And as far as catching up with leaders is concerned, we are still in the seventh game. I believe every team has 5-7 potential point-earners and everyone does not necessarily picks the right four. I believe that midway through the tournament, there would be some serious changes in the leaderboard if everyone subs regularly.

I have a suggestion for Varun. I am not sure how the database and the model are designed, but I think that to be fair to all the selectors, performance in the best 45-50 matches should be taken into account. There might be days when the internet is not functioning or the selector might be sick or he might have some work due to which (s)he could not make the changes. Also, this would be an ideal way to encourage late-comers or selectors who are just getting to know how this works. And moreover, it would keep at least 50-70% if the folks interested if not more instead of just the top 50. Currently, the 50th ranked is at 800 and the leader is at 1350. And as Suraj has been mentioning, there is little inspiration for the 50th ranked to compete.

I have a suggestion for Varun. I am not sure how the database and the model are designed' date=' but I think that to be fair to all the selectors, performance in the best 45-50 matches should be taken into account. There might be days when the internet is not functioning or the selector might be sick or he might have some work due to which (s)he could not make the changes. Also, this would be an ideal way to encourage late-comers or selectors who are just getting to know how this works. And moreover, it would keep at least 50-70% if the folks interested if not more instead of just the top 50. Currently, the 50th ranked is at 800 and the leader is at 1350. And as Suraj has been mentioning, there is little inspiration for the 50th ranked to compete.[/quote'] The guys who are outside the top 50 should think differently, pick dark horses, and hope they outperform the others. That way slowly they can go up the ladder. With anoter 40 plus matches to go, I dont think the leader board will be packed with the same ppl. say for ex: when KKR plays... chances are that most f the top 50 ppl will pck gayle, mccullum, dada, ishant. Here is whr the ones who are behind should pik ppl like Shukla, Dinda etc and if they pull off some 400 points, while G, M, D and I all fail, they automatically jump some 40 places, if not more... as far as hiccups like falling sick, internet failure are concerned.. thats part and parcel of playin this game. thats the beauty of Varun bhai's game (Varun - you sould seriously consider patenting this game mate). For today's game i had to make only 5 changes (not 8) cos I retained 3 BRC players after Chennai game cos they are playing again in 2 days. Before leaving office I picked 3 DC players and left the last 2 places to be picked later after knowing who's gonna bat first. I left ofc at 7.15 hoping to reach home by 7.45 and make the remaining two changes. But wait.. it started raining in blr and i was caught in a heavy traffic jam. No way am gonnu make it home before the game starts. Thats when iPhone came to my rescue. While in the jam, I opened cricinfo, found vital info that DC are batting first and Ryder is in. Pulled the car at a parking, opened ICF and made the remaiing 2 changes. It is days like these with hiccups and challenges that make the whole experience of playing ICF SS that much more intersting. Last year's game is still fresh in my memory (when I was still a bachelor) and how I used to get home before the match, frantically make subs, and have a sutta after that. This year... my wife is giving me punishing looks and threatens to stop cooking if I continue playing this damn game... :)

The guys who are outside the top 50 should think differently, pick dark horses, and hope they outperform the others. That way slowly they can go up the ladder. With anoter 40 plus matches to go, I dont think the leader board will be packed with the same ppl.
True. I started after three matches at the 241st position and am currently in the 100-150 range. It is great fun being here because you go up or down by 5-10 positions every ten minutes. I was in the top-10 for a while in the first IPL (was away on two successive weekends and that destroyed any chances) but being mid-table is much more interesting.