Sachin is God, Mumbai is my city: Malinga

Guest gaurav_indian

Guest gaurav_indian

Sachin is God, Mumbai is my city: Malinga

CAPE TOWN: Mahela Jayawardene once said that the toughest time he ever had with Lasith Malinga was while convincing the fast bowler why tattoos wouldn’t suit him. That was in 2005, when Malinga was just a year old in international cricket. The bowler with a sling-arm action, known for his athleticism, was the new face. Over the last two years, he’s copped criticism for being erratic, has had questions asked about his action and a mystery knee treatment. Yet, he remains one of the fastest. Excerpts from an interview... Finally, you’re getting to be a part of the IPL. I was looking forward to the tournament last year. Who wouldn’t? There were such great teams in place and to play in a side with Sachin Tendulkar, Shaun Pollock and Sanath Jayasuriya would’ve been great. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity because of my injury. But this year I want to make the most of what I’ve got. The injury and treatment got a lot of attention. I don’t know how the injury happened. I got up one morning, during the One-day series in Australia and experienced some pain in my knee. There was a slight swelling and I first thought it might just be inflammation. But that wasn’t the case. What I thought was just a slight inflammation kept me out of cricket for some 10 months. The (Sri Lankan) board provided the best treatment, but the pain was still there. I couldn’t do anything during that time, even brisk walking or things like climbing stairs was a problem. Then, the President of Sri Lanka took personal interest. He introduced me to a doctor who could finally help me. What is it that the President’s doctor did? It’s still a mystery. An injury that was there for 10 months disappeared in five days. The doctor, Eliyantha White, treated me with some herbs and I’m told that he works with supernatural elements. I don’t know what he did or how but neither the pain or swelling was there anymore. I will thank him and the President all my life. Are you making a point now not to strain yourself? Nothing like that. I do the same things I always used to do, try to bowl as fast as I used to. It was a bad dream, that injury, and I don’t think too much about it now. T20 is a good way to keep yourself in rhythm. You have only four overs, it keeps you fresh while getting to bowl to the best batsmen. Tell us about your bowling. How comfortable are you with your sling-arm action and does speed mean everything to you? There was a time when I used to bowl 155 kmph on a regular basis. I can still do that and I want to bowl fast, but on most occasions I now try to keep myself between 140 to 150 kmph, changing as per the need. I definitely look for a lot more line and length now. I’m very lucky to be comfortable with the kind of action I have and I do understand early on, it makes the batsman a little uncomfortable. Who are the batsmen you reckon to be the most dangerous in the world? Sachin and Sanath of course. Gayle and Sehwag in particular can be really tough to bowl to if they get going. No more tattoos and long, wild hair? I don’t stop myself from doing what I like. But it is not necessary that I am all about what you see me as in person. Over the years, the game has taught me a few things. Tell us about your relation with Sachin Tendulkar and the city of Mumbai Mumbai is my favourite Indian city and Tendulkar is god. He’s the one player I’ve admired most.
http://ipl.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sachin-is-God-Mumbai-is-my-city-Malinga/articleshow/4441963.cms :yay::yay: