Football Transfers, Rumours and Speculations

Shane

Fabio Coentrao has joined Real Madrid. So far this summer they've bought Raphael Varane' date=' Hamit Altintop, Nuri Sahin and now Coentrao. Impressive.[/quote'] Coentrao has looked superb every time i have watched him play. I think he is an excellent signing and will probably become the best left back in the world within 2-3 years. Altintop is a bit of a strange one given his age and the fact that he did not always start for Bayern but every Turkish football fan i have met raves about him. A German work colleague thinks Sahin is going to be superb so he seems a very good signing. Real have also signed Jose Callejon from Espanyol, i have seen him 7 or 8 times and he looks very good but i don't think he will get in the 1st team.

I can't stand the stupid idot' date=' he is a cancer spreading through the club, and most of the fans I know feel the same way.[/quote'] To be fair i would have agreed with you a couple of years ago. But in the last 2 seasons he has cut down on the diving and cheating and is a decent back up right back. Having said that if we got anything upwards of £5m for him i wouldn't mind selling him.

^ I dont think he was happy to stay, cant blame him too he would want first team football and is good enough to get a starting gspot in any mid table side at least. Yes I do think Utd will miss him too, can play in about 6 different positions and do a job, great squad player. Mean while Downing moves to Liverpool joining Adams, Henderson etc. Pool shaping up quite well... a front 6 of Gerrard-Meirelies Downing-Adams- Suarez Carrol On paper looks great. Gerrard can work as a deep lying playmaker, he is ageing a bit and his roving role might take a toll on hos body, has the passing range and footballing brain to be a Pirlo-esque type player. Meirles doing the dirty work along side him...Adams to send the front three through, Downing whipping out cross for Carrol to feed off from wide and Suraez running at defenders..... Whats more whereas in the poast the bench has been a bit underwhelming now they can bring on Henderson and Kuyt and some really good youth players coming through. Probably need a quality LB. Otherwise they look solid.

Not sure about these Liverpool signings. People seemingly treating them on the proviso that there is a bottomless pit of money. They will have a better team yes, but it seems like their owners are giving Commolli and Dalglish free rein to splash their money without understanding the true value of these players or the project they've got themselves in to. What are the expectations? Do they have a plan for if these are not met? How much more funding are they prepared to give? In my opinion their last truly astute purchase was Suarez for £22m. What has happened since is very kamikaze. It's a strange world where Henderson and Downing signed for £40m represents some sort of masterstroke..

^ Yeah. English players are pretty ridiculously overpriced though. Youve pointed it there, Suarez a guy who starred in a WC and who scored 30+ goals in the Dutch League is 22 Mill... Downing...about the same amt. Phil Jones a 19 yr old from a mid table club is 19 mill-ish...its crazy.