Dhoni Is Not Well

Do you know the psychological effect that has on a person?
dhoni looks tired yuvraj and harbahajn were making the decisions dhoni needs rest, he looks really disorganised behind the crease not my words but the words of COLIN CROFT of SKY SPORTS
Mentally tired, yes. Looks like stress/pressure is taking a toll on Dhoni. He seems to lack the spirit when the game ended. """" ^^^^^^ All I'm saying is people have to stop blaming them being physically tired. Injuries is a different thing. Mentally tired out makes a whole lot more sense.
Mentally tired, yes. Looks like stress/pressure is taking a toll on Dhoni. He seems to lack the spirit when the game ended. """" ^^^^^^ All I'm saying is people have to stop blaming them being physically tired. Injuries is a different thing. Mentally tired out makes a whole lot more sense.
Amazing nugget of wisdom. I'm dumbfounded. Can somebody make this into a thesis?
Amazing nugget of wisdom. I'm dumbfounded. Can somebody make this into a thesis?
Ok. So you think sitting in the pavillion while your team bats for the majority of time and then standing in the field while your team bowls and only running when the bowl comes to you and when you are required to bowl for 5 minutes can be that physically exhilarating that you need a freaking 4 month break? Think that. Please do, I'm not surprised you're dumbfounded. BTW don't ever watch Golf, ever. At least you have some support here when you say they are physically tired.

In the past 24 months, Dhoni has played 20 Tests, 62 ODI, 17 T-20 internationals and 28 IPL matches. That's 207 days on the field, ignoring prematurely ended Tests. Add to that training and travelling, and you can see why he is at the end of his tether. Don't forget that he has kept in a lion's share of those matches and been captain for the most part, particularly in ODIs and T-20.

Dhoni's part is understandable. I'll agree he looks really pale and exhausted and seems to have lost energetic charisma that made him so popular in the first place. Was really surprised to see his mood after the team won, I'm pretty sure there's some ego problems within the team too now, certainly not a good sign because you need team work to win these matches. But you can't say the same for the rest of the team though. They have no excuse other than playing bad or genuine injuries (but if they had them they shouldn't have opted to play in this tour in the first place).

I swear to God I don't know why people keep saying that. This is cricket, not 90 minute soccer. If you really seems to get that psychically tired just standing around in the field for 5 hours then you shouldn't be in sports. Period. Hell, Dhoni himself said right after the T20 WC exit that people shouldn't blame the loss on "IPL tiredness" etc. A 4 month break is going to do nothing much for the team. If anything, constant schedules keep them in-form instead of doing ads and getting fat in time-offs.
I really don't know what kind of cricket you play, but I believe in international cricket, you don't "just stand in the field" for 5 hours. You are anticipating a ball to come towards you, trying to save runs, being athletic and agile in the field. You are also being roasted by some 110-115 deg. F Sun. The wicket keeper is squatting up and down 300 times in this atmosphere. In our case, he's also the captain who had batted earlier in the day for some 1 hour in this same atmosphere. If that does not equal the same amount of effort that goes into kicking a ball around for 90 minutes, I don't know what will.
I really don't know what kind of cricket you play, but I believe in international cricket, you don't "just stand in the field" for 5 hours. You are anticipating a ball to come towards you, trying to save runs, being athletic and agile in the field. You are also being roasted by some 110-115 deg. F Sun. The wicket keeper is squatting up and down 300 times in this atmosphere. In our case, he's also the captain who had batted earlier in the day for some 1 hour in this same atmosphere. If that does not equal the same amount of effort that goes into kicking a ball around for 90 minutes, I don't know what will.
So you think our Indian team could play a 90 minute soccer game? okay... (lulz)
So you think our Indian team could play a 90 minute soccer game? okay... (lulz)
Oh hai there idiot, if you're going to bring in different sports, learn to recognize that different sports require various types of skills, which ultimately means that its a different type of effort you need to put in. Do you think Ronaldo, Zidane, or Ronaldinho can stand in the hot sun for 7 hours a day, squat up and down, control the 10 players around you, and also be responsible to millions of irrational fans such as yourself? lulz.
learn to recognize that different sports require different type of efforts.
I know, but I'm not going to watch Chess and then say Viswanathan Anand lost because of physical fitness.
Do you think Ronaldinho can stand in the hot sun for 7 hours a day
I can. I'm nothing compared to Ronaldinho's athelitc skills. Also, they (cricket teams) play after 2-3 days break in tournies/tours. And they don't field for 7 hours unless its a test, which I have admitted takes a huge toll on you physically.
squat up and down
Who the **** squats on the cricket field? You're talking about the keeper right? Dude...its not the same as squatting. And certainly nothing warranting a 4 month break over physically, not if you want to call yourself a fit sportsperson.
I know, but I'm not going to watch Chess and then say Viswanathan Anand lost because of physical fitness.
Your knowledge amazes me. I'm not sure whether its amusing or not.
I can. I'm nothing compared to Ronaldinho's athelitc skills. Also, they (cricket teams) play after 2-3 days break. And they don't field for 7 hours unless its a test, which I have admitted takes a huge toll on you physically.
The game started my time 9:30 AM, and ended my time 5:30 PM. Subtract 45 minutes for Lunch. And you have? 7 hours and 15 minutes. And we did not play a test match today. IF you have no idea bout the physical stress a cricketer undergoes, its not worth having this discussion.
Who the **** squats on the cricket field? You're talking about the keeper right? Dude...its not the same as squatting.
You are right. It takes more effort than squatting.
And certainly nothing warranting a 4 month break over physically, not if you want to call yourself a fit sportsperson.
Um, you clearly lack the idea of a 'sportsperson' and I dont think the words 'mental and physical' fatigue mean anything to you. Lets not have this discussion. We'd both be wasting our time. Once you gain some knowledge about what sort of stress an Indian cricketer goes through, then we'll talk about who's fit and who's not.

he really should be rested, quite ridiculous that with new zeland, ipl and T20 hes not had a break Im quite sure Karthick can do well behind wicket in odis our bowling also needs total change again, kumar or patel would do nicely.

