Talented Vs Hard working

Re: Talented Vs Hard working

They are all incredibly talented, but only Dravid, Kumble and Tendulkar have what i would call, an exceptional work-ethic. Dravid and Kumble's toil was just a consequence of all the criticism and challenges they had to face at certain stages of their career - especially Dravid. Tendulkar was always a hard working guy. He had to be - as cricket became his livelihood at a very young age. Wasim Jaffer is another one - not the most talented, but he has a tremendous work-ethic and a real sense of resilience. I haven't seen any Indian batsman get another chance after two separate axings...Jaffer is the man.
I see talent as a superior ability rarely seen in others. What makes you think Dravid as talented guy? I think his patience to stay in the crease for long pays high dividents. When you look at Tendulkar you see the class you would rarely see in others but it is negligible to find any when Dravid bats. I rate him highly for his persistence but not for any marked innate ability!
You got to be kidding me. The most technically sound batsmen in the world, the proud owner of exceptional cover drive,not to mention textbook style defense and incredible pull shot is not a talented guy ? Jeez, guys like Younis Khan , Kallis etc can be termed hard working but not talented , but Dravid not talented , give me a break !

Re: Talented Vs Hard working Looks like Yaseer Hameed was watching all the defensive skills when he said he was awed by Dravid's batting during the 270 innings. :lmao: Dravid plays percentage cricket. He can loft and play aggressive like the best of them, but he choses to be more responsible so that he can contribute more to the team. Did you see his innings of 50+ against WI (or was it SL) recently where he came towards the end of the innings and wacked the ball all over?

Re: Talented Vs Hard working in reply to someone's post, tht munaf has less talent than sreesanth..... Munaf is the most talented among the indian bowlers currently, along with Zak... But both have the laziest bums in the business too.... Sree has a great attitude and excellent seam position, but not as talented as the other two....

Re: Talented Vs Hard working The oldies Sachin,Dravid,Kumble are all exceptionally talented and hardworking...Ganguly is very talented but hard work has never been his forte.....Amongst the current crop Yuvraj ,Bhajji and Dhoni are extremely talented but their work ethic is questionable.

I'd rather not compare anyone to Tendulkar - he is peerless
Please dont say Tendulkar is peerless. I was not trying to discount Dravid's brilliance but rather make a comparison of him with the "most talented batsman" India has ever produced namely Sachin Tendulkar. The only thing to determine between these two is who has brought in more success? Whether its the talented one or the hard working one? Stephen King says "Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." This is true when you compare Tendulkar and Dravid. Look at their averages on series outside India. You would expect Tendulkar to come on top. The conditions, opposition, situation are all the exact same for both the players. Dravid is way ahead in averages outside India when compared to Tendulkar. Also see the performance on matches won Dravid outscores Tendulkar on averages. So its not right to call Tendulkar peerless infact he should be rated below Dravid purely based on averages outside Indian subcontinent.

Re: Talented Vs Hard working Dravid is not talented?? you gotta be kidding.. one of the best all time batting technique in cricket .. in today's game, more and more players are sloggers without technique.. IMO, Dravid and SRT both are Hard working + Talent..

Re: Talented Vs Hard working Bhai mere...Dravid is not 1/4th the batsman Tendulkar was. If you had watched them both playing at the peak of their careers, you would know this. ...the whole Dravid vs Tendulkar debate is an entirely different subject anyway. Solely in terms of TALENT though - Dravid, or anyone for that matter, isn't even worth comparing to Tendulkar. That guy was BORN to play the game and he is capable of playing the kind of shots which Dravid couldn't even dream of. You could say similar things about Laxman too, BTW - the closest thing to Tendulkar (but still miles off) we'll ever see

Bhai mere...Dravid is not 1/4th the batsman Tendulkar was. If you had watched them both playing at the peak of their careers, you would know this. ...the whole Dravid vs Tendulkar debate is an entirely different subject anyway. Solely in terms of TALENT though - Dravid, or anyone for that matter, isn't even worth comparing to Tendulkar. That guy was BORN to play the game and he is capable of playing the kind of shots which Dravid couldn't even dream of. You could say similar things about Laxman too, BTW - the closest thing to Tendulkar (but still miles off) we'll ever see
Predator, I'm not arguing with you on Tendulkar's Talent. I'm hundred percent in agreement that tendulkar is more talented than Dravid. But give me a straight answer, out of these two who has contributed more towards India's success in series played away from Indian subcontinent or Test matches overall? Dravid or Tendulkar?

Predator' date=' I'm not arguing with you on Tendulkar's Talent. I'm hundred percent in agreement that tendulkar is more talented than Dravid. But give me a straight answer, out of these two who has contributed more towards India's success in series played away from Indian subcontinent or Test matches overall? Dravid or Tendulkar?[/quote'] Like i said, it's a completely different subject altoegther - not relevant to the discussion we are having here. Sure, open a new thread and i'll give it a go.

