Football Transfers, Rumours and Speculations

Shane

Manchester United close to signing keeper - David Gill

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has said the club are close to signing a new keeper to replace the retiring Edwin van der Sar. The 40-year-old Dutchman moved to Old Trafford from Fulham in 2005. Ajax's Maarten Stekelenburg, Atletico Madrid's David de Gea and Schalke's Manuel Neuer have all been linked. "We know the keeper we want and are in a good position and I'm sure we can get the deal done," Gill told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme. Former Netherlands international Van der Sar has made 262 appearances for the Red Devils and helped them win four Premier League titles and the 2008 Champions League, producing the decisive save from Nicolas Anelka in the penalty shootout to triumph in the final. He also won a hat-trick of back-to-back Premier League crowns with the club between 2007 and 2009, the 2006 Carling Cup and the 2008 Fifa Club World Cup. During the 2009-10 season, he set a new Premier League record by going 1,311 minutes without conceding a goal. He has twice been named Europe's best goalkeeper by Uefa, has made the Premier League team of the year on two occasions and was named in the team of the tournament for Euro 2008. "We've made the decision of who we want, we've been associated with all the top goalkeepers in Europe over the past six months, but we've known who we wanted for many months and we aim to achieve that," added Gill. It looks as if United will miss out on Neuer after Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness announced on Sunday that an agreement has been reached for the signing of the German international. Neuer will reportedly move to the Allianz Arena for a fee of £13m. Gill also stated that there would be further signings at United in the close season as they look to strengthen the squad. "We've got some major decision to make over the summer," admitted Gill. "We've go to replace Edwin, Gary Neville has also retired, we don't know what Paul Scholes is going to do. He may well want to retire at the end of the season - though we are very much prepared and happy to offer him a further year. "So without doubt there is going to be some activity in some key areas of the club and we have been preparing for that. "It is not like we are going to start now - we've been preparing for that for the past 12 months and we will see what we can achieve in the summer." Gill paid tribute to Scholes' contribution to the club and expects the midfielder to discuss his future with manager Sir Alex Ferguson in the coming weeks. "It wouldn't surprise us if Paul retired," said Gill. "We are enjoying the success we are having, so at the end of the season, he will have a conversation with Sir Alex about that. "I am sure he will let us know his decision and we will respect it. "He has been a brilliant player for many years. It is interesting that while Ryan [Giggs] got his 12th title yesterday, that was Paul's 10th. "It shows what he has achieved for us and what an absolutely fantastic player he has been." As well as Van der Sar, Neville and possibly Scholes, long-serving defender Wes Brown seems likely to leave, as does striker Michael Owen, whose two-year deal expires this summer. Midfielder Owen Hargreaves is another who appeared destined for the Old Trafford exit door, although it is thought he is considering a one-year pay-as-you-play deal to remain with United. But striker Danny Welbeck and midfielder Tom Cleverley are both expected to return from impressive loan spells at Sunderland and Wigan respectively.
BBC Sport Good news. Looks like its going to be one of Stekelenburg or De Gea to replace Van Der Sar. I'm really excited about Welbeck and Cleverly coming back as both have shown good potential. Also expecting at least one big singing to strengthen the midfield.

Sneijder or Modric would be perfect for Utd. You have also been linked with Sanchez who is a very gifted player, but I'm not sure you need him to be honest with Valencia and Nani on the wings, but hey, he would make you guys even more formidable. De Gea would be the best signing as GK I feel. Expecting a busy summer for Liverpool... a lot of work to do..

^ United should buy Steven Defour (sp?) of Standard Liege. Exciting young creative midfielder, and cheaper, though less proven obv.. Also need a out and out tackling midfielder in the Hargreaves mould...

^ United should buy Steven Defour (sp?) of Standard Liege. Exciting young creative midfielder' date=' and cheaper, though less proven obv.. Also need a out and out tackling midfielder in the Hargreaves mould...[/quote'] I never understood where the hype for Defour comes frrom . He is on the verge of a move to a big club for three years yet no one has come for him . Whenever i watch him in Europe he hardly impressed . I would expect United to sign a GK , CM and bring back Welback . They also have to make space for the likes of Rafael and Fabio as they are now above 21 . I dont think they will sign a winger with the likes of Nani Valencia Park Giggs and even Oberton

United have £16m bid for No.1 keeper target accepted Manchester United believe they have secured their first signing of the summer. Spain Under-21 goalkeeper David De Gea has confirmed he will leave Atletico Madrid at the end of the season, and now his club have accepted, in principle, a United offer of around £16million. Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson revealed this week he wants three high-profile new faces to cover the departure of some of his most experienced players, with Gary Neville and Edwin Van der Sar retiring, and Paul Scholes possibly following suit. A keeper is top of his list, and positive contact has already been made with representatives of De Gea, who is only 20 but is already regarded as one of the best at his position in Europe. Contrary to suggestions in Spain, no deal has yet been signed. But the new Premier League champions are supremely confident they have their man after being given permission to talk to the player. Chief executive David Gill said: "We know the keeper we want and are in a good position, and I'm sure we can get the deal done." But the De Gea deal is clearly just the start of a big-money summer for United, who are prepared to spend big to ensure they replace important players with quality performers proven at the highest level. While De Gea is still a youngster, he has already won his spurs at the top level, helping Atletico win the Europa League last season and the UEFA Super Cup back in August and playing in the Champions League. Mirror Football

Arsenal have apparantly signed Ricky Alvarez from Velez in Argentina. Also I am hearing from a few people who are in the know at the club that my namesake will unfortunatly be leaving us this summer and has already said his goodbyes to staff at the training ground. :cry_smile:

This is what I would like to see at Arsenal. Yeah I know, keep dreaming. OUT - Eboue, Clichy, Squillaci, Denilson, Diaby, Almunia, Bendtner, Vela, Rosicky IN - Samba, Bastos, Cahill, De Rossi, Sneijder, Benzema, Jovetic, Mata

I'm sure you guys got the money to spend though..
Money is there but the Glazers haven't made much of it available for transfers in the recent past so ManUtd have had to be content with the likes of Bebe and Smalling etc (although Smalling turned out to be quite good :D) so even though there have been problems in the midfield for quite some time now, not much has been done in the way of good acquisitions who can plug those gaps in the midfield.

Money is there but the Glazers haven't made much of it available for transfers in the recent past so ManUtd have had to be content with the likes of Bebe and Smalling etc (although Smalling turned out to be quite good :D) so even though there have been problems in the midfield for quite some time now' date=' not much has been done in the way of good acquisitions who can plug those gaps in the midfield.[/quote'] Yeah Ferguson is very astute with his signings, but I think this will be the summer where he will splash the cash. He has already said he is looking for 3 signings of top class, he's already got 1 so I'm guessing he will next go for a CM to replace Scholes and someone for Giggs as well. My tip? Ashley Young/Sanchez and Modric/Sneijder

How can Fergie announce the signing of de gea though, when the window for signing player of other FA's is opening on June 1st?? Anyways Young may well go to man utd. He has a choice of liverpool, united and spurs. I personally wouldn't want him at anfield. He is not that consistent and goes missing when the going gets tough. I do believe that one of those 3 signings that fergie mentioned will most definetly include a CM. I have a feeling they might bid for pastore.... On to liverpool and we are being feverishly linked with mata recently. Would be an amazing signing. Also reports were there that Commolli fancies mousa sissoko as a long term replacement for stevie. Two wingers are a must for us, and a third striker who would be prepared to sit on the bench. I am praying for mata, a right winger and munain but I have full trust in kenny and his decisions.