Ponting doesn't learn from his mistakes

"Katich must replace Ricky as captain" Former stumper Steve Rixon believes Australia has lost their ruthless cutting edge under Ricky Ponting. More... Sunday 30th August 2009 "Katich must replace Ricky as captain" Former stumper Steve Rixon believes Australia has lost their ruthless cutting edge under Ricky Ponting. And he wants Simon Katich to take over the Test captaincy reins. According to him, Ponting, despite being a magnificent batsman, has never been a great captain and the team mellowed down under his leadership. "We've lost our edge" "It's time to allow a stronger character like Simon Katich to take over," he argued. "We've lost our edge. I don't relate to the brand of cricket we are playing under Ricky. We aren't playing the sort of cricket that has made us ruthless and a team that no one really likes to play," Rixon said. "Teams aren't capitulating under pressure like they used to. We seem to have a more timid nature...and that could certainly have a bearing on a tight series like the one in England," he was quoted as saying in 'The Daily Telegraph'. "If we're going to look at change, I'd be looking at Simon Katich. Simon is a tenacious leader. I worked with him at NSW and I know what he can offer as a captain. He's tough, he won't take a backward step, he plays aggressive cricket - and that is synonymous with the Australian style," Rixon added. Lashing out at Ponting, Rixon said, "Ricky will be remembered as a great batsman who led from the front, but he won't be a great captain. I've sat back and really hoped Ricky would be a great captain, but I'm not seeing that." Dwelling on the team's Ashes debacle, Rixon said, "We're struggling against sides we should be beating. England are renowned for capitulating under pressure, but we never got ruthless or flexed our muscle." Like Rixon, former Test player Greg Matthews also finds Ponting not in the same league of Steve Waugh or Ian Chappell and backed Katich. "Before the Ashes series, I felt the strongest man in Australian cricket was Simon Katich. His character, his intent, he bats like his life depends on every ball," Matthews said. "It's just obvious for me. If I was in the trenches, he'd be the first guy I'd pick. I don't think it's inaccurate that Ricky is quite regimented in the way he goes about his leadership. He's not dynamic, as such, like a Mark Taylor or an Ian Chappell," Matthews added.

The lack of support for Ponting is frustrating me, they are making it out as though we lost the ashes because of him. He is a good captain, he has proven that over the years and whether you say it was just because of the great players or not, he still got us the wins. This is a completely new team, it takes time to make things go the way we want, but I don't feel we are too far off. Instead of putting the blame on Ponting, let's give credit to England for winning, maybe they wern't the best side over the series, but they won the critical moments and at the end of the day they won the series, that is all that counts. Too many people have chosen to use Ponting as the scapegoat, they are panicking because our dominance has ended, putting the blame on the skipper and making him lose his captaincy wont do the team any good. If we had won the final game, these stories would not be circulating, Ponting has been made the scapegoat. The team should be blamed for an uninspiring series. Never thought I'd say this.. but well done England, I think that they got what they deserved.

No, he is not a good captain. He has done nothing to prove that he is a good captain. He has made mistakes, repeated mistakes and looked lost when in trouble. The wins are simply because of a great team, not because of his captaincy. And as soon as some of his key players are gone, he is losing matches.

Guest Gunner
He did take 10 wickets in the tied test at Madras....much better than P.Ricky has done in his outings in India.:winky:
Come on, you know what I mean.
No' date=' he is not a good captain. He has done nothing to prove that he is a good captain. He has made mistakes, repeated mistakes and looked lost when in trouble. The wins are simply because of a great team, not because of his captaincy. And as soon as some of his key players are gone, he is losing matches.[/quote'] Right.. So that is all Pontings fault then is it, that we didn't win the ashes? He did captain a rebuilding side to a series victory in South Africa. A captain can only do so much, what makes you so knowledgable into him being a bad captain.

Worth a bumpski this. Did cheat a bit so its not my amazing memory, read a cricinfo article where Hussey points this out Joburg test in March, Seaming wicket, (had branches growing out of it according to Huss :hehe:) Aussies bat first and are 30-3 then 180-5 before some pretty good knocks rescue them- ended up winning that. http://www.cricinfo.com/rsavaus2009/engine/current/match/350472.html Same error here, in arguably worse conditions and possibly better swing bowlers :headshake:

Right.. So that is all Pontings fault then is it, that we didn't win the ashes? He did captain a rebuilding side to a series victory in South Africa. A captain can only do so much, what makes you so knowledgable into him being a bad captain.
Whatever made you so knowledgeable to decide that he is a great captain. Great decision this match BTW. What a thoughtful one. Green top, over cast conditions- batting first is an awesome idea. Can there be a better captain than Ponting? No way. Too intelligent to be human.
In fact' date= I won't be surprised if WI(full strength) or Pakistan win a test here and there down under during the coming season. prophetic words perhaps from Outsider ? :cantstop:
Their batting is utter crap in any conditions favoring any kind of bowling and their collapse ratio is only rivaled by Pakistan amongst international teams.
If you are only going to bat every time after winning toss no matter what' date=' why do you need a captain? To make bowling chnages only?[/quote'] Well, Pakistan could have won the toss and fielded as well. Their malaise has got to do with being a team full of uber FTBs rather than some captaincy decision at the toss. Spin, swing, seam, bounce - anything happens and Australia collapse.