Football Transfers, Rumours and Speculations

Shane

English players are always overpriced, thats why so many Premier League clubs opt to sign foreign players who provide as much or more quality for more reasonable prices. Liverpool's transfers in the last 6-7 months show just how overpriced English players are. Suarez was a brilliant signing and i think he will be worth every penny. Andy Carroll £35 m - I think Andy Carroll will be an excellent player for them and will definitely get goals in the prem but his price tag is way too much, especially for someone who is hot headed and liable to get into trouble off the pitch. Charlie Adam - Did he cost £9-10m. He was superb last season so will have to see how he does. I wonder how much he would have cost if his contract was not expiring next season. Stewart Downing - £20m - I really rate Downing, think he is underrated but he is £5m too expensive. Jordan Henderson - £22m (with add-ons) - Arguably the worst transfer in the history of the game, i will be stunned if he turns out to be worth it. As a result of these signings, Liverpool seem to have too many midfielders. I reckon their physio must have serious doubts over the long term fitness of Gerrard. I think Gerrard is on his way down tbh. He has slowed down quite a bit and is not as explosive as he was, i don't think he will reach the levels of 3-4 years ago.

It is a very big squad with loads of midfielders now. Probably next season: Lucas----Gerrard Kuyt----Suarez----Downing Carroll This is leaving aside in midfield Joe Cole, Poulsen, Meireles, Henderson, Adam, Maxi, Spearing and Shelvey :woot: Expecting the bolded ones to go (alot of rumours about Meireles, no smoke without fire..) and Joe Cole too if he can find a club. Henderson is clearly seen as the long term Gerrard replacement, however that tag doesn't seem necessary, liverpool played some of their best football last season without Gerrard. Now seems the time to phase the guy out, IMO.

^ Yeah. Hence he should be deployed in a deep lying play-maker role. Where he just has to use his passing range but not run around so much.
I'm not totally convinced he could convert himself into a Pirlo style midfielder. He does have good mid-long range passing ability but he is not near the level of Pirlo, Xavi and Xabi Alonso. It would probably be a good idea to try him in that role though.

It is a very big squad with loads of midfielders now. Probably next season: Lucas----Gerrard Kuyt----Suarez----Downing Carroll This is leaving aside in midfield Joe Cole, Poulsen, Meireles, Henderson, Adam, Maxi, Spearing and Shelvey :woot: Expecting the bolded ones to go (alot of rumours about Meireles, no smoke without fire..) and Joe Cole too if he can find a club. Henderson is clearly seen as the long term Gerrard replacement, however that tag doesn't seem necessary, liverpool played some of their best football last season without Gerrard. Now seems the time to phase the guy out, IMO.
I'm a fan of Meireles. He should have no problem finding a good club. Joe Cole is finished at the top level as far as i am concerned. For all his talent he has never found a settled position in his entire career.

Adam was a pretty cheap signing if you ask me, signed for 6.75 mil. He's not English though is he... Henderson's transfer I really don't understand.. Downing will definately improve the squad though.. We have so many CM's, it's pretty scary.. RM is key, I don't think he will be leaving. I'm also tipping Aqua to have a big season.. But the thing is we aren't in Europe this season... so how are all these guys going to play? Strange one..

Aquilani? Is he even there. I know Juve wanted him but could not afford, think he might be off on loan again elsewhere. 16 Mill , he is a good investment for a top Serie A club. I do not think the pace of the EPL suits his game. RM they need to hold on to, was a good player for them last year, in fact he should start with Gerrard IMO, Adams playing further forward behind the striker

I think Downing played much of last season on the right wing. He is pretty versatile and i think will be a very good signing. I wouldn't have minded Arsenal signing him but £20m is about £5m too much IMO. Aquilani is still there but i think they are struggling to get rid.

Aquilani? Is he even there. I know Juve wanted him but could not afford, think he might be off on loan again elsewhere. 16 Mill , he is a good investment for a top Serie A club. I do not think the pace of the EPL suits his game. RM they need to hold on to, was a good player for them last year, in fact he should start with Gerrard IMO, Adams playing further forward behind the striker
There is no way Aqua is going on loan again, that would hold no benefit to us at all. By all accounts he was MOTM in our recent friendly match and was good in the first one as well. I'm pretty sure he will stay with us this season.

Downing is also a crazy signing at £20 million. Daglish is losing it with his obsession with british players and his willingness to pay millions over the top for them. I mean Carroll was £10 million too much as well. When you see the bonkers prices for these nobody players I think Modric on like for like basis is worth £50 million:--D

Downing is also a crazy signing at £20 million. Daglish is losing it with his obsession with british players and his willingness to pay millions over the top for them. I mean Carroll was £10 million too much as well. When you see the bonkers prices for these nobody players I think Modric on like for like basis is worth £50 million:--D
And Cesc = £70m at this rate, but the kanjoos Barca fxckers are not even willing to pay £40m! :angry_smile:

Cescy boy's eventual sale value is going to be quite depressing when we look at the frauds who go for similar. World's best midfielder outside Barcelona going for the same as a Geordie ponytail. Not much we can do though.. Modric will probably go for ~£30m give or take £1-2m. In a normal world that's really quite close to being about right...but everything is distorted. I've not seen much talk about Gervinho. Seen him in a couple of intl tournaments and have been impressed. Apparently unpredictable, but looks a great capture anyway.

Spanish sources have said that Arsenal have a good chance of signing Mata. I haven't seen that much of him but some of my friends watch a lot of Spanish football and think he would be an excellent signing. We could definitely do with him, Arshavin seems to have gone off the boil and Walcott is so injury prone.

Mata and Jagielka in this week for Arsenal apparantly' date= and they have told Barca to cough up £40m by sunday for Fabregas or they will call off the talks.
Would not be a good signing IMO. Our centre back partnership would be too short with an average height of 5'11.5"

40mil for Fabregas is not enough. He's easily a 60mil man in todays market.
Unfortunately Barca will never pay that much. I think £45 is the minimum we should accept. Fabregas needs to realise that if he wants to leave then Barca have to cough up. On a brighter note, Gervinho looks good in pre-season. If we can sign Mata, Gary Cahill (best of the bunch we have been linked with) and a decent box to box midfielder if Fabregas leaves then i will be happy. We need to sell Squilacci, he is a pile of ****. To be honest we could also do with a left back (wouldn't mind Enrique from Newcastle given the lack of quality LB's around and the fact that Gibbs is made of glass).