Prasad - Bowling coach

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach

Regarding his imminent coaching role, my view is that he will not significantly improve anyone of our fast bowlers. And this is based on what he did as a bowler. I would love to be proven wrong of course.
Sorry Gambit but you have to respect the work he has done outside his playing cricket. As I said before he is a Level 3 coach and also has been through high performance courses and very much deserves the bowling coach post. Whether he will succeed or not is secondary, he has the credentials and experience to be appointed as the coach. If you think bowling coaching is just to do with line and length you are mistaken. There are other areas such as injury management, bio mechanics, kinetics, mental preparation, progress assessment, man management et al that are part of the job. I would rather prefer someone that is abreast of these things than a bowling great that reckons everyone should produce similar results as himself.

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach 'Fast bowling is not an easy job '- Prasad April 7, 2007 'I would really like to talk, one-on-one with the fast bowlers and agree on a common area that we need to work upon' ? Cricinfo Ltd Venkatesh Prasad, the former India and Karnataka fast bowler, is set to be India's bowling coach for their tour to Bangladesh in May. Akhila Ranganna spoke to him and asked him about the plans and ideas he was looking to implement in his new role. Venkatesh Prasad: I've not really formulated any plan as such. As of now it's great news for me and I'm really looking forward to working with the fast bowlers. It's a great opportunity for me and also a great honour for me to be part of the Indian cricket team. As of now I'm looking forward to having a chat with the fast bowlers and figuring out the areas we can work on. It won't be right on my part to go ahead and formulate the plans - it's not about me - it's about the fast bowlers who are there in the team and a few others who are outside the team as well. Fast bowling is not an easy job - it's the hardest thing in cricket. Everything is important - be it fitness, consistency, accuracy, line and length. It changes from bowler to bowler; it depends on the conditions that one is playing in and the team that one is playing against and the players that one is bowling to. So I feel, that we've to work around all these areas. AR: Are there any specific areas that you are looking to work on with the fast bowlers? VP: I believe that it's all about the individual [and his specific needs]. So I would really like to talk, one-on-one with the fast bowlers and agree on a common area that we need to work upon. It's all about trust and confidence, whether it's the players having trust in their coach, or the coach trusting his players. So [in this regard] I feel the one-on-one sessions will be really important. AR: The BCCI has laid emphasis on the need to prepare sporting and lively pitches in the domestic circuit. How important a role do you think this will play in encouraging upcoming fast bowling talent? VP: Absolutely. I think it will play a very important role, not only in encouraging the fast bowlers but also in encouraging the bowlers as well. They will get to play under different conditions and that is what will help them raise their standards. It's not easy to play fast bowling on lively surfaces and once they are able to do that it will that much more easier when they play on pitches in South Africa and Australia. There is also talk of increasing the number of India 'A' tours and India U-19 tours which will really the help the cricketers who are coming through. AR: You've been the coach of India U-19 and have assessed the young talent that's there in the country - any bowlers you have in mind who you believe can be good prospects for the future? VP: There are a lot of young fast bowlers who are coming up. Most of the India U-19 bowlers are now playing for their respective state sides and are doing well. I think there is a lot of competition in the fast bowling department, which is really good for Indian cricket. I don't really want to get into specific names, but yes, there are a lot of names for the future.

Re: Prasad - Bowling coach

What do you guys think about this selection? I'm sure everyone agrees that we needed a bowling coach quite desperately. But this guy? After a good first year' date=' he fizzled out. He wasn't fast. His line and length stuff used to be mutilated by Sanath. His stock ball was the slower one. He's a poor choice IMO.[/quote'] Gambit, I just have one question for you: Do you know Troy Cooley, the bowling of England from April 2003 to April 2006? He changed the bowling of England dramatically. What are his playing credentials?