7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour

Some like me have adjusted their opinions on him, but others, have not come to grips with the fact that he is simply not as good as what we all thought he was. Am sure no matter how many more mediocre years he has from now on, u would still rate him for what he did in the 90s, fair comment ? If thats your stand, i respect that, but i dont think its right.
When history looks at any sports person surely they will judge him on how he was at his peak...as they should... if we judged say Pete Sampras purely on his post 2000 results he would be less than great but we know how amazing he was in the 90's...Same hold true for SRT. On current form yeah he should be dropped/rested whatever...but you cant allow current form- effected by his age as would any players- to cloud what he has done for India for 15 years...very unfair... Point is -he WAS as good as we thought he was...sadly he isn't nearly as good as he was

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Okay, so can we go back to the initial topic of the thread?

7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour
Even by TOI's standard 7 is a bit too many to be dropped. On another note, do we have 7 seniors especially when we don't count Dravid in it?

So I'm not going to say that Sachin should retire citing the stats of last 15 tests. I think he has this year from me. If he fires' date=' well and good. If not, I too may join the chorus of "Sachin should retire".[/quote'] I personally have been one of his most vocal critics in recent times, but i don't think he should retire. Just dropped for about 6 months - it would be warranted. In ODI's, he still has plenty to offer and is capable of scoring on good batting pitches in the subcontinent.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Still I'd like him to leave the ODI place for a youngster. It is tests where we need to groom the youngsters smoothly. And we should have a smooth transition there in the longer format, not a mass exodus!

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour zak, sachin, bajji, sehwag, ganguly, yuvi, Aggy..... 7 seniors.... all of em useless.... maybe Yuvi should be spared..... Ganguly should be given a stern warning to play according to the team needs, now tht he looks like he got his form back.... Bajji and Aggy have got to go now....

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour IMHO, he is too good to be discussed in this fashion. He is just amazingly good player. I have not seen a senior like him opting to stay on the boudary line to save some runs. Or quick few overs with the ball. Not just the bat alone. It will be a big void when he leaves. But having said that, his recent performance suggest that he needs a break. Especially, WC performance. D R O P H I M for 3-6 mos. He has big attitude I tell you. He will come back with bang in 4-6 mos. And then suddenly when everyone starts talking that he still has good 3-4 years left in him, He will choose to retire. He has silenced his crickets by his game. Same will be his retirement plan. I wish him a very BEST :wtg: :wtg: that he gives us 1 more Best performance before he hangs his boots.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour 'Young team? rethink not on cards - Despite Bangladesh?s shock win over South Africa... LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI Calcutta: Bangladesh?s shock win over South Africa came less than 10 hours after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) announced that the national selectors had been directed to send a ?young team? to Bangladesh, but the Proteas? defeat isn?t forcing a rethink. Not now at least. ?Unless the president (Sharad Pawar) gives a directive, there can?t be any change in what has been decided upon. The only other way is for the working committee itself to withdraw its directive. However, no meeting is scheduled in the next few weeks,? BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah told The Telegraph on Sunday. He added: ?Also, what?s the guarantee that a particular team alone can win?? Bangladesh, it may be recalled, thrashed us in our World Cup opener and quickly put the Rahul Dravids on the road out of the biggest tournament. Now, they?ve knocked South Africa off the No.1 spot in ODI rankings. Shah, by the way, indicated that the BCCI would actively look at the option of asking Ravi Shastri to continue beyond Bangladesh. India?s newest coach (designated cricket manager) has a number of high-profile TV assignments coming up, though. Perhaps, only a Pawar will be able to persuade Shastri ? assuming it reaches that stage, that is. Meanwhile, it?s possible that the Bangladesh-bound players are going to be picked by April 15. ?A camp will have to be held for two reasons. First, Shastri has to meet and understand the players and, then, the players need to come together before what has become an important tour,? Shah said. The three ODIs and two Tests are to be played between May 10-29.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Shastri hints at go-young mantra for Bangla tour Ravi Shastri New Delhi: Even though he refused to call it end of all roads for the senior cricketers, Team India?s interim manager Ravi Shastri on Sunday dropped enough hints that he would carry forward Greg Chappell?s go-young policy in the forthcoming Bangladesh tour. ?You need to look at youth. There is a shelf period for everything. I believe if the young guns have to be given a chance, that has to happen on the tour of Bangladesh. I think the tour would be the right opportunity to test young talents,? Shastri said. ?There?s a heck of a lot of cricket that?s going to be played by India in the next 12 months. So if you want to give the youngsters an opportunity, then do it early, do it on this trip to Bangladesh and see what comes out of it,? the former captain told a television channel. Though the stress would be clearly on having youngsters, Shastri said he was not ruling out role of the seniors, especially in Test matches. ?When you play Tests, you?ll obviously be trying to play with your strongest side. So it?s not that the seniors are out of it totally. But I would like to see youngsters being given opportunities and see what happens.? Though he advocated experiments in the Bangladesh tour, Shastri warned against underestimating the neighbours, especially after their show in the World Cup. ?I?m not saying Bangladesh is weak. They have thrashed South Africa. They have laid India low in this World Cup, so you can never take them lightly.? Shastri said he knew his stint was brief and would try his best. ?I make no promises. I want India to play happily. I would prefer taking one step at a time. I am an optimist and like to concentrate only on the positives and not the negative sense. I am very clear in my mind that I am here only for a couple of months. Meanwhile, the Board can think of some alternatives. The support staff chosen for the tour of England would do the rest,? he said.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour From a shady source which has been spouting only rumours: BCCI plans to dump the big six of Indian cricket ? Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan, Harbhajan Singh and Ajit Agarkar ? for the upcoming tour to Bangladesh. But the big question is: Where are the replacements? Players almost certain to make the team are Bengal's Manoj Tewary and Mumbai's Ramesh Powar. Among others who stand a good chance are Mohd Kaif (UP), Rohit Sharma (Mumbai), Ranadeb Bose (Bengal), S Badrinath (Tamil Nadu), VRV Singh (Punjab) and Ishaant Sharma (Delhi). Greg Chappell's favourite, Suresh Raina, cannot be picked as he's recuperating from a knee surgery. --------------------------------------------------------- So thats what "sources close to the sources who are in turn close to BCCI officials" are saying!!!