Your knowledge amazes me. I'm not sure whether its amusing or not.
Happens when you can't comprehend fact.
The game started my time 9:30 AM, and ended my time 5:30 PM. Subtract 45 minutes for Lunch. And you have? 7 hours and 15 minutes. And we did not play a test match today.
I didn't know you count sitting in the pavilion waiting for your bat or waiting for innings to get over as part of squatting in melting sunheat. But I really think you should subtract MOAR PLZ.
IF you have no idea bout the physical stress a cricketer undergoes, its not worth having this discussion.
You're right, I don't have an idea of what stress a professional cricket undergoes and probably never will because I will never be out there with them. Neither do you, and neither will you.
You are right. It takes more effort than squatting.
http://mausumidas1968.googlepages.com/wicketkeeper1.jpg/wicketkeeper1-large.jpg vs http://munfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/squat-franco-colombu-arnold-schwarzenegger-ken-waller.jpg Really? Your knowledge amazes me. I'm not sure whether its amusing or not.
Um, you clearly lack the idea of a 'sportsperson' and I dont think the words 'mental and physical' fatigue mean anything to you.
I play my share of sports. Was the Sports Capt in my high school, have taken very active part in school teams for cricket and soccer, their mandatory practice sessions and have spent days on entire weekends doing nothing but playing sports. Maybe that's why I'm the only one here who can clearly see the difference between Inzaman Ul-Haq and Ronaldinho? Yeah.

I applaud your involvement in sports. But perhaps, thats why you think the standard of cricket you play is the same standard that is held in international cricket. The very moment you equate the physical stress a player goes through in cricket with "standing around for 5 hours", you're being ignorant. When you say that you have stood in the sun for 7 hours and equate that with the players' efforts, you're being ignorant. What happens when you miss a stumping or catch or get a duck for your team? Do your get kicked out of your house? Do you get hounded by the media asking for why you failed? Does anyone, apart from yourself, expect anything out of you when you play for these teams at school? Do your school/classmates not talk to you or throw stones at your house in the evening when they walk back from school? Any of these? I highly doubt that. Our players undergo an enormous amount of pressure mentally, while having to battle physically in the sun. Do I think that the Indian team can compete with Brazil in a 90 minute soccer game? No. Do I think that the Brazil team can even match Zimbabwe in cricket? Probably not. Different sports = different skills = require different endurance levels.

I know there's an enormous amounts of mental stress our players play with out there. I have pointed that out earlier in this thread. That Brazil team will obviously get hammered by Zimbabwe in a cricket match, but I can bet they'll be just as fast if not faster in running between the wickets and fielding as well. But can Zimbabwe cricket players run for 90 minutes non stop in the ground? Hell no, cricket players aren't built for such requirements. And with that I also see your point, at the end of the day a game of cricket is equally tiring to cricket players as a game of soccer is to soccer players. Though I wouldn't use this excuse as an explanation for the team playing poorly. Some of the players have been brought back after months of rest. There's 2-3 days between every game, they've had a weeks rest between T20 and this. Dhoni's is a different case as he totally looks mentally exhausted but come'on, in just my opinion, you cannot blame physical exhaustion for the team's poor performance today. Dhoni said you cannot blame physical exhaustion for team's exit in T20.

I know there's an enormous amounts of mental stress our players play with out there. I have pointed that out earlier in this thread. That Brazil team will obviously get hammered by Zimbabwe in a cricket match, but I can bet they'll be just as fast if not faster in running between the wickets and fielding as well. But can Zimbabwe cricket players run for 90 minutes non stop in the ground? Hell no, cricket players aren't built for such requirements.
Thats all I was alluding to, mate.
And with that I also see your point, at the end of the day a game of cricket is equally tiring to cricket players as a game of soccer is to soccer players.
:icflove: Thats precisely it, and in this case, our players have been driven to ground with the amount of games they've played.
Though I wouldn't use this excuse as an explanation for the team playing poorly. Some of the players have been brought back after months of rest.
I never did either.
There's 2-3 days between every game, they've had a weeks rest between T20 and this.
Not more than 10 days between our game against vs. SA and this game.
Dhoni's is a different case as he totally looks mentally exhausted but come'on, but in just my opinion, you cannot blame physical exhaustion for the team's poor performance today.
I agree. The bowling and fielding was abysmal.
Dhoni said you cannot blame physical exhaustion for team's exit in T20.
And he's right. It wouldn't be fair to England, WI, and SA if we blamed fatigue rather than admit that we were beaten by a better team.

Even after such a scintillating performance by Yuvraj we won just on the edge. I am worried about the remaining 3 ODIs. You cant expect a single batsman to do it every time for you. Dhoni seriously seriously needs rest. He was just struggling and seemed in a lot of pain at times. I wouldnt mind if he opts out for the remaining 3 ODIs for Badrinath or someone else.