It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness

King

Re: It's official - Pakistan's cricketers lack mental toughness

Baseball ki ma ki :lmao: What a **** sport! Don't EVER mention baseball in a cricket forum :hic:
Dude , it may be dumb as* sport. But guess what , nobody gives s*it about cricket too except in the subcontinent. In fact , I won't be surprised if baseball is gaining more popularity in the caribbean and cricket is losing some. In fact , I remember reading an article in sportstar few years ago in which curtly ambrose attributes baseball and basketball as the main reasons for diminishing popularity of cricket.

Not true. You need to have excellent reflexes to field in any of these positions- first second or third base or the most important position which is shortstop. Also' date=' a baseball player can have at the most 20 misfield per season of 160 games. A single error can cost the game and their are players selected for their fielding skills alone.[/quote'] similar position to where slip fielders stand in cricket, in baseball its considered foul when the ball goes in that area... no fielder is there..
That exactly is what I am saying. KR you are undermining the relfex that is needed to field in slips, gully, point, sq leg, short third man, short fine leg, silly point, forward short leg, short gully and few more close in positions. Catching at slips, gully is pretty much blinding. You are waiting for the edges not a straight forward hit. In base ball you are not fielding a ball that is edged. You can never equate the catchers that are in close catching positions such as short sq leg, forward short leg or silly point for spinners in base ball. I remember Raman Lamba was killed while fielding in one such position. Has there been a fatal knock such as this in Baseball?
I don't know about fatal, right from the top of my head , I can remember a baseball pitcher seriously injured and his career terminated because of the hit he took from the batter. Agreed that a slip or forward shortleg fielder may need more reflex but even you should not discount the margin of error in baseball which is very minimal. If we examine our Indian cricket team guys like laxman , kumble , ganguly , munaf etc will never be allowed to field in baseball. One error and the match is won or lost. In fact , Bill Buckner of Boston Redsox become famously infamous because if his fielding error in 1986 which cost them the world series.

I don't know about fatal, right from the top of my head , I can remember a baseball pitcher seriously injured and his career terminated because of the hit he took from the batter. Agreed that a slip or forward shortleg fielder may need more reflex but even you should not discount the margin of error in baseball which is very minimal. If we examine our Indian cricket team guys like laxman , kumble , ganguly , munaf etc will never be allowed to field in baseball. One error and the match is won or lost. In fact , Bill Buckner of Boston Redsox become famously infamous because if his fielding error in 1986 which cost them the world series.
Similarly a lot of big baseballers would never be allowed to field in close catching positions as they lack good reflexes. You can see that the big guys make good fast bowlers in cricket but not usually great close in catchers. Every team sport has its share of rough tasks but cricket is one of those at the top of the lists surely. It won't take much to break your fingers and joints trying to catch a ball. Luckily we have good gear these days and it's not as fatal anymore but it takes a lot of courage to face up to big fast men or field in close in positions.