Players almost certain to make the team are Bengal's Manoj Tewary and Mumbai's Ramesh Powar. Among others who stand a good chance are Mohd Kaif (UP), Rohit Sharma (Mumbai), Ranadeb Bose (Bengal), S Badrinath (Tamil Nadu), VRV Singh (Punjab) and Ishaant Sharma (Delhi).
zonal bias rears its ugly head again.... jus look at the candidates... every major zones has been pleased here.... ugly.... wat the hell is Bose doing out there.... he might be the highest wicket taker in ranji, but everyone who knows a lil bit of cricket knows he jus cannot fit at the highest level with his effort ball measured at 125 kph.... then why the fack is pathan being targetted... he can definitely bat better than Bose....

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Bose is just along for the ride. He wont play. VRV Singh cause of his sheer pace and Ishaant Sharma may/will play. With Sree of course as the spearhead. Spin is going to be Powar and Kumble then i guess. Do we have six bats plus dhoni or will we be going with five bowlers. And batting is gonna be ??? Gambhir / Karthik Jaffar Dravid Yuvi Raina/Manoj Tiwari Kaif/Manoj Tiwari Dhoni This looks like an intresting squad. Just the tight mix of experience. Not too much not too less.

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour KKD must and will feature regularly in the 11 both in tests and odis now.... it is a different matter, if he fails miserably.... but from the looks of it, he is grabbing everything tht comes his way....

Re: 7 seniors likely to be dropped for Bangladesh Tour Young blood policy spills bad blood within BCCI The Board of Control for Cricket in India and its selection committee are heading for a clash. The direction issued by the board to the panel headed by Dilip Vengsarkar, asking it to pick youngsters for next month?s tour of Bangladesh, has not gone down well with the selectors, who are seeing it as an infringement of their autonomy. ?How can we drop the performers?? said one selector. ?Bangladesh is no longer a minnow. After what happened to South Africa the other day, we cannot take them lightly.? The players on the BCCI?s hit list include Sourav Ganguly, Zaheer Khan, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh, and notably, Sachin Tendulkar, who is generally deemed to be out of bounds in such matters. Even after prompting them to pick youngsters, board officials are uncertain whether the selection committee will bow to their dictate. ?The ball is in the selectors? court,? a top BCCI official said. BCCI treasurer N Srinivasan told a press conference on Saturday that the working committee had advised the selectors to choose youngsters for the tour of Bangladesh. The announcement was seen a departure by the board, more so since BCCI president Sharad Pawar had often maintained that there would be no interference in selection. It is learnt that the selection committee has decided to go ahead with its preferences. ?Performance will be our yardstick,? said another selector. ?We will go our way. On what grounds can we drop Zaheer Khan and Sourav Ganguly? They have been quite consistent.? Though the BCCI official did not specify whether the matter could escalate into a showdown, he said: ?If they don?t oblige, selectors will have a lot of answering to do. After all, the working committee is the supreme body.?