Three cheers for skipper Dravid!

Re: Three cheers for skipper Dravid! Dhoni should be VC and future captain. He is level headed & has shown that he has the ability to mix caution & aggression in his approach. He is also the only permanent fixture in both forms of the game. Yes, tests also. Dhoni must however improve his communication with his mates (he hasnt been too vocal behind the stumps). If Dhoni doesnt materialize Dravid continues to be skips, until we find someone else. Yuvraj is not a leader. He does not have the discipline to be a leader. He gets into fights with his team mates far too often & is inconsistent with his bat. He hasnt shown too much cricket acumen in general. He is a raw talent, which is bext expressed when unburdended. I'd leave him alone.

Re: Three cheers for skipper Dravid!

Tendulkar's captaincy was woeful - anyone who denies this clearly never watched the Indian team play during his tenure.
Forget all that. He renounced captaincy at the PEAK of his batting powers, citing burdens/pressure as reasons. He clearly admitted captaincy was affecting his batting even during his best batting days, back then. Now it appears he would take captaincy with both hands when offered. Why is this transformation ? Perhaps the only way to ensure 35 crores income per year ?

Re: Three cheers for skipper Dravid! He was averaging 50+ as a captain in his second stint....and that too against tough teams like Aus and SA... I believe (this is jsut my belief)...he would have been India's captain till today had we won that Barbados test match.

Dhoni should be VC and future captain. He is level headed & has shown that he has the ability to mix caution & aggression in his approach. He is also the only permanent fixture in both forms of the game. Yes, tests also. Dhoni must however improve his communication with his mates (he hasnt been too vocal behind the stumps). If Dhoni doesnt materialize Dravid continues to be skips, until we find someone else. Yuvraj is not a leader. He does not have the discipline to be a leader. He gets into fights with his team mates far too often & is inconsistent with his bat. He hasnt shown too much cricket acumen in general. He is a raw talent, which is bext expressed when unburdended. I'd leave him alone.
Good choice bumper. Dhoni, forgetting his 3 match debacle, has shown maturity on the field many a time. He is quite level headed as you said and is one of the few who can actually inspire a side with his performances, just what a captain is expected to do.

^^ I don't think he admitted captaincy affected his batting. He cited non performance of others and match fixing team mates.
Captaincy was surely impacting his batting, at that time. I dont have the exact quotes, but he said something to the effect of "I want to focus on my batting".

^^ I don't think he admitted captaincy affected his batting. He cited non performance of others and match fixing team mates.
Captaincy was surely impacting his batting, at that time. I dont have the exact quotes, but he said something to the effect of "I want to focus on my batting".
No, it wasn't. He batted superbly on the '99 tour of Australia and averaged over 50 with the bat while he was captain. He never let the pressure of captaincy affect his form with the bat. His problem was that he took the role of captain far too seriously. He admitted that he would dwell on a poor decision for weeks and spend sleepless nights thinking about what he did wrong. Certain results would haunt him, and this was seriously screwing with his mind. The '99 tour of Australia was as bad as it could get - apart from the team's sh*tty performance (while he was scoring runs for fun), he had to put up with the Aussies' crap and sh*tty umpiring decisions. It really took a lot of out of him and he couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't deal with the external pressures of captaincy (ie; team selection, etc.) and expected far too much from his average team-mates since he himself was a perfectionist. A great cricketing brain he may have had, but he was an awful, awful captain - he failed TWICE, so what more evidence do you need. Never again.

No, it wasn't. He batted superbly on the '99 tour of Australia and averaged over 50 with the bat while he was captain. He never let the pressure of captaincy affect his form with the bat. His problem was that he took the role of captain far too seriously. He admitted that he would dwell on a poor decision for weeks and spend sleepless nights thinking about what he did wrong. Certain results would haunt him, and this was seriously ***** with his mind. The '99 tour of Australia was as bad as it could get - apart from the team's sh*tty performance (while he was scoring runs for fun), he had to put up with the Aussies' ***** and sh*tty umpiring decisions. It really took a lot of out of him and he couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't deal with the external pressures of captaincy (ie; team selection, etc.) and expected far too much from his average team-mates since he himself was a perfectionist. A great cricketing brain he may have had, but he was an awful, awful captain - he failed TWICE, so what more evidence do you need. Never again.
He was really good back then. Am sure he'd have been far better with the bat, if not for his captaincy. The bottomline is captaincy was screwing his mind. And i remember there was lot of talk in the media about Sachin, our premier bat must not be risked at the expense of captaincy. Besides, we all know how SRT reacts under pressure, dont we ? Its the last thing he would want as a struggling batsman at this time.

I'd like Sachin' date=' Ganguly and Bhajji to be dropped from the ODI series in BD and England.[/quote'] Ganguly has had only 2 failures since his return and has hit 7 50's from 9 matches and is in awesome form. To drop him you'd just be an Idiot.

I'd like Sachin' date=' Ganguly and Bhajji to be dropped from the ODI series in BD and England.[/quote'] Ganguly has had only 2 failures since his return and has hit 7 50's from 9 matches and is in awesome form. To drop him you'd just be an Idiot.
I'd hang onto all three of them in ODI's; they are still capable of doing well in that form of the game. In tests of course; i'd immediately discard Tendulkar and Harbhajan because it's been too long since they produced anything substantial.

Re: Three cheers for skipper Dravid! Dravid stays composed, thanks GC TIMES NEWS NETWORK / Swati Deshpande MUMBAI, April 6: He came, he deliberated, he left. Captain Rahul Dravid was his usual composed and business self before, during and after the crucial BCCI review meeting. He presented his point of view on India's World Cup debacle before the Board officials and accepted full responsibility for it. He didn't stop to talk to the media but simply rushed to the airport to catch a flight back to Bangalore. Once inside the aircraft, in the comforts of the business class of a private airline, he attacked his phone and would not stop talking until the airhostess pointed out to him that the flight was set to take off. He told a co-passenger that this 'entire thing' (the defeat, the resultant hype and anger) was a media exaggerated thing. However, he was keen to find out all that is being written in the newspapers about the team and the game. Oh by the way, one call was made to GC too. He exchanged a few thoughts and questions and thanked him for all his support before hanging up. Clearly, the partnership is over even though Chappell might still play a role in Indian cricket and Dravid might still stay as captain. The air-hostess came and explained that there were no morning papers as this was an afternoon flight. She however managed to find a couple, when he became insistent. He spent the entire duration of the flight reading them.