How does McGrath deliver all the time ?

Bumper

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ?

BTW McGrath ended up with 26 wickets' date=' the highest number of wickets in any world cup. That is a world record too. What better way to end a career? Retired when was at the top of his game.[/quote'] Don't all the Aussies... :chin: They are just too good.

I see a lot of McGrath in Ishant Sharma. The same ability to extract good bounce and an uncanny line/length with great control. Obviously Sharma isn't that consistent yet nor has the experience. McGrath was special because he not only had control and accuracy but he could work out batsmen very quickly. He knew if a batsmen was weak on the front foot, or was in doubt about his offstump and with his natural angles he could always delivery the ball on the off stump line and get it to move away slightly to induce the edge. What he changed with great control was his length. Whether to get the batsmen driving on the front foot off a fuller length, or to drop it on a good length or short to make them play deliveries that came up to your chest. I have high hopes that Sharma will learn this as well. Right now he can bowl a great line/length with subtle deviations off the seam but once he masters how to slightly change the lengths to target a batsman's weakenesses then he'll be a wonderful. Already you can see how effective he is as first change bowler in the ODIs. Instead of taking the new ball he came in after 10 overs and his first over immediately gave the batsmen problems with the high bounce. I think he got a few wickets that way.

I see a lot of McGrath in Ishant Sharma. The same ability to extract good bounce and an uncanny line/length with great control. Obviously Sharma isn't that consistent yet nor has the experience. McGrath was special because he not only had control and accuracy but he could work out batsmen very quickly. He knew if a batsmen was weak on the front foot, or was in doubt about his offstump and with his natural angles he could always delivery the ball on the off stump line and get it to move away slightly to induce the edge. What he changed with great control was his length. Whether to get the batsmen driving on the front foot off a fuller length, or to drop it on a good length or short to make them play deliveries that came up to your chest. I have high hopes that Sharma will learn this as well. Right now he can bowl a great line/length with subtle deviations off the seam but once he masters how to slightly change the lengths to target a batsman's weakenesses then he'll be a wonderful. Already you can see how effective he is as first change bowler in the ODIs. Instead of taking the new ball he came in after 10 overs and his first over immediately gave the batsmen problems with the high bounce. I think he got a few wickets that way.
Good post. Agreed that there is a lot that Ishant has in common with the young McGrath but he's pretty much identical to Gillespie in his bowling action, similar methods to get batsmen out, batting, hair, etc, etc. Both Ishant and Gillespie seam the ball a lot more than Mcgrath ever did. But I just hope that he gets the bowling brain from you know who.

McGrath was so great because he could put the ball wherever he wanted. All (or at least most) bowlers know where they want to put the ball that would make it difficult for the batsmen, not all bowlers are capable of landing the ball exactly where they want, McGrath had the ability to do that and on a regular basis

Good post. Agreed that there is a lot that Ishant has in common with the young McGrath but he's pretty much identical to Gillespie in his bowling action' date=' similar methods to get batsmen out, batting, hair, etc, etc. Both Ishant and Gillespie seam the ball a lot more than Mcgrath ever did. But I just hope that he gets the bowling brain from you know who.[/quote'] Good point. I hadn't thought of Gillespie probably because I never focused on him too much and didn't see enough of him.

More than putting the ball where he wanted, McGrath was better than almost anyone at planning dismissals, working out the best ways to set up batsmen as per their weaknesses and getting them that way. On top of that he had the sheer skill to follow through with his plans, so when he was on a roll a top lineup could be flattened in no time.

Akram was a nothing more than a tailender bully. I rate Waqar and at his peak' date= Shoaib - as better bowlers who could scare the daylights out of the best batsmen. Yeah, he could bowl 6 different balls in an over but so could Manoj Prabhakar and no one refers to him as the greatest ODI bowler ever ?As for McGrath; there is no doubt that he is one fo the best ODI bowlers ever, but the greatest ODI bowler ever ? Not a chance. For starters, he hasn't even been the best bowler in the Aussie team. During the '90's, he was always outperformed by Damien Fleming, and then in the post-millenium era Brett Lee has been the main man in Australia's bowling attack. In recent years, Bracken is just as handy as McGrath - with better stats to boot. McGrath held up an end and fed off the others...he did that to telling effect, but if i wanted a bowler to win me an ODI through sheer force of will, i'd definitely look away from McGrath.
What an absurd comment to make .Wasim used to take the wickets of the most destructive openers in the world cricket consistently .That is Adam Gilchrist and Sanath Jayasurya. And again his battle with Viv Richards during late 80s was a sight to behold. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/5390.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting;view=bowler_summary Again batsmen like Desmond haynes ,Mark Waugh ,Brian Lara ...alot of the names he dismissed quite often . If u don't like him and prefer Donald over him fine .Donald is a champion bowler .But don't talk out of ingnorance.Wasim was also responsible for many wickets falling from the other end too. i saw waqar looking very average and expensive sometimes, it is Wasim with his nagging variety suffocate the batsman .Shoaib another one who can be very expensive and way ward . Manoj prabhakar got his career destroyed by Jayasurya.poor comparison. And Wasim is the best death over bowler i have ever seen . He just won't give much . Waqar was great too but far more expensive .Akhtar if he chucks he will fine .
More than putting the ball where he wanted' date=' McGrath was better than almost anyone at planning dismissals, working out the best ways to set up batsmen as per their weaknesses and getting them that way.[/quote'] I already said the same thing. I think you need to stick to playing the cowbell!!! :winky: :hysterical:

Bossbhai, i thought we were discussing about ODIs here,since predz asks like ''greatest ODI bolwer of all time''? .As for tests . Yes he is behind MCgrath in that case .Again Mcgrath is statistically brilliant than Wasim,no question. But we should be consistent with its usage .Ponting has better statistics than Sachin .Lara too .Scored runs in lesser test matches .so on.

Akram was a new ball bowler in most games, hassan. In 177 innings that he played out of 181, he either bowled the first or second over of the opposition innings. That's BS. Meanwhile, McGraaaaaa's top order stats - WOW.
What I'm saying is that McGrath could bowl 7 overs on the trot, but in Wasim's case, most of career he'd bowl 5 overs tops because he was a lot quicker than McGrath and would then bowl in the middle and again at the end, where he was more deadly than McG. Anyhoo, we know Akram was deadly due to reverse swing- is this a surprise?