An ALTERNATIVE all time India ODI team

Sooda

An ALTERNATIVE All time India ODI team- The proviso being the players should not have played ANY kind of limited overs cricket. So pre 1975 ish. Theres a blog on cricinfo doing the same for England Here goes... Mushtaq Ali- Agressive opener with great footwork used to walk down to fast bowlers Mankad- Great all rounder, The anchor to Ali in this team and of course a fine left arm spinner Polly Umrigar- Big Aggressive top order bat. Good slip and bowls brisk off spin M A K Pataudi- another attacking bat and good fielder. the captain Chandu Borde- Solid bat who can bowl useful leg spin and a good fielder Budhi Kunderan (wk)- opened the innings for India and did so in some aggressive syle. Lala Amarnath- Hard hitting bat and medium pace cut and swing bowler Salim Durrani- left hand bat who was another good striker of the ball and good spinner capable of unplayable deliveries L Amar Singh- one of Indias best ever pacers S Gupte- great leggie M Nissar- Singhs new ball partner Good fielding side, pacy new ball duo, great spin attack with lots of options, very handy allrounders, aggressive batsmen, bats deep- itll beat our current ODI lot anyday :P

I considered Engineer Kabira, but he's played ODIs. In 5 of them in fact. Which is what made this so hard, so many of the great and the good of the late 60s and early 70s have played one day cricket. Even Chandrashekhar has played one odi. If you make a team thats just 'not played T20's but could have played in one dayers' then you can rope in Kapil, Azhar, Jadeja... itd be a good one. Anyways. Just one response ! Argh. I was so proud of this effort, but Im guessing its a real connoisseurs post one that you heathens here will not appreciate. Maybe I should email it to Mihir Bose and ask him what he thinks.

^No, I didnt consdier Merchant because I thought he'd be too slow a run scorer... Maybe Chandu Borde instead of Nayudu, good bat, bowled a bit and fielded pretty well. I just read this article on 'Indias best fielder before the ODI era' and that threw up a few names- Abid Ali- '...his misfortune was that he was born 20 years too early. His game was made to order for one-day cricket: he bowled brisk medium-pace, fielded outstandingly, and was a busy lower-order batsman who ran between the wickets as if on invisible skates.' Some guy called Rusi Surti who can be 12th man, Being strict with the 'should have played ODIs rule' means Abid Ali and indeed Solkar can not make the cut

Mods- Can i ask a favour please Im not sure were not allowed to change thread titles but, I was hoping to change 'the all time india t20' title of my post to 'An ALTERNATIVE all time India ODI team' It makes perfect sense when you read the thread. Then you can delete this if you wish Love you guys, Sooda