Chappell interview

novpj

Link to an interview with Greg Chappell and what he thinks about various players in the team http://worldcup.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1868059.cms Its a shame that the seniors conspired to run him out - this guy obviously understands the game and brings a degree of professionalism that Indian cricket needed. He was not afraid of making hard decisions. All the BS about man management skills are excuses to justify selfish acts of senior payers like SRT and Ganguly. Chappell figured out that their game had deteriorated and in the interview he indicates that these payers were not challenging themselves to get better and hence he recommended changes. Indian cricket will not improve till people blindly support players based on region, country, color etc. Limit the discussions to cricketing facts and I believe Chappell was more rigth than wrong.

Re: Chappell interview If you want to be like Australia, you can't run your cricket like Zimbabwe: Chappell TIMES NEWS NETWORK / Sumit Mukherjee PrintCommentMail Check out Guru Greg's Team India How would you sum up your 22-month tryst with Team India? It has been a huge learning experience for me. As a coach, it was easily one of the most challenging assignments one could ever hope to have. I have had only two 11-day breaks and a slightly longer one during this period, apart from one or two minor ones. But I have loved every moment of it, planning, strategising, analysing etc before every tour or series. It's a big high for a coach to watch the players pick up the cues and apply them successfully in match situations. How did they react to your views and ideas in general? Individuals react differently to different ideas. In some cases, the reaction time is longer whereas some others pick up the ball (cues) quickly and run with it. I have enjoyed challenging them to get better and better all the time. Is this a better Indian team that you are leaving behind than the one you inherited? Team building is a never-ending process. You have to keep at it all the time. We are a much better side than what our results have shown in recent times. Some of the junior players are not finished products yet. It's important that their development continues so that they are ready to take on bigger challenges. But they may be lost forever in a divided Team India? I came here to do a job that I have done to the best of my ability. I do not have any vested interests in Indian cricket. I have briefed the BCCI about the issues facing Indian cricket. One of them is youth development. It's up to the BCCI to act in the best interests of the game in the country. What went wrong with the seniors? I don't want to get into senior-junior issue again. Look, as a player, you have to keep challenging yourself. When that stops, it's time to do a quick reality check and take a few hard decisions. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite happen that way in many countries. So, in Australia we now have a system in place which will reject you the moment you slip below the mark. Would you put it down to bad attitude? Bad attitude is like bad habit, hard to get rid of. Greg Blewett started off with two successive Test centuries, Matthew Eliott had more talent than Matthew Hayden or Justin Langer and Stuart MacGill should have played more often for Australia. If they didn't it's because they failed to fit into the team fabric. They were rejected by the system. Do you advocate such a system for Indian cricket? You don't have to replicate the Australian system, but it is absolutely important to have a model in place that is similar to the one they have Down Under. It will entail making sweeping changes to the existing system and changing mindsets. Isn't that a tall order...? If you want to be like Australia, you can't run your cricket like Zimbabwe. The BCCI must adopt, may be, a 10-year plan, spelling out the aims and objectives and go about attaining those goals in a professional manner. Any half-measures or cosmetic changes at this stage would be like putting band-aid on cancer. Have you spelt out your vision for Indian cricket to the BCCI? I have given them the picture, highlighting the areas of concern. The BCCI must realise that a strong Indian team is a must for the games overall good. If India drops the ball now, it will be a tragedy for world cricket. Changes would certainly mean a new look at our selection process? It should be right there at the top of the agenda as it's critical to the team's performance. I still maintain that if we had Sreesanth in Pakistan (instead of three left-arm pacers), we would not have lost the Test series there. They must have, may be, four full-time selectors with an excellent background in the game and they should be paid to do the job. Along with the coach, they should be made accountable. The coach and the captain must also have a larger say in selection matters. OK, so you didn't quite get the team you wanted for the World Cup. But can you say with any certainty that India would have fared better if you had the players of your choice? I think we should have done much better in the West Indies with the squad we had. We batted poorly against Bangladesh, but we should have still squeezed out a win. You may point to the 1983 World Cup final, but history says India's record in defending low totals has been quite poor. We could have done with a few young legs, but I believe that we still had the ammunition to at least reach the semis.

Re: Chappell interview :rant: Chappell is not without flaws himself, and there lies his failure and the teams failure. As a coach you are expected to bring out the best from people who may not always fit into your vision. You are expected to make the most from resources you have in hand and not what you wish you had. Take John Wright for example, he did great things with a difficult person like Ganguly at the helm. Chappell was not flexible enough to give away his vision and try working around the issues. Yes it may not be the ideal scenario but isn't that's how life is? someone like Chappel should have known better and atleast tried to be flexibl. Who knows things could have turned out better. :rant:

Re: Chappell interview

The more i read the interivew ' date=' the more i am getting convinced the fault lies with seniors' mindset.[/quote'] I was thinking the same from the start but now I feel even more convinced that the fault lies with our own people. Lack of "Indian culture" sensitivity can't be used as an excuse for lazy @ss seniors mindset. Send the fat b@stard Motu to do some manual work on a building site. Cry baby Indian players need to shape up or get stuffed. This is how common everyday Indian ladies work :Cry: Our pro athletes who get paid $$$$ can't even control their f@king diet for the duration of their playing career? _41287202_indiarural6_203crafp.jpg

Re: Chappell interview

We could have done with a few young legs, but I believe that we still had the ammunition to at least reach the semis.
So despite not getting the team that he wanted, he still thought that they could reach the semis? Wow!! Isn't that interesting?
not a bad interview...good read.. i may not agree with what he says, but good questions.
Which idea you don't agree with, holysmoke?

Re: Chappell interview He said that BEFORE the World Cup...DUH! Anyway, now it seems the entire Mafia Seniors episode was orchastrated by him to smoke out the responses from the Seniors... I don't think he expected the response to come so blunt and hard from Sachin....

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Chappell interview noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo notttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn