Ponting in the Ashes

Mamu

And 1 minute on day 5 is enough for him to start pointing fingers at the other team's spirit? You do know that a minute on day one is still equal to minute on day 5?
Don't you see, it's the intention. Deliberate time wasting compared to non deliberate time wasting. Do you really think he was time wasting or just trying to get answers from the umpire? Also, I'm not saying Ponting is your average sportsman, he is a bit of a sore loser, but I do think you guys absolutely exaggerate on anything he does
Don't you see, it's the intention. Deliberate time wasting compared to non deliberate time wasting. Do you really think he was time wasting or just trying to get answers from the umpire? Also, I'm not saying Ponting is your average sportsman, he is a bit of a sore loser, but I do think you guys absolutely exaggerate on anything he does
Let's see here : 1. Preventing the bowling side from bowling more than the minimum required overs is against the spirit - never mind if a team was chasing 100 in 15 overs, I am sure Ponting would have bowled 20 to them. 2. Down by a follow on lead, chatting up with the umpires and non striker after a decision has been made on a call that his team did not believe in by their reactions is within the spirit. Am I understanding this correctly?
So you think that he was deliberately time wasting? Christ...
No I don't and I am daft but not that stupid. The bottomline is that his actions took as much time out of a match as the opponents whom he was accusing of playing against the spirit, never mind the idea of not questioning the umpire after a decision. I asked you a simple question and I'll ask it again. If a team was chasing 100 runs with a minimum of 15 overs do you think Ponting or any captain in the world would have bowled a single extra ball? In the same sense a batting side is entitled to waste time to the extent that only the minimum number of overs are bowled if they are in a soup.Blame ICC and the rules if you will but not the team under the cosh.
No I don't and I am daft but not that stupid. The bottomline is that his actions took as much time out of a match as the opponents whom he was accusing of playing against the spirit, never mind the idea of not questioning the umpire after a decision. I asked you a simple question and I'll ask it again. If a team was chasing 100 runs with a minimum of 15 overs do you think Ponting or any captain in the world would have bowled a single extra ball? In the same sense a batting side is entitled to waste time to the extent that only the minimum number of overs are bowled if they are in a soup.Blame ICC and the rules if you will but not the team under the cosh.
Of course not. But that doesn't make what they did in that game right. Like with Ponting here, it doesn't make what he did wrong. Just cause it goes against the rule book. Anyways, if that is your theory then you Ponting is at blame for very few things, as he has never really been pulled up by the ICC.
Of course not. But that doesn't make what they did in that game right. Like with Ponting here, it doesn't make what he did wrong. Just cause it goes against the rule book. Anyways, if that is your theory then you Ponting is at blame for very few things, as he has never really been pulled up by the ICC.
No it doesn't make it right, but it clearly points to the hypocrite Ponting is when he does the same things and accuses the opposition of not playing in the spirit of the game. That was the only reason I entered this and similar other threads finally - I have very few problems with players stretching the rules as defined by words, but to accuse your opponents of doing it when you are doing the same or worse gets my goat.
No it doesn't make it right' date=' but it clearly points to the hypocrite Ponting is when he does the same things and accuses the opposition of not playing in the spirit of the game. That was the only reason I entered this and similar other threads finally - I have very few problems with players stretching the rules as defined by words, but to accuse your opponents of doing it when you are doing the same or worse gets my goat.[/quote'] well said prof... i dont see anything wrong in teams and captains and coaches do strategic things like time wasting, strangling the scoring rate by packing one side of the field, using an agile fielder as substitute, making pitches that suits home side etc etc. its not just england, even we indians have done it in the past. most recent example is nagpur test where dhoni went with a negative field set. it definitely looks ugly and can even be termed as 'not within the spirit'. but dhoni doesn't go around bad mouthing other captains around the world about what they do is right or wrong. nor does any other captain except the saviour of the spirit of thhe game one mr. ponting. the dumb ass guy he is, will do everything against the spirit of the game and yet have the guts to go around lecturing others... insane i say
