Food - Yummy?

Anonymous

Not everyone who eats beef of pork go hunting for pigs and cows. People try all these disgusting dishes (starting from Buffalo's testis to horse penises) in the name of tasting exotic delicacies. Why cant such a thing be done for human flesh too?
Don't know, don't wanna. Apparently u have nerves of steel. Just thinking about it gives me the creepies.

All meat that is eaten is from animals that are killed specifically for that purpose. People don't even eat animals that died due to any other reason. So you want to start human meat production by butchering humans in factories ?
That doesnt add anything to the argument at all. My point of why eating human flesh is considered such a taboo goes far beyond the sole reason of humans not being able to be killed for the purpose of meat-production. I suspect there's a spiritual/philosophical aspect to it that i am trying to provoke discussion about. Anyways, coming to the your point, just because someone killed a buffalo for the purpose of meat does not in any way reduce or dilute the intensity of the act, which is essentially an act of murder. This may sound a bit factitious, but try telling to a goat before you're going to slaughter it 'It a'right darling, you needn't be worried. We're killing you coz we need meat..'.

Don't know' date=' don't wanna. Apparently u have nerves of steel. Just thinking about it gives me the creepies.[/quote'] Well, its easier for me because i am vegetarian. So, i do not have the ability to distinguish between different 'types' of meat. For me, its either meat, or it isnt. But I'd seriously like to know, if someday i do decide to eat meat, what prevents me from going to some restaurant and ordering some exotic dishes made from human meat, just like the way these Western travel/food guide hosts travel to the far east and eat all sorts of stuff.

That doesnt add anything to the argument at all. My point of why eating human flesh is considered such a taboo goes far beyond the sole reason of humans not being able to be killed for the purpose of meat-production. I suspect there's a spiritual/philosophical aspect to it that i am trying to provoke discussion about.
Surely if you have eat it, someone has to die for it, right ? It is taboo because you would have to kill a human being to eat human flesh. Killing is taboo alright ?
Anyways, coming to the your point, just because someone killed a buffalo for the purpose of meat does not in any way reduce or dilute the intensity of the act, which is essentially an act of murder. This may sound a bit factitious, but try telling to a goat before you're going to slaughter it 'It a'right darling, you needn't be worried. We're killing you coz we need meat..'.
The point is not about the intensity of act/murder. What I am saying is that people don't eat a buffalo/chicken that died due to natural reasons. Because that is supposedly unhealthy and not fit for human consumption.

Well, its easier for me because i am vegetarian. So, i do not have the ability to distinguish between different 'types' of meat. For me, its either meat, or it isnt. But I'd seriously like to know, if someday i do decide to eat meat, what prevents me from going to some restaurant and ordering some exotic dishes made from human meat, just like the way these Western travel/food guide hosts travel to the far east and eat all sorts of stuff.
Some laws that prohibit murdering humans will prevent the hotel from having such dishes. :hysterical::hysterical:

Surely if you have eat it' date=' someone has to die for it, right ? It is taboo because you would have to kill a human being to eat human flesh. Killing is taboo alright ?[/quote'] So killing humans is taboo, while the murder of any other animal species is perfectly acceptable?
The point is not about the intensity of act/murder. What I am saying is that people don't eat a buffalo/chicken that died due to natural reasons. Because that is supposedly unhealthy and not fit for human consumption.
Come on dude, 95% of meat shops in India and the rest of the third world are operated in some THE most filthy squalid conditions. Dont give me this 'unhealthy and unfit' argument. At this point, I was gonna say a lot many things, but figured out it may not go down well with the general sensitivities of the rest of the posters. So, I'll resist (for now)

Some laws that prohibit murdering humans will prevent the hotel from having such dishes. :hysterical::hysterical:
Why are you so obsessed with this 'to eat meat, you have to first kill it for meat-production purposes' argument? So, taking this really to the edge, if a restaurant chain can verifiably prove that all the human meat it serves on its menu were obtained from orphaned bodies that lay unclaimed on the morgue, would it be ok then? No one was killed, no crime was committed., right?

Well, its easier for me because i am vegetarian. So, i do not have the ability to distinguish between different 'types' of meat. For me, its either meat, or it isnt. But I'd seriously like to know, if someday i do decide to eat meat, what prevents me from going to some restaurant and ordering some exotic dishes made from human meat, just like the way these Western travel/food guide hosts travel to the far east and eat all sorts of stuff.
Well human meat is said to taste like bland pork. Its also called as Long Pig. :nervous: Frankly its psychological. I have tasted rabbit, boar and stuff but for some reason have difficulty in eating beef. Just the thought of eating another person definitely puts me off. But if someone offered me human meat without telling me what it is, I might consume it.

