Don't Go Overboard

You are being light on Dhoni here - Dhoni was not being defensive he was being ultra foolish. And that's really surprising coming from someone like Dhoni who has been a pretty inspiring and impressive captain on most occasions. And no, it's not a question of whether we will ever feel that sort of pressure in our lives - we probably won't - it's more a question of bringing your best arsenal to the front as early as you can to put the opponent on the back foot, specifically in a match which lasts 3 hours. I would not have any qualms with Dhoni if he had sent Yuvraj at number 4 and he would have failed - failure and success are not only in sports but in every aspect of life. But it makes zero cricketing sense to hold back your best batsman in a T20 when even in a 50 over match it has been well established that you need to give the maximum number overs to your best batsman. Again to reiterate from my previous paragraph, we did not play with fear - we played foolishly. I have no qualms with a team playing with fear for that can actually bring out some of the best performances, it's a brainless display that I have a problem with. IPL has not contributed much cricket wise, but has contributed a lot by having many of our players the opportunity to play under scenarios of stress and pressure and that is something which this team can build upon. We will have a group of 20 individuals ready in 5 years who would have the experience of many an international matches without actually playing in one. I agree about Raina after seeing his performance this WC - I am a huge fan of Raina. He needs to seriously work on his backfoot play and short pitch bowling combating. Rohit is actually a pretty good backfoot player - you might castigate me on the evidence that he put up in the last two matches but my reading of him is of a batsman who can play all the strokes everywhere - what he lacks id a judgment of length which is not as hard to come by as teaching someone to play the hook or pull. The guy is a supreme talent IMO - he has a lot of time to play his strokes, has all shots in the book, all he needs is some pressure free experience to express himself which unfortunately is not being provided in our cramped schedule.
Top post! :hatsoff:
You are being light on Dhoni here - Dhoni was not being defensive he was being ultra foolish. And that's really surprising coming from someone like Dhoni who has been a pretty inspiring and impressive captain on most occasions. And no, it's not a question of whether we will ever feel that sort of pressure in our lives - we probably won't - it's more a question of bringing your best arsenal to the front as early as you can to put the opponent on the back foot, specifically in a match which lasts 3 hours. I would not have any qualms with Dhoni if he had sent Yuvraj at number 4 and he would have failed - failure and success are not only in sports but in every aspect of life. But it makes zero cricketing sense to hold back your best batsman in a T20 when even in a 50 over match it has been well established that you need to give the maximum number overs to your best batsman. Again to reiterate from my previous paragraph, we did not play with fear - we played foolishly. I have no qualms with a team playing with fear for that can actually bring out some of the best performances, it's a brainless display that I have a problem with. IPL has not contributed much cricket wise, but has contributed a lot by having many of our players the opportunity to play under scenarios of stress and pressure and that is something which this team can build upon. We will have a group of 20 individuals ready in 5 years who would have the experience of many an international matches without actually playing in one. I agree about Raina after seeing his performance this WC - I am a huge fan of Raina. He needs to seriously work on his backfoot play and short pitch bowling combating. Rohit is actually a pretty good backfoot player - you might castigate me on the evidence that he put up in the last two matches but my reading of him is of a batsman who can play all the strokes everywhere - what he lacks id a judgment of length which is not as hard to come by as teaching someone to play the hook or pull. The guy is a supreme talent IMO - he has a lot of time to play his strokes, has all shots in the book, all he needs is some pressure free experience to express himself which unfortunately is not being provided in our cramped schedule.
:top:

IIRC Dhoni has this philosophy, those who are in form, they take the responsibility and bat up in the order. He did that with Rohit Sharma in Tri Series Australia, Rohit was sent up a t 4. He did that with Raina in Asia Cup. Raina was in full flow When against England ODI series, he sent Yuvi at 3 and we all know what happened. He should have sent Yuvi at 3, not at 4 or 5. AT 3

Yes, Dhoni was defensive and cost us that game. He also cost us a Test match victory at Wellington. But that's what carrying the expectations of a billion people does to you. None of you will ever know because you will never come close to anything like it. There will be reams and reams of analysis, lots of emotion, recriminations. I hope three hard truths come out because that's all India will take home with her. 1. You can't fear defeat in sport. Play to win under all circumstances, don't succumb to a risk free approach, and if you have enough good players, you will win. It's tough for Dhoni right now, but he is a big boy. I am sure he'll learn. 2. IPL has not contributed anything to Indian cricket. It has hidden stark blemishes, led to injuries and deskilled the world champions in the very form of the game that it showcases. I hope BCCI think long and hard about eviscerating the golden goose. 3. Rohit & Raina are not ready for international cricket. I had my reservations about these two, and the last two matches have brought home the bitter truth. If you can't play the short ball, you are toast. And that's in any form of cricket. Get back to the basics and sort your flaws out.
I do not agree with your 3 point,In T20 We have struggled in new zealand,srilanka,australia The fact is in t20 the batsman have to play their shots even if it is not their strengths For example raina cannot leave the ball as the pressure will increase,Rohit is a good puller but he just played far too early it will not suprise me if he hammers southafrica,There is nothing wrong with the team you will see them giving a hammering to westindies in the odi series.