Qadir resigns as chief selector

Feed

di di LAHORE - Pakistan chief selector Abdul Qadir resigned on Monday following Pakistan 's dismal loss in the opening match of the ICC World Twenty20 tournament against England. "I have resigned from my post in the best interests of Pakistan cricket," Qadir said , adding it had nothing to do with Sunday's defeat to tournament hosts England. "I played my cricket with respect and wanted the same as selector but things were not like that," said Qadir, who was reportedly angry withSports?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Sports?i=cicR7XiPrBc:ImaV2j8cOdg:V_sGLiPBpWU cicR7XiPrBc Pakistan chief selector Abdul Qadir resigned on Monday following Pakistan 's dismal loss in the opening match of the ICC World Twenty20 tournament against England. "I have resigned from my post in the best interests of Pakistan cricket," Qadir said , adding it had nothing to do with Sunday's defeat to tournament hosts England. "I played my cricket with respect and wanted the same as selector but things were not like that," said Qadir, who was reportedly angry with the selections for the World Twenty20 and the Pakistan "A" team for a tour of Australia. A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) spokesman confirmed the former leg-spinner had resigned. "Qadir has tendered his resignation to the chairman of the PCB, who has accepted," PCB spokesman Raza Rashid said. Qadir, who assumed charge in October last year, was apparently unhappy over the inclusion of paceman Rao Iftikhar as a replacement for injured Shoaib Akhtar in Pakistan's World Twenty20 squad. Pakistan lost to England by 48 runs in their opening match of the tournament at the Oval - a defeat that jeopardised their chances of progressing to the Super Eight stages.Pakistan must now beat the Netherlands on Tuesday by a big margin to sneak into the next round on net run-rate. "Like others, I am also hurt with the defeat but it has nothing to do with my decision," said Qadir, who took 236 wickets in 67 Tests. He also had a tally of 132 wickets in 104 one-day internationals.Resigned Qadir to hold press-conference today Meanwhile, Qadir's son Salman Qadir said: "Yes, my dad has submitted his resignation to-day," he said from Lahore without divulging the reason for it. "He is scheduled to hold a press-conference today in Lahore and would disclose the reason for tendering his resignation," he added. More...

The loss claims the first victim the chief selectory. It's a shame Pakistan is not even done with the tourney (I'm fairly sure they should be able to make it to the next round) the chief selector has resigned due to differences. If you want to know why Pakistan is not able to come up with a good team, look no further than the politics. Qadir used to criticize everything related to Pakistan cricket and when he gets a chance to mend it he quits. None of these former stars seems to respect their jobs with PCB and are very ego-centric.

Pakistan selectors called dummies! Yes we all suspected it, now Qadir confirms it: http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan/content/story/408635.html

PCB gave me no independence - Abdul Qadir Osman Samiuddin June 12, 2009 Text size: A | A "I would've asked Younis to step down from ODI and Twenty20 cricket and made Shahid Afridi captain in both formats" © AFP Related Links News: Qadir steps down as chief selector Player/Officials: Abdul Qadir Teams: Pakistan Having maintained a steady silence since he abruptly stepped down from his post as chief selector earlier this week, Abdul Qadir finally let loose on the reasons behind his decision, blaming primarily a lack of independence in his role. Qadir also said had it been his choice, Pakistan's Twenty20 side would not be led by Younis Khan and that Shoaib Malik would not be in the side at all. :giggle::hysterical: In particular, Qadir launched an attack on Intikhab Alam, Pakistan's coach, and Yawar Saeed, the team's manager, blaming them for interfering in selections and rendering his selectors "a dummy" committee. :haha: "Why did I resign? If you do not get the respect, the justice or independence in your job it is better to leave," Qadir told Cricinfo. "If the PCB does not honour its contract then what is the point? I was told I would be given independence and a free hand in selection but that has not been the case." The spark for the differences seems to have emerged from the ambiguous parameters assigned to the chief selector. The board's policy, for home games, is that the selection committee decides on a playing XI, in consultation with coach and captain. According to Qadir, 'consultation' allowed, effectively, the team management to finalise the XI without any input from selectors. "The contract says that if there is a dispute over the final XI for a home game, the selector decides in consultation with coach and captain," Qadir said. "Here, the coach and manager and captain were deciding the XI so the selectors were not doing anything. Even the players for the central contracts - we had no say in that. If guys like Yawar Saeed and Intikhab Alam are handling these things, interfering, then why have selectors?" Several ideas of his, Qadir said, had not been considered. One was a suggestion on improving Pakistan's bench strength by organizing matches between four teams with all the best talent in Pakistan. Other ideas were more radical. Had he been given the independence he wanted, for example, Younis would not be the captain of Pakistan's Twenty20 side. "When I first was appointed as selector I said then we should have two captains but they didn't listen to me. I would've asked Younis to step down from ODI and Twenty20 cricket and made Shahid Afridi captain in both formats. :hysterical: I would've kicked Shoaib Malik out of the side totally because I noticed in Dubai that he is conspiring and forming cliques against Younis." :hysterical::haha: Pakistan only recently made its selection committee a full-time, salaried one; Qadir was the second such head, after Salahuddin Ahmed, who stepped down last year. "I did not do this for the money. I kick the PCB's money. I did it to bring justice to Pakistan's real talent that goes unnoticed every day. The whole system has to change and men such as Yawar Saeed and Intikhab Alam have to be removed from it. Otherwise nothing will change. I have nothing against Ijaz Butt but the system must change." The other two members of the committee, ex-Test cricketers Salim Jaffer and Shoaib Mohammad are still in place and no replacement has yet been sought for Qadir.