In a week Ricky Ponting has gone from a captain in charge to an under-siege leader whose control is slipping. A match that began with Spirit of Cricket issues surrounding Ponting's response to the draw in Cardiff has quickly resulted in Australia losing theirs. If they save this match - they enter the fourth day 521 behind - it will be as stunning as England's effort in the opening Test. Last Sunday Ponting was expecting his team to roar to victory but as James Anderson and Monty Panesar held on the skipper showed his first grumpy signs, walking towards the umpire to question a decision and arguing, with justification, about England's support staff wasting time. Off the field he has been calm, friendly and approachable, but on it his mood can change like the English weather. This is a man who grew up winning, making hundreds and being feted. Life in his 30s has become more challenging and significantly less successful. Despite playing down, by his standards, the time wasting at Sophia Gardens, it became a major issue in between Tests and since then whenever he has been involved in anything remotely controversial he has been jeered by the Lord's crowd. No Shane Warne or Glenn McGrath leave Ponting as the main target. He is the only relic from the teams that dominated England before 2005, making him the most recognisable Australian player to local supporters. He is also the most important member of the side, setting the strategies, the example and the run-scoring lead. During this match he has not yet succeeded in any role. Australia were already falling apart when Ponting experienced six deliveries that showed his mind was losing not only its ruthlessness, but also its focus. The day before he was stunned to be given out to a ball he didn't hit - it should have been lbw instead, but that didn't ease Ponting's disgust - and after the third umpire gave him out he stood still for moment, opened his mouth and stared at Rudi Koertzen, the on-field official. As he walked to the pavilion, turning his head back occasionally, he was booed by the usually polite Lord's crowd. That was not abnormal behaviour from the leader, but the two mistakes in the field were distinctly un-Ponting. Kevin Pietersen was disorientated after an inswinger from Ben Hilfenhaus resulted in an lbw appeal and was more interested in the umpire's decision than where the ball had gone as he stumbled around the pitch. It had gone to Ponting at second slip: all the wickets were visible, Pietersen was metres from safety and Ponting's arm is one of the deadliest in the game. He missed. Standing at the same spot in the following over, Ponting spilled what should have been a comfortable catch off a Ravi Bopara push. The bowler Peter Siddle was so stunned he bent over and grabbed his head in both hands. It's not the reaction a young fast man usually displays when his captain drops one. Ponting's fingers were facing towards the sky as he crouched down for the take when they needed to be pointing at the ground. A fielder of Ponting's standard might miss one of those chances in a year at practice, but he did it twice in a couple of minutes. His side's distress has changed the way he thinks. It used to be that if a bowler was struggling Ponting could throw the ball to the next man and wait for the results. Now he can't even trust himself. These errors occurred after he brought off Nathan Hauritz, who had removed both openers in two overs after lunch and did not bowl again until the third session, when he picked up Bopara. The effective swing of Hilfenhaus was used until tea instead, achieving lots of close calls, including two French cuts from Pietersen, but no breakthroughs. Ponting's hunch hadn't work. Arms were waved at fielders and his fingers spent a lot of time rubbing his chin without the appropriate inspiration. In the over before tea Ponting was frustrated again, initiating a conversation with Pietersen in the aftermath of a debatable catch by Hauritz at mid-on. With hands in pockets, Ponting walked up to the batsman via the umpire Koetzen. He swears his players don't claim catches unless they are out, but his calls for a gentleman's agreement on these types of rulings have been rejected by all opposing captains. They don't trust the Australians either. In five innings at Lord's Ponting has 72 runs and he started this game hoping to continue Australia's streak of not losing at the home of cricket since 1934. Four years ago he was in charge when his team handed back the urn after 16 years. England supporters have got it wrong. They should be cheering Ponting's Ashes contributions, not booing them.
No it doesn't make it right' date=' but it clearly points to the hypocrite Ponting is when he does the same things and accuses the opposition of not playing in the spirit of the game. That was the only reason I entered this and similar other threads finally - I have very few problems with players stretching the rules as defined by words, but to accuse your opponents of doing it when you are doing the same or worse gets my goat.[/quote'] Fair enough, I respect your opinion. However, I don't think what Ponting did was hypocritical as he wasn't intentionally trying to waste time. Other then that, fair enough.
RICKY Ponting lost his cool, Mitchell Johnson lost his radar and Australia lost their way in an Ashes meltdown in the second Test at Lord's. On a day when England (6-311) snatched an extraordinary 521-run lead, Ponting stood toe to toe with Kevin Pietersen and had a heated confrontation with umpire Rudi Koertzen as a catching controversy flared. In a major moment of the Test, Ravi Bopara pulled a Johnson delivery to Nathan Hauritz at mid-on who claimed a low, diving catch. Bopara stood his ground and the catch was referred to third umpire Nigel Llong who refused to give the batsman out as replays were inconclusive as to if the ball had bounced. However Ponting had angry words with Koertzen and Pietersen also became involved - with the Australian captain and the star England batsman standing toe to toe. It continued a dramatic day in which Ponting had committed two terrible fielding bloopers as England continued their Ashes surge.
