How is Robin Uthappa's keeping?

bharat297

I am unable to watch the matches myself because its only being coveraged on One Digital or One HD here in Sydney, but I am curious as to how Uthappa has performed as a keeper so far this tournament. He has kept for 4 matches I believe and am wondering generally how he did. How was his footwork? Did he miss simple chances? Was his general positioning and awareness good? Overall, what was the perception. The reason I ask this is that India need to start looking at a backup keeper, whenever Dhoni needs to rest or gets injured. Time and time again we have tried Karthik and Parthiv and time and time again they have failed. Now dont get me wrong, I am not saying that Uthappa automatically goes above the other domestic keepers in the pecking order. I am just curious as to whether he could make a permanent shift, because in my opinion I dont think he can be a long term member of the side purely based on his batting. If he were to add keeping to his repertoire it would strengthen his case for a recall. Not to mention the fact that he'll be quite chirpy behind the stumps.

His keeping was a revelation. He has very soft hands and is a very good keeper of spin bowling as well...But he wont catch anything spectacular. He is pretty safe and an ideal ODI/T20 keeper. (But he has to improve his batting. Maybe batting down the order would solve some issues).