The batsman with the best technique is.....???

I think the best definition of perfect technique is : "The way Tendulkar plays." And Dravid is behind Tendulkar in that. I still remember in the last Australia tour some coach brought his students to the nets to stand and watch Tendulkar. When asked he said "Where else can I show them a better demonstration of copybook stroke play?"
I respectfully disagree (and you know how big a Sachin fan I am). Sachin is a perfect batsman. He has the required technique to do whatever he wants with any given ball (and make it look pretty while doing so. woot). So, in this process, he does manufacture a lot of shots he plays (the ramp shot, the slog sweep, etc.). Dravid plays the ball likes its supposed to be - and he does not have a side on defense. It is a method of dead batting a swinging delivery.
Dravid has got a solid defensive technique. But technique is not all about that. I think Dravid has an overdose of perfection that results in defensive cricket. He gets so close to the ball that defense becomes a natural shot. A batsman with a great technique should be able to defend as well as attack with good technique. Tendulkar can get into position so fast that he can defend or attack at will. Thats great technique.
Then we fundamentally disagree on what a correct technique is. Yes, the purpose is to score runs, but for me, technique is about playing the ball on merit, and thats where "copybook" comes in because Sachin can play a backfoot cover drive that is not there for the drive (:yay::yay:) - while Dravid would play it much squarer of the wicket, which is what the batting coaches, et. al would ask you to do (as its written somewhere or something like that).
Perfection is Dravid's weakness. Its Tendulkar's strength.
This just sounds really good. :D So it deserves a separate quotation. :hatsoff:
if ur talking pure defense , then ur talking dravid, raina-rocks just watch the matches
This is completely naive..with that mindset no wonder you don't compare them objectively without letting your bias cloud your judgement. Dravid often gets caught on the frontfoot because he premeditates it a small extent(after his initial backward trigger movement) and then moves back f the ball is short(he does this very well) or remains there if the ball is relatively full(not a massive flaw by any means but we have to be meticulous when we are comparing these two!!) whereas Tendulkar remains perfectly still and once he spots the length either moves front/back with absolute precision(except when manufactures strokes ofcourse). Now here is why i have a problem with Dravid's method..okay he premeditates the frontfoot movement and moves the left leg forward (the signature Rahul Dravid fwd defensive posture..we prolly have seen this a million times by now!). What this does is it limits his options when the ball is relatively full.His driving-span(if i may call it that) is less compared Sachin's and other problem being with his left foot planted already if the ball is pitched inside the line of his left foot..he has to play "around his pads" and that is very risky indeed.This is difference is clearly visible when they are playing the spinners. For these two reasons and for the economy of effort in his technique i would rate Sachin a touch higher.
You can talk to any number of people and they will tell you that you can't get better than Rahul Dravid in terms of batting technique. .
Actually i don't believe any (ex)-cricketer has gone on record saying Dravid has a better technique than Sachin. Sachin has been regarded as technically as close to perfect as possible by Viv Richards,Ponting,Richie Benaud. Even Don Bradman said he saw a bit of himself in Sachin.You can add Boycott to the list too.And Boycott is a nutter..in that he will rate a batsman solely on defensive technique.
Actually i don't believe any (ex)-cricketer has gone on record saying Dravid has a better technique than Sachin. Sachin has been regarded as technically as close to perfect as possible by Viv Richards' date=Ponting,Richie Benaud. Even Don Bradman said he saw a bit of himself in Sachin.
And, many, including Fingleton will tell you that Bradman's technique was not copybook - which is what I was arguing.

Well the term "copybook" is a tricky one..what did "the book" ask batsmen to do during the bodyline series? And look what Bradman did. Similarly i can imagine what the reaction would be like when Ranjitsinghji first played the leg glance!.Over generations views change as to what the right technique is.. However i can confidently say that one of the most important parameters taken into consideration is the economy of effort.It seems to me given two equally great techniques you should rate the one which requires less effort higher.

Dravid has got a solid defensive technique. But technique is not all about that. I think Dravid has an overdose of perfection that results in defensive cricket. He gets so close to the ball that defense becomes a natural shot. A batsman with a great technique should be able to defend as well as attack with good technique. Tendulkar can get into position so fast that he can defend or attack at will. Thats great technique. Perfection is Dravid's weakness. Its Tendulkar's strength.
amazing post bro. :hatsoff:

I think people are confused with good technique and good defense. Good defense is part of good technique not the other way around. And on the same note, just because SRT scores faster doesn't mean he slogs, which he rarely does. SRT can hit boundaries even off good balls because he has excellent attacking technique as well. While RSD is excellent in defensive technique, I just don't see how he has better overall technique than SRT.

I think people are confused with good technique and good defense. Good defense is part of good technique not the other way around. And on the same note, just because SRT scores faster doesn't mean he slogs, which he rarely does. SRT can hit boundaries even off good balls because he has excellent attacking technique as well. While RSD is excellent in defensive technique, I just don't see how he has better overall technique than SRT.
Well said. Fully agree.
:cantstop: inadvertently - unintentionally
i know that shano at least i am doing something good......even though its unintentional BTW we should not have a quarrel being MI supporters....we shud cheer them as much as wee can and see them winning :two_thumbs_up: :yay:

Batsman with the best technique is Tendulkar by far .Dravid's defense is strong yet he is so vulnerable to left arm swing .He had trouble facing Akram and even Johnson too.As for Sachin i can't remember any such apparent weakness against any sort of bowling .