So another thread has been derailed with great success. Gotta love ICF. This whole discussion has left me slightly nauseous and questioning my eating habits.
Depends on what you define by 'derailed' gal. If the 'derailment' was actually a an entirely different, yet meaningful argument (not to claim that this is one..), i thin most of us wouldnt have an issue with it.

So killing humans is taboo' date= while the murder of any other animal species is perfectly acceptable?
Yes, absolutely.
Come on dude, 95% of meat shops in India and the rest of the third world are operated in some THE most filthy squalid conditions. Dont give me this 'unhealthy and unfit' argument.
This is not just an argument. Knowingly eating an animal that died out of natural causes (which most probably will be some kind of disease) is far worse than buying meat from a place which is not hygenic (because at least you can clean it with boiling water etc.) If you go to a place which is not so clean (happens in small towns), most people make sure they have the animal cut infront of them so they know they are not being sold meat from a animal that died out of natural causes. But in most decent sized cities, meat sold is pretty good quality (packaged and frozen). Anyways there is always some risk involved in eating meat, but for tandoori chicken and seekh kabab, I will take that risk a billion times. (I eat chicken everyday!)

Depends on what you define by 'derailed' gal. If the 'derailment' was actually a an entirely different' date=' yet meaningful argument (not to claim that this is one..), i thin most of us wouldnt have an issue with it.[/quote'] Just an observation. I have a tendency to go off topic so you won't hear a serious complaint from me anytime soon.

Yes' date=' absolutely.[/quote'] And why is that?
This is not just an argument. Knowingly eating an animal that died out of natural causes (which most probably will be some kind of disease) is far worse than buying meat from a place which is not hygenic (because at least you can clean it with boiling water etc.) If you go to a place which is not so clean (happens in small towns), most people make sure they have the animal cut infront of them so they know they are not being sold meat from a animal that died out of natural causes. But in most decent sized cities, meat sold is pretty good quality (packaged and frozen).
If you're actually trying to tell me that every person who eats meat ensures that the animal was killed and preserved in hygienic conditions, then all i can say you're deluding yourself. Again, most slaughter houses in India (and other third world countries) are absolutely disgusting to even look at, let alone buy meat from. Besides, every time you go to a restaurant and eat, do you ensure that the place from where the meat was obtained used healthy and hygienic practices? You obviously dont, just like how yours truly, as a vegetarian, didnt check to see if all the veggies were grown properly.

If you're actually trying to tell me that every person who eats meat ensures that the animal was killed and preserved in hygienic conditions, then all i can say you're deluding yourself. Again, most slaughter houses in India (and other third world countries) are absolutely disgusting to even look at, let alone buy meat from.
Dude, I already said they are not hygenic ..read my post again.
Besides, every time you go to a restaurant and eat, do you ensure that the place from where the meat was obtained used healthy and hygienic practices? You obviously dont, just like how yours truly, as a vegetarian, didnt check to see if all the veggies were grown properly.
As I said in previous post, there is always risk involved, but there are various ways to make sure you are getting good stuff. In America, FDA/USDA takes care of it .

Dude, I already said they are not hygenic ..read my post again. As I said in previous post, there is always risk involved, but there are various ways to make sure you are getting good stuff. In America, FDA takes care of it .
We're getting completely side-tracked from my main argument here. Anyways, i see that you have (intentionally or unintentionally) chose not to answer a very important question that i posed to you, so here we go again - 'If a restaurant chain can verifiably prove that all the human meat it serves on its menu is from orphaned, abandoned bodies that lay unclaimed in the morgue, will that be acceptable? No one was killed for the purpose of producing meat, no crime was committed'.

We're getting completely side-tracked from my main argument here. Anyways, i see that you have (intentionally or unintentionally) chose not to answer a very important question that i posed to you, so here we go again - 'If a restaurant chain can verifiably prove that all the human meat it serves on its menu is from orphaned, abandoned bodies that lay unclaimed in the morgue, will that be acceptable? No one was killed for the purpose of producing meat, no crime was committed'.
I mentioned animals to make you understand that in our current society, NO ONE eats meat from animals that died out of natural causes. So why would any one eat meat from a human that died out of natural causes ? If the person did not die out of natural causes, that means he was killed...and hence it is crime.

I think it is pretty obvious that killing a human being is very different from killing a chicken. I don't know what you looking for here.
Just merely stating its different doesnt make it one. All animals are creations of the process of evolutions and have as much as a claim to right to life as any other species, including any other humans. And most animals, especially the ones that are linked very close to us in the evolutionary chain have emotions/instincts that resemble very to the ones we have - Ecstacy, fear, lust, hunger, rage, pain etc. That being the case, why is it perfectly acceptable to kill an animal? Just like how when you kill a human, he is going to scream in pain, with blood hurtling out of his body, its the exactly the case when you slaughter a goat.