More from theaustralian.com.au

Old man gets older In a week Ricky Ponting has gone from a captain in charge to an under-siege leader whose control is slipping. A match that began with Spirit of Cricket issues surrounding Ponting's response to the draw in Cardiff has quickly resulted in Australia losing theirs. :hysterical::hysterical: If they save this match - they enter the fourth day 521 behind - it will be as stunning as England's effort in the opening Test. Last Sunday Ponting was expecting his team to roar to victory but as James Anderson and Monty Panesar held on the skipper showed his first grumpy signs, walking towards the umpire to question a decision and arguing, with justification, about England's support staff wasting time. Off the field he has been calm, friendly and approachable, but on it his mood can change like the English weather. This is a man who grew up winning, making hundreds and being feted. Life in his 30s has become more challenging and significantly less successful. :yay::yay::yay: Despite playing down, by his standards, the time wasting at Sophia Gardens, it became a major issue in between Tests and since then whenever he has been involved in anything remotely controversial he has been jeered by the Lord's crowd. No Shane Warne or Glenn McGrath leave Ponting as the main target. He is the only relic from the teams that dominated England before 2005, making him the most recognisable Australian player to local supporters. He is also the most important member of the side, setting the strategies, the example and the run-scoring lead. During this match he has not yet succeeded in any role. Australia were already falling apart when Ponting experienced six deliveries that showed his mind was losing not only its ruthlessness, but also its focus. The day before he was stunned to be given out to a ball he didn't hit - it should have been lbw instead, but that didn't ease Ponting's disgust - and after the third umpire gave him out he stood still for moment, opened his mouth and stared at Rudi Koertzen, the on-field official. As he walked to the pavilion, turning his head back occasionally, he was booed by the usually polite Lord's crowd. That was not abnormal behaviour from the leader, but the two mistakes in the field were distinctly un-Ponting. Kevin Pietersen was disorientated after an inswinger from Ben Hilfenhaus resulted in an lbw appeal and was more interested in the umpire's decision than where the ball had gone as he stumbled around the pitch. It had gone to Ponting at second slip: all the wickets were visible, Pietersen was metres from safety and Ponting's arm is one of the deadliest in the game. He missed. Standing at the same spot in the following over, Ponting spilled what should have been a comfortable catch off a Ravi Bopara push. The bowler Peter Siddle was so stunned he bent over and grabbed his head in both hands. It's not the reaction a young fast man usually displays when his captain drops one. Siddle had every reason to be mighty pissed off... a much senior bowler would have showed :finger: to ponting Ponting's fingers were facing towards the sky (like this? :finger:) as he crouched down for the take when they needed to be pointing at the ground. A fielder of Ponting's standard might miss one of those chances in a year at practice, but he did it twice in a couple of minutes. His side's distress has changed the way he thinks. It used to be that if a bowler was struggling Ponting could throw the ball to the next man and wait for the results. Now he can't even trust himself. These errors occurred after he brought off Nathan Hauritz, who had removed both openers in two overs after lunch and did not bowl again until the third session, when he picked up Bopara. The effective swing of Hilfenhaus was used until tea instead, achieving lots of close calls, including two French cuts from Pietersen, but no breakthroughs. Ponting's hunch hadn't work. Arms were waved at fielders and his fingers spent a lot of time rubbing his chin without the appropriate inspiration. and a lot of spitting on the finger to go with it.. Dirtly little *** (well... i censored it myself before the admen wake up) In the over before tea Ponting was frustrated again, initiating a conversation with Pietersen in the aftermath of a debatable catch by Hauritz at mid-on. With hands in pockets, Ponting walked up to the batsman via the umpire Koetzen. He swears his players don't claim catches unless they are out, but his calls for a gentleman's agreement on these types of rulings have been rejected by all opposing captains. They don't trust the Australians either. Its a joke that this shameless scumbag still goes around at the beginning of every series only to be spit on the face by rival captains saying "BS.. we dont trust you and your men". Even the likes of mortaza and porterfield wont trust him In five innings at Lord's Ponting has 72 runs and he started this game hoping to continue Australia's streak of not losing at the home of cricket since 1934. Four years ago he was in charge when his team handed back the urn after 16 years. England supporters have got it wrong. They should be cheering Ponting's Ashes contributions, not booing them. That line is the best. :hatsoff: to Ponting... for his contributions to Ashes history By Peter English on cricinfo.com

Can Ponting hit a match saving century.. We all know Ponting's prowess of churning out centuries at will. We also know that most of those centuries have gone on to win the match for the aussies. Can Ponting produce a match saving ton? Here is the chance.. i'm betting big time on Punter to crack a century or may be even a double to save this test.. how many are with me... PS: But I am not confident to put my money on this thread being left alone and not merged into the "Ponting in Ashes thread"... :hatsoff: to admen