Indian team for the West Indies tour announced.

Guest gaurav_indian

All I am saying is give Vijay a chance to fail before you decide that. There is not harm in trying him out in a totally inconsequential series like this.
Virat performed really well in SL but still he cannot find a place in this side. It brings up the question, on what basis do they really select?Certainly if they had gone with performace then I can't see a reason why Vijay is there instead of Kohli.
How will you know whether Vijay can do the job or not unless you give him an opportunity in a series like this? I don't understand how exactly you will discover new talent or build a new team without taking the risk of trying out new players. Virat Kohli and Murali Vijay have played exactly 25 List A games, scored exactly a little over 1000 runs. Virat averages better at 49,5 compared to Murali's 44,2. I don't see the problem here in trying Vijay out. And Virat played 5 ODIs and scored 159 runs at a SR of 66, perhaps Murali can do the same. It all comes down to opportunities.
How do you know I won't do a good job unless I am given an opportunity in a series like this? How is it fair on Kohli to not be selected after his superb performance in the domestic season and having done well in the ODIs, which mind you were against SL in SL with Murali and Mendis after our test team had got flattened. You have to look beyond numbers. Anyhow, if you think Vijay's selection over Kohli is justified good for you. As far as I am concerned it is a selection driven by regional bias, given that a clearly more deserving candidate has been left out for him.
Guest Gunner
Virat performed really well in SL but still he cannot find a place in this side. It brings up the question' date=' on what basis do they really select?Certainly if they had gone with performace then I can't see a reason why Vijay is there instead of Kohli.[/quote'] If your question is why Virat was not selected, then I am with you on that. If your question is why Vijay instead of Virat I still don't see the point. Why not select both and rest another player to see how the lads use the opportunity?

only 2 dependable guys on that batting lineup are gautam and yuvi.i hope rohit gets "IT" soon.i feel the only part of his game which is still immature is the mental one.he gets frustrated easily if he is not scoring.he needs to spend a lot of time in the crease and work this out.i think we will see his first odi hundred on this tour.

Guest Gunner
How do you know I won't do a good job unless I am given an opportunity in a series like this? How is it fair on Kohli to not be selected after his superb performance in the domestic season and having done well in the ODIs, which mind you were against SL in SL with Murali and Mendis after our test team had got flattened. You have to look beyond numbers. Anyhow, if you think Vijay's selection over Kohli is justified good for you. As far as I am concerned it is a selection driven by regional bias, given that a clearly more deserving candidate has been left out for him.
This is not a seat on a bus where one person got on instead of another. The question to be asked in why were not both selected and given a chance? I have never said in any post that Virat should not be selected, I merely pointed out that Vijay should be given an opportunity. Where have I said that Viya's selection over Virat is justified? I am only saying that there is nothing wrong in selecting vijay on an individual basis. Again not a shred of evidence other than innuendoes with regard to the regional bias.
Guest gaurav_indian
This is not a seat on a bus where one person got on instead of another. The question to be asked in why were not both selected and given a chance? I have never said in any post that Virat should not be selected, I merely pointed out that Vijay should be given an opportunity. Where have I said that Viya's selection over Virat is justified? I am only saying that there is nothing wrong in selecting vijay on an individual basis.
:wall: :wall: What if there was only 1 place?Whom would you select?
Guest Gunner
:wall: :wall: What if there was only 1 place?Whom would you select?
TBH, I would have reste Gambhir for an absolutely inconsequential tour like this and given both the guys a fair chance to show their game.

And if they would open with Rohit and Gambhir, the selection of Vijay would baffle me no end, Virat is a good in the middle overs, rotating strike and he is fantastc against spin, we have seen it in SL and have echoed my thoughts a million times during the IPL. I have nothing against Vijay, but i definately think Kohli deserved a fair chance after being neglected Post-SL ODI series.

Guest gaurav_indian
TBH' date=' I would have reste Gambhir for an [b']absolutely inconsequential tour like this and given both the guys a fair chance to show their game.
Every tour is important especially after what happened in T20 WC.Indian team shouldn't take it easily.These are 4 ODI's against a good team.Its not zimbabwe.
This is not a seat on a bus where one person got on instead of another. The question to be asked in why were not both selected and given a chance? I have never said in any post that Virat should not be selected, I merely pointed out that Vijay should be given an opportunity. Where have I said that Viya's selection over Virat is justified? I am only saying that there is nothing wrong in selecting vijay on an individual basis. Again not a shred of evidence other than innuendoes with regard to the regional bias.
If you talk about opportunities then there are number of players from the IPL who deserve an opportunity.for example:Rahane,Kohli,etc.Why only vijay was given an opportunity?
This is exactly a seat on a bus - there are X number of spots which need to be filled up. And it's not a question that you would have liked both to be selected - even I would have picked both and rested some main player. But that's clearly not what happened. Vijay and Kohli clearly competed for one spot and Kohli lost out purely on the basis that he does not happen to be from the same state as the chief selector. On performance, Kohli's selection over Vijay was a no brainer.

Good that Crapthan is kept out and disco can be happily dancing in IIFAs If you are looking towards 2011 WC, why not give chance to Sudeep Tyagi or Umesh Yadav, why bring back Nehra. Virat should have been given a chance. Vijay may have been selected for the openers slot, as Sehwag is missing Raina boy could have used this series to get back into the scheme of things, but missed out unluckily and as Gary said that players are in fatigue, why arent they opting out of this inconsequential series :hmmm:, specially Dhoni

If your question is why Virat was not selected' date=' then I am with you on that. If your question is why Vijay instead of Virat I still don't see the point. Why not select both and rest another player to see how the lads use the opportunity?[/quote'] Already there are a lot of jouneymen in that squad. Anyway I dont think Vijay will make it to the starting lineup.I think this will be our XI. Gauti Rohit UV Dhoni R Jadeja/ Badri/ KDK A Nayar Y Pathan Bhajji P Kumar RP Ishant I dont think there will be many chopping and changing in the series.Given that it is a four match series, at the most you will get one dead rubber to try your reserves. So I am not sure if Vijay will get a game.
Guest gaurav_indian
damn Jabu u beat me to it!! YEAH WHY NO SREE SANTH??
Becoz there is no bollywood awards function or party in carribean at that time.:((
Guest Gunner
this is still an international series and you play to win-its not an inconsequential series.
This wonderful series is in the same league as the Chappal series played out on the dunes or arabia recently.:haha::haha:
Guest Gunner
But that's clearly not what happened. Vijay and Kohli clearly competed for one spot and Kohli lost out purely on the basis that he does not happen to be from the same state as the chief selector. On performance' date= Kohli's selection over Vijay was a no brainer.
If you see it this way then all I can say is we agree to disagree. There is absolutely nothing whatsoever to suggest the Srikkanth is biased.
Guest gaurav_indian
This wonderful series is in the same league as the Chappal series played out on the dunes or arabia recently.:haha::haha:
And that series exposed Australia's weaknesses against spin.