How does McGrath deliver all the time ?

Bumper

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ?

This guy is almost guaranteed to knock out the top order, come big games. How does he do it so consistently ? What does McGrath have that other bowlers do not have ?
Tremendous mental toughness along with the talent and the accuracy that he has. And he very well exploits the aura built around him since the years!!

What does McGrath have that other bowlers do not have ?
Aussie background perhaps. I wonder if Mcgrath played for South Africa he would still perform the same way? Kinda doubt it since Pollock and Ntini, both good bowlers in their own right, have failed to deliver a la Mcgrath. Whether its a mindset thing, or a cricket set-up, a hunger to retain a place in International Side or simply to make sure Baggy Green does not lose...there has to be something typically Aussie about this. Afterall Mcgrath was written off and Tait and Bracken thought as lead bowler going into WC. But see how Mcgrath have left them behind. For that matter check out Hayden's performance as well. xxx

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? We all talk about his line and length, accuracy et al but where does it come from? Hard work, bowling action, experience, training and the self confidence is what does it for him I think. Without these qualities it is impossible to hone the skill to do it on a daily basis.

Re: How does McGrath deliver all the time ? Batsmen play his reputation instead of his deliveries. McGrath really isn't all that great - talent wise, there have been better bowlers than him, but he just knows how to bowl a tight delivery better than others. Not to mention the support-cast he has - the likes of Bracken have identical figures, as does Lee.

In about 10 years time' date=' i guess Bracken and Lee will also be the greatest bowlers that ever lived ?[/quote'] No, I think they are already past the stage of achieving greatness atleast in test cricket. And who knows if they can pull up consistent success against the best in business of their generation like McGrath has against Lara, Dravid, Tendulkar, Kallis etc. as well as take bucketload of wickets at a measerly average why not?