The best team doesn’t always win

Feed

There is a big difference between being the best team in a tournament and winning it. In any sport the best team occasionally returns empty-handed. And it is no consolation being labelled the best when you lose. Mickey Arthur comments. More... If you read the press and believe it, South Africa have already proved themselves to be the best team in the tournament. I understand why people are saying that. We have been strong with bat and ball in different conditions and have remained unbeaten. But there is a big difference between being the best team in a tournament and winning it. In any sport the best team occasionally returns empty-handed. And it is no consolation being labelled the best when you lose. We all agree that T20 cricket is the most unpredictable form of the game, that any individual can produce a heroic performance to beat a better team on a given day, but we never subscribed to the theory that 20 overs of cricket amounts to a lottery. Perhaps we have discussed and dissected T20 cricket more than other teams, perhaps our blueprint for how to play is better, for the moment, than other teams. But this form of the game is changing so rapidly that it will be outdated by next week. We have to stay ahead of the game. The semifinal against Pakistan presents an especially difficult challenge because you never quite know what you are up against. But we know the strengths and weaknesses of their players and have plans in place. As always you win games by concentrating on your own strengths and weaknesses rather than those of the opposition. I know Indian cricket fans have a tendency to overreact when the team fails but I honestly think it would be a huge mistake if this team is harshly treated for failing now. I was particularly upset to hear Ravindra Jadeja being booed by the 90% Indian crowd in Nottingham when he came out to bat against us. Sure, he struggled against England but what the hell was he doing batting at No. 4? He is 19 and has the ability and talent to become a very special cricketer. His left arm spin is much better than part-time and anyone who understands the game can see his batting potential. He should not have been thrown into a pressure situation like that. Now he needs support and backing, not criticism. I have already heard much speculation about a South Africa-Sri Lanka final but, to be quite honest, a Pakistan-West Indies final is just as possible.

Mickey Arthur already saw it coming. As for his comments about Indian cricket fans, I fully agree. We are expecting our youngsters to turn into legends in a week's time. Unless they are given enough time we will have an unsettled team. On top of that losses in Twenty20s although shouldn't be taken lightly should not target individuals and in particular youngsters. Imagine if India was in South Africa's shoes, the players would have been ripped apart. If Atherton, Tendulkar, Hayden and now Mickey Arthur are saying Indian cricket fans don't behave that very well it has to have some merit to it. I have seen sane people over react here and tear to shreds some young and up coming players based on the Twenty20 WC. It's not good I'd say, give these guys a little bit of a time please.

I agree. If our weather hadn't allowed the Windies the easy luxury target of just 80 in 9 overs we'd be in the final against the Pakistanis (which would have been an interesting crowd atmosphere, if we'd been allowed to get any tickets). Let's face it, even Mrs. Mad Dog could score 80 off 9 overs batting left handed and blindfolded (an interesting combination, I must try it sometime).