India capable of back-to-back wins

Feed

India’s loss against a clinical West Indies has left the blue brigade with the momentous task of needing two wins in their last two Super8s games to secure a semifinal berth. Matthew Hayden writes. More... India’s loss against a clinical West Indies has left the blue brigade with the momentous task of needing two wins in their last two Super8s games to secure a semifinal berth. India did well to put up a par-score of 153 after losing wickets early on, although that was not enough to challenge the strong West Indies. India have everything to play for against England on Sunday, and only a strong effort will help them overcome the inconsistent and unpredictable hosts. I honestly don’t think India were aggressive enough early on against the West Indies, as the first six overs is where batsmen have to take a few undue risks. Suresh Raina didn’t trouble the scorers too much in the previous game; although I’m glad he got an opportunity at number 3. He will look to deliver the goods from that preferred position. India’s bowlers will have to be right on the money to keep the likes of Owais Shah and Kevin Pietersen quiet. With Zaheer Khan hitting the right straps, there shouldn’t be too many concerns. The pressure is on India but I’m extremely confident about the ability in the squad to come good. England are also in a must-win situation after surrendering against the Proteas, and KP will look to deliver much like his knock against Pakistan. Power and speed are two important elements in T20, and KP seems to have both these characteristics imbedded in his batting. There is no doubt that he is a genuine match-winner. England will undoubtedly miss the services of Andrew Flintoff and England are not as strong a side as they are with him in the ranks. Sri Lanka also go up against the Irish, and will eye a comfortable two points.