Predator' date=' I'm not arguing with you on Tendulkar's Talent. I'm hundred percent in agreement that tendulkar is more talented than Dravid. But give me a straight answer, out of these two who has contributed more towards India's success in series played away from Indian subcontinent or Test matches overall? Dravid or Tendulkar?[/quote'] Like i said, it's a completely different subject altoegther - not relevant to the discussion we are having here. Sure, open a new thread and i'll give it a go.
Dont practise eating your words! Look at the thread title Talented Vs Hard Working or Tendulkar Vs Dravid if you want it that way!

The oldies Sachin' date='Dravid,Kumble are all exceptionally talented and hardworking...Ganguly is very talented but hard work has never been his forte.....Amongst the current crop Yuvraj ,Bhajji and Dhoni are extremely talented but their work ethic is questionable.[/quote'] Mandrake, as ever, sums it up. I am your Lothar, sir. :hail:

Dont practise eating your words! Look at the thread title Talented Vs Hard Working or Tendulkar Vs Dravid if you want it that way!
Sure, your call. In short; i don't think you can look at their achievements in isolation. It's a team sport after all - one man's effort might be up to the task, but if the rest fail then history will remember him as a loser. That is the case with Tendulkar. Dravid has contributed more in test series wins, but then again - he never batted under the same pressure or expectation as Tendulkar did when he was at his peak, and he also played in a decent Indian test side - not the case with Tendulkar who, at his peak - played in comparitively worse XI's. You have to look at it from every possible angle. But yeah, straight up - Dravid has contributed more, although Tendulkar was the better player

The oldies Sachin' date='Dravid,Kumble are all exceptionally talented and hardworking...Ganguly is very talented but hard work has never been his forte.....Amongst the current crop Yuvraj ,Bhajji and Dhoni are extremely talented but their work ethic is questionable.[/quote'] Mandrake, as ever, sums it up. I am your Lothar, sir. :hail:
no problem Doc Lothar :hic:

Sure, your call. In short; i don't think you can look at their achievements in isolation. It's a team sport after all - one man's effort might be up to the task, but if the rest fail then history will remember him as a loser. That is the case with Tendulkar. Dravid has contributed more in test series wins, but then again - he never batted under the same pressure or expectation as Tendulkar did when he was at his peak, and he also played in a decent Indian test side - not the case with Tendulkar who, at his peak - played in comparitively worse XI's. You have to look at it from every possible angle. But yeah, straight up - Dravid has contributed more, although Tendulkar was the better player
Predator, Dont you think saying Tendulkar played under pressure as utter nonsense. Just say Tendulkar cannot play under pressure or he crumbles under pressure. Now if you consider the sides both played just look at their performance after Dravid came into the side. You'll be surprised to know that he tops that too ahead of Tendulkar. Now if you ask me who has more shots in his repoitre? Yes it is Tendulkar but the Most Valuable Player for India is Rahul Dravid or simply the undisputed MVP as they call in other sports! So again the question remains is it the Talent or the Hard work that makes you successful?

Predator' date=' Dont you think saying Tendulkar played under pressure as utter nonsense. Just say Tendulkar cannot play under pressure or he crumbles under pressure.[/quote'] Pressure, as in the the expectations from the public - back in the 1990's, Tendulkar WAS India. Not just for Indians but for the opposition - HIS was the wicket which was key - get Tendulkar, and the game is YOURS. That was the state of the Indian cricket team back then, and that was also testament to Tendulkar's immense ability to influence the course of a match. Dravid NEVER commanded that kind of respect - prized wicket he may be. Tendulkar was expected to score a hundred in each and every match...THAT is PRESSURE. Not to mention the time he was captaining a mediocre outfit, but the public still expected him to be the saviour of the Indian cricket team simply because HE was at the helm. These were the unusual circumstances Tendulkar THRIVED in. Dravid by comparision, has NEVER played under such burden of expectation or pressure. On the contrary, he has had it easy. So to say Tendulkar couldn't play under pressure is a point which holds no water as far as i am concerned, sorry. Your "analogy" (if you can call it that !) is vague and silly; because you are completely overlooking other factors involved. BOTH Dravid and Tendulkar had talent and devoted hard-work into developing their game. Individually they BOTH became the most successful batsmen in Indian cricket history. You can't weigh the importance of one over the other. I recognise Tendulkar as the better player since he had MORE talent and an equally strong work-ethic as Dravid.

Re: Talented Vs Hard working Lets talk of the years before Dravid came into the team and cemented his place. Tvs used to shut down over the entire country once Sachin got out. That was what the state india was at that time. As for pure talent there is no one comparable to Sachin in the Indian squad. Dravid is a classical player. he will always be a plasure to watch. But for one to jump out of his seat and celebrate Sachin WAS the man. There are fewer sights in world cricket more pleasurable to watch than Sachin or Lara in full flow.